Good read on Trevor Barker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good read on Trevor Barker

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 6590324908

ST KILDA has nominated Trevor Barker for induction into the AFL Hall of Fame.

The surprise is not that Barker has been nominated, but that it comes 24 years after he played his last game for the club.

No one really knows why his name had not been presented to the AFL for consideration before last Friday, though Chinese whispers have it one senior member of the Saints' Hall of Fame selection committee did not rate him as highly as others within the club.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good read on Trevor Barker

Again this says a lot about of our club.

It's a disgrace and embarrassment he wasn't nominated years ago. End of story.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
slider
Club Player

I am another one who didnt rate him as high as some, he gave up alot for the club i will give him that, but i never got caught in the hype.

I wont shyt can the bloke because hes gone now, but i still cringe when people over rate him. He played in a crap team which i believe made him look alot better than what he was, there are/were alot of others who feel the same way.

I was at nearly every game at Moorabbin during his career, including a match where he decided he was getting towelled enough, so he pulled an injury without even being in a contest so he could go off, i found out later off another player that there was no injury to be found.

I will remember him for what he did for the club off field (taking hits in his pay packet etc), and for that he deserves to be recognized by the club, but Hall Of Fame? not in my thinking, but to each his own.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:I am another one who didnt rate him as high as some, he gave up alot for the club i will give him that, but i never got caught in the hype.

I wont shyt can the bloke because hes gone now, but i still cringe when people over rate him. He played in a crap team which i believe made him look alot better than what he was, there are/were alot of others who feel the same way.

I was at nearly every game at Moorabbin during his career, including a match where he decided he was getting towelled enough, so he pulled an injury without even being in a contest so he could go off, i found out later off another player that there was no injury to be found.

I will remember him for what he did for the club off field (taking hits in his pay packet etc), and for that he deserves to be recognized by the club, but Hall Of Fame? not in my thinking, but to each his own.

This is a joke right? I dont get it but I take it this was meant to be funny. :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
slider
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
slider wrote:I am another one who didnt rate him as high as some, he gave up alot for the club i will give him that, but i never got caught in the hype.

This is a joke right? I dont get it but I take it this was meant to be funny. :shock:
No joke just my opinion, whats your opinion? beside writing nothing on the subject.

I knew the real Trevor Barker, i knew alot of players back then, if you dont like what i have to say then please ignore me as i will you from this point on. :D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Most who don't rate him wouldn't have seen him at his peak, about 1981. His last years in football weren't his best, but at the height of his powers he was a wonderful player. Spectacular, courageous and tough. Played in some godawful teams, too, which was more of a hindrance than a help

slider
Club Player

I saw him at his peak.

I saw him do some amazing stuff, some of the marks you had to hold your breath, i also saw him do things where people behind the goals were telling him to get off. He got to see enough of the ball because the opposition were always sending it in, he had no choice but to get in an under or over. Hes was the same height and weight as me at the time, i always thought he was way undersized for a full back, on that strength alone i give him points for endeavor, but it doesnt change my opinion.

I rated tough as Greg Burns, ploughing through the mud at Moorabbin in the center,
also playing in crap teams, forever with his knees taped but going at 200% all the time.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I know its only an opinion, but has to be said what a load of bollocks!!! The guys was an out and out champion, brilliant mark for his size, sublime skills, best tackler I have seen, courageous to a fault. Should have been in the hall of fame years and years ago

Also you say the you dont want to shyte can him but in the very next paragraph you reckon he faked an injury because he was getting beaten. That is one of the greatest insults you could throw at an elite sportsman.
its a disgraceful comment to make
Last edited by BringBackMadDog on Tue 05 Mar 2013 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I think playing 230 games with the one club and not playing in a single finals match is both a crying shame and an incredibly admirable feat. It's also a league record.

His skills and high marking really were sublime. Not to mention, he was much loved and respected by all (except for Wacko Jacko) and a favourite son of the club.

Surely, all of this warrants HOF status.

It still saddens me that he left us at such a young age.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Played well when played state footy. Enough said and a champion bloke off the field too.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

has a beautiful grave to

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Played well when played state footy. Enough said and a champion bloke off the field too.
Yes !

and don't forget his outstanding logie nominated work on " celebrity tattletales !"

In red white and black from 73
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

This should guarantee his Hall of Fame admission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvIxzQ-yy8

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

I wont shyt can the bloke because hes gone now, but i still cringe when people over rate him.
but Hall Of Fame? not in my thinking, but to each his own.

if that's not sh!t caning, i don't know what is.... :roll:

best consistent high mark i have seen.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

As a little kid he was all I had when my Grandfather gave me the shittest club of it's era. Barks at least let us walk with our chin up when all the other little smart arses had fun at our expense. He was a marquee player when we looked like we thought marquee was just a night club. I honestly can't remember much but the spekkys but have a huge soft spot for him.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:As a little kid he was all I had when my Grandfather gave me the shittest club of it's era. Barks at least let us walk with our chin up when all the other little smart arses had fun at our expense. He was a marquee player when we looked like we thought marquee was just a night club. I honestly can't remember much but the spekkys but have a huge soft spot for him.

:wink: ...that's a bit of a sad tale....i could aim the same bard at my dear dad who introduced me to the saints in the fifties......they were worse then if that's possible......love 'em dearly though...

would i trade my memories of les foote, keith drinan. neil roberts, georgie young, stewart, big carl, the doc, trevor, burrnsie, muir, joffa....(the real one)..,....plugger , cuz, stewie, lenny and roo for a couple of premierships.....????

