Terry

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

felix
Club Player

Terry

He seems to be getting more confidence in his game tried hard and liked the open spance s of the MCG as opposed to the smaller congested grounds . I thought he really lifted at one stage .

NDS .... Looked good in close at times but doesn't seem to be able to run ( only watching on tv) is that the case ?

What did people think of Hayes's game .. Had a few possessions but not sure if they were mostly effective or not ...( i missed some of the game)

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Terry

felix wrote:He seems to be getting more confidence in his game tried hard and liked the open spance s of the MCG as opposed to the smaller congested grounds . I thought he really lifted at one stage .

NDS .... Looked good in close at times but doesn't seem to be able to run ( only watching on tv) is that the case ?

What did people think of Hayes's game .. Had a few possessions but not sure if they were mostly effective or not ...( i missed some of the game)
Like Terry a lot, want to see more of him runing out of the MID.

NDS imo needs to lift more, not playing as well as he did in 2012

Lenny, I don't expect anything of the great man now.. new rules changes have damged his playing style IMo and the guy just had heart surgury. I can't judge him

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah the Virus is an enigma. When he runs he looks like he glides or he looks like one of those characters in a computer game if that makes sense. He soughta looks like he is moving at two paces for every one step. He has certainly got an afterburner and when he gets in the clear and goes for a run it looks awesome but my heart sits in my mouth waiting for the disposal. If he gets that part of his game right he is going to be slipperier than an eel in a bucket of snot.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Terry will gwt better each game, NDS has lost a bit of leg speed and can't break tackles like he used to..Lenny has done his bit for the club

busso mick
Club Player

Sometimes he tries to finesse it a bit too much, instead of doing the first option. However he is a creative player which provides an X factor for our side.

Only round 2 so he is building, pretty soon he will give someone a Terry Towelling.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Terry will be very good when his self belief gets as strong as his skills. I saw Dal and joey with Jack Steven today in St Kilda and Joey and Dal looked really stiff and sore. Jack was walking about with a strut and a big grin. Youth helps the muscles pull up.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

I like Jack Steven, he has showed some class and fare in years gone by... think last night he had a couple cray moments but overall I think he's going to be good.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately he wants back to radelaide...I love the kid tho. Excitement machine

#1 Ryder fan
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Lenny has done his bit for the club? Lenny has had heart surgery? What is this crap?

He steps out on the field, he is fit and is expected to perform like everyone else. Lenny wouldn't want anyone making excuses for him. He played poorly last night by his standards, however in the last 1/4 when the game was on the line he was noticeable to me in that he lifted his game and his workrate.

If he's done his bit for the club and can't give anymore, then he should retire. He's no different to anyone else. He will come back and play well I have absolutely no doubt. Just like Roo did this week (and there was a thread last week on how relevant Roo would be to our team moving fwd) I will not accept that just because he's been a former champion of our club he can float around and we'll all accept mediocrity from him. Harves never did that and I couldn't see Lenny doing that either. I reckon he'd retire mid season than do that.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:I like Jack Steven, he has showed some class and fare in years gone by... think last night he had a couple cray moments but overall I think he's going to be good.

Once he settles down he will be amazing- looks like he runs about like a bee in a bottle. I love how he jumps back on his feet when he goes down and keeps burrowing in. More than his running style reminds me of dane Swan hope he can bring home a brownlow before he's finished.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Yeah the Virus is an enigma. When he runs he looks like he glides or he looks like one of those characters in a computer game if that makes sense. He soughta looks like he is moving at two paces for every one step. He has certainly got an afterburner and when he gets in the clear and goes for a run it looks awesome but my heart sits in my mouth waiting for the disposal. If he gets that part of his game right he is going to be slipperier than an eel in a bucket of snot.
I was enjoying reading this post Cairnsman...................................... until I got to your last sentence...................... Yuk! Too graphic :wink:

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:Lenny has done his bit for the club? Lenny has had heart surgery? What is this crap?

He steps out on the field, he is fit and is expected to perform like everyone else. Lenny wouldn't want anyone making excuses for him. He played poorly last night by his standards, however in the last 1/4 when the game was on the line he was noticeable to me in that he lifted his game and his workrate.

If he's done his bit for the club and can't give anymore, then he should retire. He's no different to anyone else. He will come back and play well I have absolutely no doubt. Just like Roo did this week (and there was a thread last week on how relevant Roo would be to our team moving fwd) I will not accept that just because he's been a former champion of our club he can float around and we'll all accept mediocrity from him. Harves never did that and I couldn't see Lenny doing that either. I reckon he'd retire mid season than do that.
way harsh. i would love to see you have heart surgury and then be playing an elite sport.... ok lets drop him as he played poor who replaces him then?

guy has done so much for the club he's very differnt imo...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Harves Man
Club Player

busso mick wrote:Sometimes he tries to finesse it a bit too much, instead of doing the first option. However he is a creative player which provides an X factor for our side.

Only round 2 so he is building, pretty soon he will give someone a Terry Towelling.
Magnificent work, Busso Mick! Agree with your comment too. :D

Moods
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
Moods wrote:Lenny has done his bit for the club? Lenny has had heart surgery? What is this crap?

way harsh. i would love to see you have heart surgury and then be playing an elite sport.... ok lets drop him as he played poor who replaces him then?

Gee where in my post did I say he should be dropped? By making excuses for him re his heart surgery I reckon YOU are disrespecting the man. He doesn't get to play for the saints based on what he has done in the past, or what surgery he had over summer - he gets to play based on what he will give us week to week. He has definite credits in the bank and has been a model citizen at the saints, but so what? I want him picked because I believe he will come good and give us some of the 'Old Lenny' back, not because he's a good bloke who used to be a champion. He can be a good bloke in the stands.

And you're right I couldn't have heart surgery and play elite sport. I could never play elite sport like Lenny regardless of whether I was pumped up on peptides, let alone had heart surgery 6 months ago. So what? What kind of question is that? It's irrelevant.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:

Gee where in my post did I say he should be dropped? By making excuses for him re his heart surgery I reckon YOU are disrespecting the man. He doesn't get to play for the saints based on what he has done in the past, or what surgery he had over summer - he gets to play based on what he will give us week to week. He has definite credits in the bank and has been a model citizen at the saints, but so what? I want him picked because I believe he will come good and give us some of the 'Old Lenny' back, not because he's a good bloke who used to be a champion. He can be a good bloke in the stands.

And you're right I couldn't have heart surgery and play elite sport. I could never play elite sport like Lenny regardless of whether I was pumped up on peptides, let alone had heart surgery 6 months ago. So what? What kind of question is that? It's irrelevant.
It's not like we're shooting for a premiership or top 4 this year, watters has said we're in a rebuild. This could be his last year, so cut the make him prove his in the best side rubbish and let the champ play out the year. That’s the respect I am talking about!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:Unfortunately he wants back to radelaide...I love the kid tho. Excitement machine
Yep I also reckon he wants to go home at the end of the year - very strong family ties. We need to target a vic boy who wants to leave crows or power and look for a swap.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Unfortunately he wants back to radelaide...I love the kid tho. Excitement machine
Yep I also reckon he wants to go home at the end of the year - very strong family ties. We need to target a vic boy who wants to leave crows or power and look for a swap.
Dangerfield and Talia are from Victoria - no chance of them though. Sloane's the one that stands out.

I'm still not convinced about Terry. Made a few shocking errors on Friday night, just butchering it. Admittedly if you try things sometimes it doesn't come off, so it's just about the ratio - he's got to get things right more than he gets them wrong.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the club should concentrate on keeping Terry at the club. Would not look good if we lost our last indigenous player without making an effort to keep him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wingard will do me:)

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Maybe the club should concentrate on keeping Terry at the club. Would not look good if we lost our last indigenous player without making an effort to keep him.
Why?

Do we have to make an extra effort because he is Indigenous?

Bizarre

I could go on a tangent about how difficult Indigenous can be and how they often don't work out however that would bizarrely be perceived as racist by some

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
If that is true, maybe we should have tried harder to get Jacobs or Chaplin last year while Terry was still contracted… Or we could sit on our arses and then wait for the Cripps situation to repeat itself.

Interstate players wanting to go home seems to be getting more prevalent every year, genuine risk taking any at the moment. Not so much of a risk for teams in other states picking up victorian boys, as there are 10 clubs to barter with - like Caddy… but when a bloke wants to go home to a state with only 2 clubs, then only nominates one… well, you've got nothing form your first round pick.

At least Terry basically came for free, but we would still want a second round level player or pick I imagine.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Maybe the club should concentrate on keeping Terry at the club. Would not look good if we lost our last indigenous player without making an effort to keep him.
Why?

Bizarre

I could go on a tangent about how difficult Indigenous can be and how they often don't work out however that would bizarrely be perceived as racist by some
Only you know if you are a racist redeemer but your comment is narrow minded.

White guys can be pretty difficult as well. Cripps was home sick and wanted to go home.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
Why?

Bizarre

Only you know if you are a racist redeemer but your comment is narrow minded.

White guys can be pretty difficult as well. Cripps was home sick and wanted to go home.
Why the hell is that narrow minded? Many indigenous players have different issues. If it's racist why do we have an Aboriginal Liaison Officer in the league? Why would we need one?

I agree completely with The Redeemer. The extra effort we make to keep Terry will be because we see him as a valuable player who we can't afford to lose. NOT because he's indigenous and we're trying to appease someone or something.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Why the hell is that narrow minded? Many indigenous players have different issues. If it's racist why do we have an Aboriginal Liaison Officer in the league? Why would we need one?

I agree completely with The Redeemer. The extra effort we make to keep Terry will be because we see him as a valuable player who we can't afford to lose. NOT because he's indigenous and we're trying to appease someone or something.
I didn't say it was racist but maybe Terry just wants to go home just like Cripps did. But of course, he wants to go home because he is indigenous and not because he is just home sick. That's why I said it was narrow minded.

and Moods, there are welfare officers for white guys. :wink:
Last edited by SaintPav on Sun 07 Apr 2013 12:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
70s sainter
Club Player

When watters was talking about players with not enough skill I was wondering whether he meant milera who kept turning it over. I can't remember him turning it over as much last year though so hopefully it's only temp. Compare that to when Schneider came on and you can see their polish are worlds apart.