survey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

survey

Do you really think you'll see a StKilda premiership in your lifetime?

If all was even, it is a 1 in 18 chance.

Now with the 2 new teams getting all those draft concessions, in about 3 years they should be odds on

Richer teams like Pies, Adelaide, WCE, Hawthorn have a distinct advantage also, with training facilities, staff, player programs, better draws

So realistically we might be a 1 in 25 chance, Im 43 now so I reckon I will see a premiership, but it seems a long way away right now.

Happy to be surprised though

Nee!
Greg T
Club Player

Re: survey

I really thought 09 was the one.
With the expanded comp etc,just can't see it happening for me.
1 Flag in. 140 years ,maybe my kids will...I'm 53

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Griggsy
SS Life Member

I hope so, got a lot of living left to do. If I don't I am totally donating my body to science to become some kind of immortal cyborg....it could happen.

Jakes
Club Player

I've made a pact with death that it only comes for me after I've seen StKilda win a premiership. I was born in the mid 80s so I missed all the terrible times but the losses in 09 and 10 were obviously hard to bear.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

2022ish

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Been 40 years now .... 4 grandfinal.... No cup

Best indicator of future performance, is past performance....

Put it this way,

Do you think Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton will?!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Been 40 years now .... 4 grandfinal.... No cup

Put it this way,

Do you think Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton will?!
I couldn't give a rats flying Blight toss bag about those teams.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:Do you really think you'll see a StKilda premiership in your lifetime?
Yes. If we don't believe, who will?

Sydney and Geelong have shown us recently that the past means nothing.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:I hope so, got a lot of living left to do. If I don't I am totally donating my body to science to become some kind of immortal cyborg....it could happen.
that is genius, some part of your body will see a premiership...I can see a whoile new angle for organ donation built on that idea

Nee!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You should be concerned about opponents.... They are the teams hat have to be overcome to win it....

Premierships are not handed out evenly and there is no turn... You need to earn one!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am 72. What hope have I got? Still, I was there in 66.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

im 25, and yes i believe i will definitely see one...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am 72. What hope have I got?
Hang in there Barry, you could be around for another 30 years.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im 31 ... i would like to think i will see one in my life time ... but then again who knows i could drop off the perch tomorrow

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
mordi
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Been 40 years now .... 4 grandfinal.... No cup

Firstly forget the years when the comp was rigged/crooked etc , and those when we were a basket case.

Our last 10 years or so have been stable , with tremendous on field success. To me the best indicator is our younger fans expect us to do well. They are genuinely dissappointed we are not in finals. Its us oldies who lived through the dark years who still have some elements of fear we could revert back to that bad place.

I think the key is to keep the cycle strong ... so that some of the core from 2009/2010 , is around in 5 years to support the new generation final tilt in 2015/2016.

Having the experienced guys to bridge the gap is critical ( see Richmond for example as to why they have been hopeless for so long).
By my quick analysis;

5 players - 1997 GF > 2004 PF - Harvey, Thompson, Jones, Max, Peckett.

8 players - 2004 PF > 2010 GF - Blake, Baker, Lenny, Milne, Kosi, Roo, Dal, BJ

So we need to keep a core of the 2010 GF together to bridge that gap..... there are still 15 left from that team that went so close;

Sam Gilbert
Jason Blake
Sam Fisher
Nick Dal Santo
Farren Ray
Justin Koschitzke
Leigh Montagna
Adam Schneider
Nick Riewoldt
Stephen Milne
Ben McEvoy
Lenny Hayes
Clinton Jones
Sean Dempster
James Gwilt

Interesting to see who we hang on to, can keep themselves fit and motivated etc. for another 2 - 3 years.

What's the Point of it All?
SinCitySainter
Club Player

We have just come through the equalisation years and are now heading back to a time for the rich to get stronger and the poor to get to weaker.
Free agency will ensure that clubs like us, doggies, melbourne and the roos all stay at the bottom of the pack.
While the Essendons and Collingwoods run their eyes over our best talent and say wait a couple of years we will have him.
The future looks very bleak for my beloved sainters.
I was born in 67 so have seen the worst and have had very little joy in that time but have seen the advantage that money can give your club.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we should hold a poll

oh wait a min....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:We have just come through the equalisation years and are now heading back to a time for the rich to get stronger and the poor to get to weaker.
Free agency will ensure that clubs like us, doggies, melbourne and the roos all stay at the bottom of the pack.
While the Essendons and Collingwoods run their eyes over our best talent and say wait a couple of years we will have him.
The future looks very bleak for my beloved sainters.
I was born in 67 so have seen the worst and have had very little joy in that time but have seen the advantage that money can give your club.
That is a pretty bleak outlook SinCity.

If we are smart about it we can get around free agency. Not everyone will leave for money. It needs leadership a la GT to bring a young group together and to dare to dream.

Whether the incumbent can do it remains to be seen, but he deserves this season and next to prove that he can.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sad to say, but I doubt it. I was only 4 when we won in 1966. My earliest football memory is watching Geelong and Richmond in 1969, so I don't have even a distant memory to hang on to. The way the competition is heading, it looks more and more as though the so-called "power clubs" will dominate, while we will make up the numbers in terms of the TV rights. Tears me up to admit it, but like others on here, I lost all hope after the siren sounded in GF2 in 2010.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:I really thought 09 was the one.
With the expanded comp etc,just can't see it happening for me.
1 Flag in. 140 years ,maybe my kids will...I'm 53

I really thought 09 was our year too. We looked unbeatable throughout that year...
Odds are against us at the minute with the way the AFL is set up....
Earliest we could win one now is 2018 and absolutely everything would have to fall for us in the next 5 years.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am 72. What hope have I got? Still, I was there in 66.
Good on you BB, what was it like and were you there?

Nee!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I am 72. What hope have I got? Still, I was there in 66.
Good on you BB, what was it like and were you there?
I was there, but only just. My dad had a seat but I could only get a standing room ticket which would have meant I saw nothing (I was still 14). But with bench seats, the guy next to dad was OK with me squeezing in. At the time, the most memorable thing about the match was the noise in the last quarter. It was the loudest I can ever remember - and continual. And three quarters of the crowd were barracking for us! We were on the outer side and after Bob Murray's famous mark, he kicked it to Alan Morrow who was not that far from us. He held the ball in the air and I can remember thinking, why is doing that, he should kick it. Of course, the siren had gone, but no-one around me had heard it. We soon realised. My dad embraced people all around us. I had never seen him embrace anybody - not even my mother.

The aftermath was quite bizarre. We went to my uncle's place in East St Kilda and watched the replay (no live TV then). I lost count of the number of elderly people who said that they could now die happy. My parents bought me a record of the 3KZ call (with the big H) of the game for my birthday (no videotapes or DVDs then). I reckon it was played about a million times. The Footy Record (the first time it was in the large format) was thumbed through many a time with every statistic committed to memory. The advertisements in those days were for British Paints, Shell, Ross Faulkner's footballs, AWA, 3DB, Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation, Ansett ANA, St Moritz ice skating, Leyland trucks, Remy Martin Brandy and Rothmans ciggies. And of course, the Pink - the Sporting Globe - was put away - to be revisited on days when the result was not quite so good. What was to be the first of many, remains the first.

There have been a few games over the years that have gone some way to matching the feeling. I can remember a game in 1997 in Sydney when we came back from about 6 goals down to win in the last. Then there was the 2004 clash with Brisbane and Troy's goal. And the 2009 game against Geelong at the dome. We could not have played better that day, nor could have Geelong and we won with Michael's mark and goal.

Last edited by perfectionist on Thu 02 May 2013 6:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Best indicator of future performance, is past performance...
I hope you don't invest your money on that basis, because it's bulls***.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I was 1 year old in 66, so have little recall of that era up until about 73 when we were strong. I like manny recall the real dark days of the late 70"s and 80's Then came 97 and even though we lost that year I expected we would bounce back the next year, but we all know what happened.

Hope was raised again with the rise in the early 2000 and I really thought we would finally do if in 2009/10, but in true Saints fashion we managed to lose. So now I actually believe I will not see a flag, I wish it was different but I don't see it happening in my lifetime

I love this club
BakesFan
SS Life Member

...born 10 days after the Saints win in '66...... Still keeping the Faith that Saints will score one in my lifetime.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)