A follow up to Home Truths (well, sort of...)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

A follow up to Home Truths (well, sort of...)

Given how the fighting and bitterness on here is threatening to spiral out of control, I thought I'd post this reply on the main forum, rather than on the GF from which it comes.

Don't worry, if you just scroll to the bottom, you can avoid all the boring bits than many may not be interested in, and get to the punchline. :wink:

Oh, and any fellow Saintsationalists alluded to in the post, it's not to imply any blame specificly on you guys. So if my wording is clumsy, and unintentional offense is given, then my sincere apologies. (Except to Pluggs... I apologize to you for having not mentioned you. Actually, skip that, I've edited..., and you're in. :wink:)

-- wrote:I understand you are a believer Dave. None of my business what you have faith in. I have no right to push my views on to you. And I am sure you would show me the same courtesy.
(I see a segue... :D )

I try to --. I don't think you'll find a single evangelical posting from me. I try to post on the GF (where it's relevant) from two basic perspectives...

Social justice, or at least as I interpret social justice. :wink:

But also, when I feel that someone is being a bit harsh on the whole concept of holding religious beliefs, I try to post an alternative perspective... not to evangelise, but to try and show that holding a religious faith, whether ultimately that faith turns out to be justified or not, is not actually totally illogical.

As I've posted before, I don't care about one's beliefs on religion or politics. (I certainly don't see atheism as an enemy.) I care how those beliefs actually play out re social justice actions.

Hence, I would consider that our social justice beliefs are pretty damn similar most of the time, and I agree with where you are coming from nearly all the time in that sphere. (Though again, maybe that should concern you -- :wink: )

That said --, despite provocations (real or perceived), I'm constantly wishing that you wouldn't undermine your strong arguments by 'using vinegar rather than honey' to catch flies. Oh, you aren't alone either... Mr -------------... I love most of your work, but again, honey is better than vinegar.

And believe me, as a long time hothead who has taken way-yay too long to see the light on that, and is still taking way-yay too long to put that realization into consistent practice..., my observation above may well have an element of the hypocrite to it, but sadly and embarrassingly, I'm also well 'qualified' to make said observation. :idea: :oops:

Now if I haven't already lost you and totally pissed you off... I'll try a bit harder... :wink:

And for the above reasons I personally have nothing against some of the, uhmmm, more 'controversial' posters on here who also draw a bit of fire from time to time. And yes, one in particular regularly 'surprises' me for better and worse with some of his '-------ing' observations. :wink:

So with the above in mind,
I really wish that we could all just draw a line in the sand on this forum,
wipe the slate clean of all the feudings and bitterness,
start respectfully debating the idea... not the poster,
(though I hope ------ keeps calling --------- a nuffty, coz I find that funny. :D )

and get back to having a forum where we remember that we are all actually not Skunk's supporters... :idea:

Come on everyone, we can do it.

Go (our) Saintas!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: A follow up to Home Truths (well, sort of...)

as usual dave. too long winded a post...i stopped reading after a couple of lines....... and for the record...not a post for the footy forum.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by stinger on Fri 29 Mar 2013 12:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

I have a dream ... :|

That my children will one day frolic with all God's little Saintsational children on the hills of a priemership. That they will live in a world free of Milney prejudice, Kosi slander and destructive forumite abuse. :roll:

I have a Dream ...

I think the faith you're talking about Dave was about a guy who encouraged people to be childlike (in dealing with relationships) not childish ( in relation to self promotion).

While this is not a place to discuss faith, I would humbly suggest that your comments are not out of place in the context of a site where self and self's opinions are elevated to god-like status.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but there has to be nicer ways to agree to disagree about a team and personalities we hold to passionately.

Thanks Dave. I think the timing is impeccable - no footy as we mark the day someone died to self. Perhaps we could all take a deep breath and die to self metaphotically a little.

More power to you Dave! :wink:

GO SAINTERS! :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i'm back to the footy...last time i looked the tigers were 42 points in front, but whilst i was mucking around with the pc the scumbaggers got to within 21 points...luckly now that i'm watching again the tigers are 6 goals in front......great.... :wink:

malthouse should notch up his first loss....
Last edited by stinger on Fri 29 Mar 2013 12:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

its 'numpty' Dave, not 'nuffty'.

although....nuffty kind of has a ring to it.

ill give it a crack and see what pluggsy thinks 8-)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Onya Dave you are a good stick mate

felix
Club Player

[quote="Dave McNamara"]Given how the fighting and bitterness on here is threatening to spiral out of control, I thought I'd post this reply on the main forum, rather than on the GF from which it comes.

