Umpiring like a Grand Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring like a Grand Final

Here this term used all the time and there is defanatley a change in umpires interprataions from the season to a final. Which to most is fine. The only problem is now umpires now umpire power clubs in big games differantly . Just watching the differance in umpiring fronm the StKilda v Richmond game to Collingwood v Hawthorn and its clear they change interpratations for each team. The amount of leaway defenders where given compared to StKilda defenders is miles apart. Frees where basically only awarded if the defenders infringment was well above the threshold of acceptance. Compare that to last weeks Richmond game and there is no doubt the big clubs get a easier ride.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpiring like a Grand Final

Watched the Bulldogs Tigers game yesterday and the Bulldogs got the better run. never thought they were a bigger club. Watched the pies and Hawks yesterday as well and it was really well umpired.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Watched the Bulldogs Tigers game yesterday and the Bulldogs got the better run. never thought they were a bigger club. Watched the pies and Hawks yesterday as well and it was really well umpired.
It was really well umpired unlike the Richmond v StKilda game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Watched the Bulldogs Tigers game yesterday and the Bulldogs got the better run. never thought they were a bigger club. Watched the pies and Hawks yesterday as well and it was really well umpired.
It was really well umpired unlike the Richmond v StKilda game.

Yes that was poorly umpired. The Tigers Dogs game yesterday wasnt great umpiring. maybe it is because the big games get the best umpires. Im sure the AFL would love 27 great umpires but it just doesnt happen. I want 30 great saints footballers but that isnt happening either.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I think it is more the umpires dont want critisism in big games from high profile club presidents and coaches.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:I think it is more the umpires dont want critisism in big games from high profile club presidents and coaches.

What so they try more? Doesnt make sense at all. You talk as if umpires can do what they like. You do realise they have a coach and are dropped if they make a lot of wrong decisions.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:I think it is more the umpires dont want critisism in big games from high profile club presidents and coaches.

What so they try more? Doesnt make sense at all. You talk as if umpires can do what they like. You do realise they have a coach and are dropped if they make a lot of wrong decisions.

Its not as if they dont try they umpire differantly to avoid any public fallout. Could you imagine if in the Collingwood v Richmond game this week Collingwood conceded 9 forward 50 frees to 1. Edd was going off tap about one free today for over an hour and wanted the whole rule book re wriitten. Hardly a glowing endorsement for a umpire wanting a Grand Final birth.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its not as if they dont try they umpire differantly to avoid any public fallout. Could you imagine if in the Collingwood v Richmond game this week Collingwood conceded 9 forward 50 frees to 1. Edd was going off tap about one free today for over an hour and wanted the whole rule book re wriitten. Hardly a glowing endorsement for a umpire wanting a Grand Final birth.

Unless they were the same umpires then they may just be better umpires.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Could you imagine if in the Collingwood v Richmond game this week Collingwood conceded 9 forward 50 frees to 1.
There will be a riot ~ with toothless feral bogans invading the pitch and lighting fires in the stands. No umpire would risk offending Collingwood like that.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
CURLY wrote:Could you imagine if in the Collingwood v Richmond game this week Collingwood conceded 9 forward 50 frees to 1.
There will be a riot with toothless feral bogans invading the pitch and lighting fires in the stands. No umpire would risk offending Collingwood like that.
You could be assured Ed would dedicate more than an hour on his morning show.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't complain if I was a Hawks supporter after yesterday's umpiring effort, but I don't like the Hawks or Pies anyway so it doesn't matter. Other than that, the sliding rule is ridiculous and should be scrapped

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I wouldn't complain if I was a Hawks supporter after yesterday's umpiring effort, but I don't like the Hawks or Pies anyway so it doesn't matter. Other than that, the sliding rule is ridiculous and should be scrapped

Dont you think there are a lot less ball ups and packs now and also players mostly trying to stay on their feet the get the ball. I reckon the sliding rule has a lot to do with all of that.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

When?
The coach has to actually acknowledge the mistakes first!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

When?

You want a serious discussion and then come up wiith rubbish like that. Im sure a few will agree but its totally illogical.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Im confused curly
when were at the top of the ladder our games were umpired differently and decisions were more lenient and you had no complaints
& now we are down the bottom we are being officiated more harshly
-or-
what you really want is a president that shouts loud & hard in support of his club?

Seeya
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Im confused curly
when were at the top of the ladder our games were umpired differently and decisions were more lenient and you had no complaints
-or-
what you really want is a president that shouts loud & hard in support of his club?

Im suggesting the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Collingwood make the most noise get the best treatment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
-or-

Im suggesting the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Collingwood make the most noise get the best treatment.

But there are no stats to say they get the best treatment. It is in your head.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt averages far less frees against Collingwood than any other team.

Saints94
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
-or-

But yet Collingwood winning the free kick count is enough proof for me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

But yet Collingwood winning the free kick count is enough proof for me.

They lost it by 9 yesterday or doesnt that count because it was well umpired but when the pies get more it isnt well umpired. My guess is the sides you want to win usually the raw deal.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:What so they try more? Doesnt make sense at all. You talk as if umpires can do what they like. You do realise they have a coach and are dropped if they make a lot of wrong decisions.
When?

You want a serious discussion and then come up wiith rubbish like that. Im sure a few will agree but its totally illogical.
Insert the word "publically" between actually and acknowledge then.
Players performances are open to public scrutiny and criticism and praise. Media, administrators, coaches and opposition players can call out good/bad acts performed by players.
But yet we are not able to have a sensible, frank and honest appraisal of the umpires.
The minute we are able to start doing that is when they become a credible entity.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote: When?

Players performances are open to public scrutiny and criticism and praise. Media, administrators, coaches and opposition players can call out good/bad acts performed by players.
But yet we are not able to have a sensible, frank and honest appraisal of the umpires.
The minute we are able to start doing that is when they become a credible entity.

We do on every news paper, on every web site and any other type of media. we scrutinise decisions to an inch of their life. Look at Harry O'Brien yesterday. They also have something on the AFL website explaining correct and incorrect decisions. Im pretty sure we cant go through 350 decisions a week to say if they are right or wrong. Or should we only do our decisions?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We do on every news paper, on every web site and any other type of media. we scrutinise decisions to an inch of their life. Look at Harry O'Brien yesterday. They also have something on the AFL website explaining correct and incorrect decisions. Im pretty sure we cant go through 350 decisions a week to say if they are right or wrong. Or should we only do our decisions?
The analysis is never directed to a string of decisions or performances by one umpire in particular. It is on a very controversial free kick paid (rarely on one missed).
In our game against the Tigers, there should have been a fairly detailed analysis performed of those decisions.
I'd like to see stats come out from the umpiring department showing a breakdown for each umpire showing free kicks paid to each team, free kicks missed for each team...then broken down by each player.
I'm sure the players (e.g. Milne) would like to know why he gives away a lot of frees but rarely gets them paid the other way. To show that this is not just a St Kilda thing you can throw Jake King into the that mix.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Life Long Saint wrote: You want a serious discussion and then come up wiith rubbish like that. Im sure a few will agree but its totally illogical.
The minute we are able to start doing that is when they become a credible entity.[/quote]
Im glad you brought up the players,
that is and always will be my argument
The day when players make NO mistakes is the day I will expect the same from umpires.
Until then I get annoyed with three forward 50mt shanks out of bounds on the full by our most experienced players in the first 1/4 GWS game
and move on

Seeya
Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: You do realise they have a coach and are dropped if they make a lot of wrong decisions.
So I imagine the umpires that officiated the Saints v Tigers game were dropped then??