Next Week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Next Week

Last night was a winnable game, which is disappointing, but not devastating, we need to all accept that our decade of being a very good team is over.
Plus, again thanks to some poor recruiting, there is a massive gap between our senior players and the next tier. Not in ability, but experience, we have virtually no 100 gamers in the side which is where the transition from previous champions to next champions happens.
However, enough about that, strangely, I would only make one change for next week and that is Simpkin, if fit, for Blake.
Yes I know Sipposs had a shocker last night, however, he hasn't played 20 games yet and what he needs is experience, plus confidence, and running around against guys who are as experienced as he is would be just what he needs to build up some confidence.
The only other possible change would be Maister for Lee or Kosi, well I don't know the Sandy schedule, but I'd assume there may be a game this week for them to play in.
Milney would have to show something next week if he wants to play against Essendon, so would a few others.
Speaking of last night, actually thought Sam Gilbert's third quarter was great, and he showed that he can kick with that long bomb of a goal. He is certainly playing a lot better than he was 2 years ago when he had millstone around his neck.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Next Week

Simpson for Blake is a fair call. I would expect Wright or Murdoch to get a game based on what the coach said on sen. On that basis, maybe Siposs will have to have a spell at the lower level

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Why did I write Simpson? Simpson, of course

matrix
Saintsational Legend

simpkin will come in for dempster

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Damn iPad spellchecker!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Why did I write Simpson? Simpson, of course

You did it again. Its simpson.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Blake was beaten last night, and yet he still did some good work, with the exception of one very silly mistake. Sipposs's greatest strength his disposal, seemed to have deserted him last night.
Actually what we need is some more creative midfielders, and despite CJ's good game last night, we need someone who can tag, get the ball and deliver it as well.
Cameron Ling was very very good at that.
Personally, I'd still like to see Stanley up on a wing, where he can drift both down back and up forward.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

soooo
Homer is in next week

sit him in the pocket with the other fatso :D

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Only 1 change????

These changes should be made:

Out: Blake, Maister, Gilbert and Newnes

In: Kosi, Lee, Ray and Simpkin

With Schneider moving into the 21 and Milera Sub. They may also want to consider occasionally running Saad through the midfield.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:Only 1 change????

With Schneider moving into the 21 and Milera Sub. They may also want to consider occasionally running Saad through the midfield.

How did Lee, Simpkin and Kosi go tomorrow and did Ray get through the week at training? And a great time to drop Gilbert. Just when he has his best game in a year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:

Are you 100% nuts? Gilbert was the reason we kept getting back into the game and almost won.

Wing is his ideal position.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 06 Apr 2013 1:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Not Gilbert he's fine when runing off the HB/wing.. like him there thought he played very well. Plus out of all the mids last night Gilbert dropped a perfect pass to Roo in the 50.....

Fortius Quo Fidelius
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Gilbert and Newnes should definitely stay in. Gilbert was one of our best last night; Newnes is a KID (everyone get that in your head) and needs to be persisted with.

Simpkin I would think would definitely come in for Dempster.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sydney kept playing Jetta despite the fact that he couldn't get a goal to save himself and eventually it paid off. Collingwood did it with Beams and Sidebottom. You just have to keep having faith in the kids and biting the bullet. It might not be this year but Newnes will be better for all his game time

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Sydney kept playing Jetta despite the fact that he couldn't get a goal to save himself and eventually it paid off. Collingwood did it with Beams and Sidebottom. You just have to keep having faith in the kids and biting the bullet. It might not be this year but Newnes will be better for all his game time

i wish that he would learn that it's ok to play on when there is nobody within 15 meters of him ffs,,,,,this stop and prop nonsence has whiskers on it.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is great as long as he doesn't kick or handball

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, that was an awful kick from Gilbert from 50m+ that went between the big sticks early third quarter.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Why did I write Simpson? Simpson, of course
Does this Simpson dude play back or forward ?

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

As much as I want the young guys to get opportunities it's no use playing them all at once and getting trounced every week. We still want to be competitive and maintain a winning culture, unlike the Demons. I reckon Watters has had the mix near perfect since he arrived - playing about 6 or so 21 and under year olds most weeks. I think Sippos and possibly Newnes need a rest after playing a lot of games in the pre season and the opening two rounds of the home and away season. Wright and Ross to come in next week for those two...And Simpkin for Dempster.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

spert wrote:Gilbert is great as long as he doesn't kick or handball
Gilberts pass to roo was a shocker as well.... made it real hard for roo to clunk it

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:As much as I want the young guys to get opportunities it's no use playing them all at once and getting trounced every week. We still want to be competitive and maintain a winning culture, unlike the Demons. I reckon Watters has had the mix near perfect since he arrived - playing about 6 or so 21 and under year olds most weeks. I think Sippos and possibly Newnes need a rest after playing a lot of games in the pre season and the opening two rounds of the home and away season. Wright and Ross to come in next week for those two...And Simpkin for Dempster.
If we draft them, whether they are top a 20 pick or pick in the 50's, the coaches and leadership group need to mentor the kids and encourage them to do everything possible to be professional footballers so that the Saints can maintain a winning culture...

It's not enough to just recruit talent or give young players game time... they must be embraced by the current on field leadership. I think SW and pelchen have put in some wonderful infrastructure for this to occur and we need to maintain a strong development and teaching culture, create an inclusive culture, and create future on field leaders for the club.

older saint
SS Life Member

Obviously Dempster out - need to wait on Sandy performance before anything else. Lots of push for Kosi for Maister but if Kosi doesnt dominate a VFL game what will he really do in an AFL game. Seriously love Kosi but when did he last play a game where he got a top 5 vote in? Maister competes when ball on the ground and leads up the ground better , Makes bad mistakes and not really that talented but someone must take his spot not be given it because he is a veteran. Hopefully he dominates and does come in .

I would see perhpas Wright in for Dempster with Stanley in the back half - looked quite good there considering how small we are.

I ould expect Siposs and Newness to stay in and further develop in their roles.

Interetsing Gilbert great at getting the ball but turns it over at crucial time. POssessions and effort played well. The goal from 50 was a Kernahan helicpoter special - but will take it.

lets see what happens tomorrow

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Old Mate wrote:As much as I want the young guys to get opportunities it's no use playing them all at once and getting trounced every week. We still want to be competitive and maintain a winning culture, unlike the Demons. I reckon Watters has had the mix near perfect since he arrived - playing about 6 or so 21 and under year olds most weeks. I think Sippos and possibly Newnes need a rest after playing a lot of games in the pre season and the opening two rounds of the home and away season. Wright and Ross to come in next week for those two...And Simpkin for Dempster.
If we draft them, whether they are top a 20 pick or pick in the 50's, the coaches and leadership group need to mentor the kids and encourage them to do everything possible to be professional footballers so that the Saints can maintain a winning culture...

It's not enough to just recruit talent or give young players game time... they must be embraced by the current on field leadership. I think SW and pelchen have put in some wonderful infrastructure for this to occur and we need to maintain a strong development and teaching culture, create an inclusive culture, and create future on field leaders for the club.
Hey guys… we have just lost to Gold Coast & Richmond, this is with nearly all of our available veterans playing, only Kosi missing.

We won 1 match against a top eight side last year…

We don't have a winning culture at the moment, we have to fast track a huge group of players development.

We can't put it off any longer in attempt to win a couple more games

If Simpkin is fit, he has to played ahead of Blake,
Lee has to play ahead of Kosi too
Let's have a look at Curren & Ledger in the ones this year so we can make a call on them

saintbob
SS Life Member

Out :
Milne
Blake

Ins:
Simpkin
Wright

oh when the
Club Player