Don't worry, if you just scroll to the bottom, you can avoid all the boring bits than many may not be interested in, and get to the punchline. :wink:

Oh, and any fellow Saintsationalists alluded to in the post, it's not to imply any blame specificly on you guys. So if my wording is clumsy, and unintentional offense is given, then my sincere apologies. (Except to Pluggs... I apologize to you for having not mentioned you. Actually, skip that, I've edited..., and you're in. :wink:)

[quote="--"]I understand you are a believer Dave. None of my business what you have faith in. I have no right to push my views on to you. And I am sure you would show me the
(I see a segue... :D )

I try to --. I don't think you'll find a single evangelical posting from me. I try to post on the GF (where it's relevant) from two basic perspectives...

Social justice, or at least as I interpret social justice. :wink:

But also, when I feel that someone is being a bit harsh on the whole concept of holding religious beliefs, I try to post an alternative perspective... not to evangelise, but to try and show that holding a religious faith, whether ultimately that faith turns out to be justified or not, is not actually totally illogical.

As I've posted before, I don't care about one's beliefs on religion or politics. (I certainly don't see atheism as an enemy.) I care how those beliefs actually play out re social justice actions.

Hence, I would consider that our social justice beliefs are pretty damn similar most of the time, and I agree with where you are coming from nearly all the time in that sphere. (Though again, maybe that should concern you -- :wink: )

That said --, despite provocations (real or perceived), I'm constantly wishing that you wouldn't undermine your strong arguments by 'using vinegar rather than honey' to catch flies. Oh, you aren't alone either... Mr -------------... I love most of your work, but again, honey is better than vinegar.

And believe me, as a long time hothead who has taken way-yay too long to see the light on that, and is still taking way-yay too long to put that realization into consistent practice..., my observation above may well have an element of the hypocrite to it, but sadly and embarrassingly, I'm also well 'qualified' to make said observation. :idea: :oops:

Now if I haven't already lost you and totally pissed you off... I'll try a bit harder... :wink:

And for the above reasons I personally have nothing against some of the, uhmmm, more 'controversial' posters on here who also draw a bit of fire from time to time. And yes, one in particular regularly 'surprises' me for better and worse with some of his '-------ing' observations. :wink:

So with the above in mind,
I really wish that we could all just draw a line in the sand on this forum,
wipe the slate clean of all the feudings and bitterness,
start respectfully debating the idea... not the poster,
(though I hope ------ keeps calling --------- a nuffty, coz I find that funny. :D )

and get back to having a forum where we remember that we are all actually not Skunk's supporters... :idea:

Come on everyone, we can do it.

Go (our) Saintas!

Image[/quote

Did you just write that you were a hypocrite ? And who are you writing about ? .And what did you say ?.. It's true that those people who have unwavering beliefs are more likely to have great meltdowns when those beliefs start to be questionable . what is your definition of social justice ? How is faith logical ? Faith is the most illogical realm , not scientific , not measurable , nothing but hope really . Wrong forum really .

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:its 'numpty' dave, not nufty
So now we have nuff nuffs, nuffies, numpties and nufties. :lol: We are all-inclusive at Saintsational.

Can someone explain the difference in these four varieties of nuf?

BTW nice post Dave. Agree with the sentiment. I'm not religious, but I do believe in tolerence ... to a point. Some mistake kindness for weakness, though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

phew...the tiges had me worried there for a moment.... :wink: :D

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the least religious man on the planet
would be the Dalai Lama 'n he agrees.

... and i quote... "Compassion and tolerance is not a weakness but a strength."

but then the DL deals in practically applied commonsense ,
which obviously is in short supply around these here parts.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
loris
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
So now we have nuff nuffs, nuffies, numpties and nufties. :lol: We are all-inclusive at Saintsational.