......geez....that's a real hard one..... :wink: :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:As a little kid he was all I had when my Grandfather gave me the shittest club of it's era. Barks at least let us walk with our chin up when all the other little smart arses had fun at our expense. He was a marquee player when we looked like we thought marquee was just a night club. I honestly can't remember much but the spekkys but have a huge soft spot for him.

:wink: ...that's a bit of a sad tale....i could aim the same bard at my dear dad who introduced me to the saints in the fifties......they were worse then if that's possible......love 'em dearly though...

would i trade my memories of les foote, keith drinan. neil roberts, georgie young, stewart, big carl, the doc, trevor, burrnsie, muir, joffa....(the real one)..,....plugger , cuz, stewie, lenny and roo for a couple of premierships.....????

I hope you arent serious but I actually think you are. Surely everyone wants a flag. leave the hero worshipping to individual sports. Having said that I will contradict myself as I only have had 2 hero's, Plugger and Greg Norman but if i could get a flag I could seriously forget about Plugger in a heartbeat.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

I hope you arent serious but I actually think you are. Surely everyone wants a flag. leave the hero worshipping to individual sports. Having said that I will contradict myself as I only have had 2 hero's, Plugger and Greg Norman but if i could get a flag I could seriously forget about Plugger in a heartbeat.

I get what he's saying, the Saints form part of your DNA after a while- it's hard to know if I'd give up the memories of close but not close enough and the plethora of characters that have made up so much of my memories.

I think they are character building and make engaging with the club more rewarding even though outsiders consider our club unsuccessful. If premierships are all it's about you can go follow Essendon when ever you want. But if we had to swap them for us I'd keep what we have now. I have really strong memories of all the things that make us a club, I don't think I would swap it all for premierships.

The experiences of Moorabin and Waverley are etched on me and the whole experiences are really good ones. The day at Waverley I couldn't get any other Saints mates to go with me and sat to the end getting smashed by Melbourne in pouring rain because the roofed areas were all taken made 1997 so sweet even though we fell short.

The ride home from the G after that GF loss with Adelaide supporters burned but will make the wine sweeter when it comes.

slider
Club Player

stinger wrote:

I wont shyt can the bloke because hes gone now, but i still cringe when people over rate him.

Is that all you've got to say? Capper shyt all over him for the high mark.

No way i shyt canned the guy, you know nothing, just another post numbers grabber without any real input.

Believe me if i wanted to shyt can Barker? you've got no idea what i could spill on here.

Ask the Cunningham bros what a great bloke he was, and i knew Joffa very very well, but this had more to do with Joffs brother. Need i go on anymore to a nobody like yourself? no didnt think so :D

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If what you are suggesting re Cunningham (d) is spouse related I wouldn't have thought Trev was Robinson Crusoe!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The soundtrack is a bit sickening ... but for anyone too young to have seen him play, this was Barker.

rexy
SS Life Member

I for one remember a lot of good but not without flaws as a player. Not sure what the relevance of if he's a good bloke or shagged someone's wife is to HOF honours? I would say based on ability, courage, flair and leadership he is a worthy HOF inductee, but then I wore a number 1 on my saints warm up top and asked to play on a HBF every week even though I was one of the tallest kids in my team!

In my top 5 saints from 1980 onwards!

Maybe this year?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Jesus Christ Slider, so you didn't rate him as a bloke? Big deal. No-one's discussing that and it's poor form bringing it up. Plenty who knew him DID rate him as a bloke. His record in terms of selflessness for the club and courage he displayed whilst dying says plenty. Does that make you a poor judge of character? From what I hear/know Winmar has done his fair share of s*** things and so has PLugger. Who cares? Do they deserve to be nominated for HOF? Of course they do. Winmar deserves to be recognised for what he id for aboriginals playing footy. It couldn't have been done without his unbelievable ability. Plugger was, well, plugger and an icon of his time.

You say others haven't contributed much to this thread. What have you contributed apart from sly innuendo innocently disguised as 'input.' Suggesting that he faked an injury 'because a player told you so' is laughable and you deserve to be s*** canned for it. The quality of his 230 games speak for themselves. That liitle story you conveyed doesn't ring true at all. Yeah he took some spectacular marks, but there was far more to Barker the footballer than that. He was courageous and bloody tough. He was also incredibly strong and a great tackler. Plugger said so himself - PUBLICLY, or do you think plugger said that just to 'buy into the hysteria' about him? (cos plugger was like that) He was the best player of a poor era at the saints, who lead the club. Guys like Byrnes and Joffa were great war horses and tried their guts out, but they had stuff all ability and turned the ball over more than hit the mark.

A more than worthy nominee imo

stinger
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:
stinger wrote:

Is that all you've got to say? Capper shyt all over him for the high mark.

No way i shyt canned the guy, you know nothing, just another post numbers grabber without any real input.

Believe me if i wanted to shyt can Barker? you've got no idea what i could spill on here.

Ask the Cunningham bros what a great bloke he was, and i knew Joffa very very well, but this had more to do with Joffs brother. Need i go on anymore to a nobody like yourself? no didnt think so :D

just as i thought...a troll...not a saints supporter after all......don't feed this moron guys.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:If what you are suggesting re Cunningham (d) is spouse related I wouldn't have thought Trev was Robinson Crusoe!

the guy's a f-wit......i think he has barker and cuz mixed up...know all know nothing clown.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: