What's an acceptable loss vs Sydney?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What's an acceptable loss vs Sydney?

Ok let's face it we are extremely unlikely to win.

Plugger thinks it will be as much as 10 goals. I think more like 8 goals.

An acceptable loss is one where we compete for at least half the game and the effort is similar to the Tigers game.

I hope we can handle the breeze and don't shank too many passes.

Should be low scoring scrap.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What's an acceptable loss vs Sydney?

As long as we put in and show some ticker. We should have been beaten by 10 goals by the dopers, but weren't. And we played horribly. Hopefully a better performance coming up. Sydney just stopped last weekend. You never know......

spert
Saintsational Legend

I just want to see our leaders put in a big effort, and inspire the young guys

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not too fussed by the amount we lose by.

Just want to see a four-quarter effort. Should we put in that much, we might be a chance to keep the margin under 30 points.

I think it's important to keep some self-respect as a football club, which is why we should try to limit those devastating losses we incurred in the 2000-2003 period.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A 20 point win.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Pretty depressing when it's round five and we are discussing loss margins, but that is where we are at, I guess.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Pretty depressing when it's round five and we are discussing loss margins, but that is where we are at.

It's going to be a long season with not a lot of light at the end of the tunnel, but, hey, I survived the 80s.

Greg T
Club Player

Swans didnt play that well,last week, but I'd like to think we're only 4 goals off the pace.
It's a whole new ball game,just nothing embarrassing please .....Kosi to kick 5

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
felix
Club Player

For the conspiracy theorists out there , the afl will want stkilda to do well in Wellington so it will be a close game saints by bag of hand knitted woollen beanies or in other words a goal . Wellington will love it and be hooked on footy .

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

felix wrote:For the conspiracy theorists out there , the afl will want stkilda to do well in Wellington so it will be a close game saints by bag of hand knitted woollen beanies or in other words a goal . Wellington will love it and be hooked on footy .
Yes. If it was a conspiracy like many believe we will get every dodgy free going and the Swans frees ignored. Let's see!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It seems to me this early on in the season that more and more supporters are seeing the same thing, players that just aren't putting in hard enough, not giving 100% for the whole game, not doing the little team things, 1 %ers and the like. I've read in the past few days of one posters observation that maybe our older players have got their nose out of joint because SW has officially anounced the rebuild and that his public announcement might somehow be the reason they look like they have given up. Given up! Can you believe that. I'm not saying they have actually given up but it would appear from our general observation that they aren't trying as hard as we have become accustomed to. Well I don't care how much we lose by against the swans but we have always given the swans a run for their money but if I see the same limp performance as the one that was dished up last week then I will will spit blood. The club has been given a huge opportunity to create our own ANZAC spirit and if our players don't rise to the occassion and fly home like a limp carrot then our club will have lost more than just a football match. Those core senior players that are still fortunate enough to pull on our jumper have an obligation to maintain the culture that has been built over the past decade. They have an obligation to show the youngs guys how to be hard at the footy, how to give everything they've got for the whole time they are on the field. Let the players know that we understand the rebuild is on but also let them know that there is no excuse for not having a dead-set crack everytime they pull the jumper on, no matter whether it's your first game or your last. They should be our rules. Rant over. Goodnight.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The effort is there.

Skills are our problem. We cant hit a freakin target often enough to be considered dangerous.
For example, against Richmond we absolutely destroyed them in the center clearances. Should have absolutely hammered them. But we just squander the pill.

No loss is acceptable. You don't play to lose. You lot don't front up the hard earned for a membership to watch honorable losses.

Screw that. My heart reckons Saints by 17.

Sydney could win by six goals though :P

**edit** That said, I think we have been building towards this game. We must fly the flag.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I am going to pretend I didn't read the title of the thread!

Refuse to read the posts.

There is no acceptable loss this week. A win is what is acceptable. SW will not be satisfied with any other result, nor will the players.... Nor will I

I'll go a step further
I expect to win... In a close one

snowdelisaint
Club Player

The last time you talked of an "ACCEPTABLE LOSS" we won. STÜFF YOU

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

a 1 point win will do me, although I don't know how the old ticker will stand up !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

5 goals.

swans lost 2 in row?good side wont lose 3.

always happy to be wrong....although I would like a top 5 pick...

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:5 goals.

swans lost 2 in row?good side wont lose 3.

always happy to be wrong....although I would like a top 5 pick...

Only one. We have to beat them to make it 2. I dont think we can win but come 5.30 on Thursday i will think we can win.

twirlyhair
Club Player

snowdelisaint wrote:The last time you talked of an "ACCEPTABLE LOSS" we won. STÜFF YOU
Here here! Not the first time that the loser talks only about losing.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I am going to pretend I didn't read the title of the thread!

Refuse to read the posts.

There is no acceptable loss this week. A win is what is acceptable. SW will not be satisfied with any other result, nor will the players.... Nor will I

I'll go a step further
I expect to win... In a close one
I agree totally, except for the close bit.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
resaintlee
Club Player

We were outmuscled before being outplayed last week. I expect that this week should be a more even contest and if we play really well we have a good chance of winning.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

snowdelisaint wrote:The last time you talked of an "ACCEPTABLE LOSS" we won. STÜFF YOU
THIS!!!

Enough of these rubbish threads, we may well be beaten, but pre-empting an acceptable losing margin is absolutely pathetic.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we've conceded a lot of goals this year to midfielders going forward, and Sydney are very good at that so unless we have some plan to stop them, we'll lose.

There's no "acceptable" loss but if we get within 6 goals at the end I'll be pretty happy. Though that said last week was only six goals in the end but it felt like a horrible performance.

Look, I just want to see hard work and a few of the kids showing something. That would be a good start. We won't win but at least there would be hope for the future.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Bombers are no joke. Right up there with the very best. The Swans haven't quite hit their straps. I expect this game to be a lot closer however still expecting a loss by around 4 goals. Is that acceptable? Well given where we sit the footy community would say yes. As a fan no it's not. I wanna win and regain some sort of hope....For another week at least.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The Bombers are no joke. Right up there with the very best. The Swans haven't quite hit their straps. I expect this game to be a lot closer however still expecting a loss by around 4 goals. Is that acceptable? Well given where we sit the footy community would say yes. As a fan no it's not. I wanna win and regain some sort of hope....For another week at least.

The bombers for the second year in a row are deserving of the Premiership favourites- Pies and Hawks next in line and the injuries will hurt them. The Geelong and Sydney who have been gifted soft draws and are good solid teams. Sydney aren't going at full pace and have a very old team too. Goodes and Bolton are doing their bit but aren't outstanding any more.

if the injuries don't come the Bombers could win the Premiership- I almost hope they do- egg on Demetriou's face. The integrity of the comp is a shambles anyway.

paddy
Club Player

i'm happy if we can win 2 qtrs, and some stats, (tackles and cont pos for mine)