BTW nice post Dave. Agree with the sentiment. I'm not religious, but I do believe in tolerence ... to a point. Some mistake kindness for weakness, though.
But don't accidently hit the 'm' key which is beside the 'n' key as you are typing your response or you will be talking about muffties................ then someone will come on this site and call you a bigot. racist or whatever :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

a muffty

i wonder if thats someone who is too stupid to.....never mind :!:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

matrix wrote:a muffty

i wonder if thats someone who is too stupid to.....never mind :!:
A Mufti is an Islamic scholar, mufti is a slang term for casual clothes/civvies... I'd never heard of the latter term till I looked it up to check on the former...

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:as usual dave. too long winded a post...i stopped reading after a couple of lines.......

... which is certainly worse than being too short with your 'to'... the latter is an easy mistake to make, which I see you have since corrected. :wink:

The former..., well to acknowledge and account for that, I did open with the 'advice', for those with busy lives and/or short attention spans, :wink: that it was possible to cut to the chase by simply scrolling to the bottom.
stinger wrote:and for the record...not a post for the footy forum.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
On this point, if I simply swap the word 'fun' for the word 'seriousness'..., then I can do no better than to defer to one more learned than I... :)
stinger wrote:ohhh...please.....it was footy related....posted in fun ..and had a valid point...... :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79740&start=75#p1310269

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well i'll be
nice bit of research

mufti

so when we're bagging out on the coach this evening/arvo waiting for the saints game with some nibbleys
i guess i'll be wearing my muftis which consists of trackie pants uggies and a jumpy

what a bogan i am

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

YOU said that! :wink: Good one mat!! :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

But don't accidently hit the 'm' key which is beside the 'n' key as you are typing your response or you will be talking about muffties................ then someone will come on this site and call you a bigot. racist or whatever :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
I believe the term "Nuffie" as someone who is mentally challenged, or mentally I'll, originates from the acronym "Needs Urgent Psychiatric Help", or NUPHIe, as used by police, ambulance and medical staff. Probably apocryphal, but it's the best explanation I've heard. Perhaps a nuffty is a cross between a Nuphie and a numpty. A mufti, is an Islamic cleric and is most definitely a mixture of a nuphie and a numpty.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

slider
Club Player

Humpty friggen Numpty, wtf is this post all about? doesnt matter, i dont really want to know.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:Humpty friggen Numpty, wtf is this post all about? doesnt matter, i dont really want to know.
Hi Slides, people can no doubt approach this post from many directions.

However, I would really hope that they all arrive at the same destination/conclusion.

This is post is a reminder that we are all fellow Saintsationalists, and a request for people to respectfully debate ideas, not abuse fellow posters. So yeah, a call for mutual respect.

(Hopefully that's not too controversial. :wink: )

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Hawkesbury Saint, bigcarl, Old Mate and others,
I thank you for your kind words,
and I admire your ability to see beyond whatever parts of this thread may not gel with your own personal beliefs,
so as to focus on,

'the point of it all.'

Thank you.
My appreciation, and more power to you guys. :D

Go Saintas!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Onya Dave you are a good stick mate
that he is...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:A mufti, is an Islamic cleric and is most definitely a mixture of a nuphie and a numpty.

you're game ww...if i posted that, the powers of darkness would descend upon me, calling me a bigot and a racist whilst requesting the mods to behead me..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :D

loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:A mufti, is an Islamic cleric and is most definitely a mixture of a nuphie and a numpty.

you're game ww...if i posted that, the powers of darkness would descend upon me, calling me a bigot and a racist whilst requesting the mods to behead me..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :D
Strange you should think that way stinger................. went thru my mind also........... me thought....."now if stinger said that, imagine the flame war that would follow and destroy Davey Mac's well intentioned intent"!!!!!!!!!!!! How's that for alliteration?

Well done WW, you picked up my handball exceptionally well :wink:

Maybe the Saints could do with us in the midfield, me in there getting the hard ball out to you, as you flash by to finish off with impeccable style.
Of course, some may interpt 'impeccable' as faultless................ then again some of us nuphie and numpties know there is another interpretation of the word 'impeccable' = 'not liable to sin' :wink: :wink: :wink:

Good thread Davey Mac............... opens up all possibilities :P

loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Onya Dave you are a good stick mate
that he is...
+ 1