Shenton and Lever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Shenton and Lever

Pulled the trigger too early on these lads....

Watched Shents just simply do nothing as a third forward for about four games in the seniors at sandy and basically resigned him to the scrap heap. Mid season. Later in the season I watched him on the ABC vs Port playing HB and he actually played pretty well?! I considered the fact he may just have had a good day??

On the showing in the Prac Game.... He showed he can definitely play and has found a niche down back ATM.

Lever

I took one look at him at training and shook my head, he looked and moved like a 1 day old giraffe. Watched him in the Sandy twos... He kicked a goal after using his height to take an ok catch, but that was about it?! Jackson Coleman booted 5 and dominated the same game! Wrote him off...

He also played a game down back in the Sandy seniors later on, also against Port I think and did OK..... I started to have second thoughts....

He did two thing in the Prac games to suggest he has something.... Although well beaten by experienced opponents, he twice competed strongly and spoiled certain grabs... And once ended up with the ball, stayed composed and used it very well

Both are still plenty off (Lever perhaps three years) and may never play a game, but are not the mistakes I thought last season

Good luck to both

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shenton and Lever

They will be relieved.

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:They will be relieved.
I'm sure you can help there plug

Beekay
SS Life Member

you're one jive turkey.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And you wonder why?!

Fair dinkum, this is the sort of stuff that you do.... No doubt why you've been ....

BTW I am also sure many of the players and indeed Ross himself are relieved when you jump to their defence at every opportunity.... Must be comforting to them... You are after all, a leading saintsationalist!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I wonder why what? havent even got the courage to finish sentences. Anyway i hope Lever and Shenton can play. I suppose those 3 or 4 games you saw them should decide how good a player is.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Courage

Coming from you, what a laugh....

A dirty little sniper......

Anyways, enough... Off to dinner and my life...

Carry on with yours

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So is it a date at dinner with me? i really like you BM.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
you're one jive turkey.
pain in the ass more like it.....

He doesn't like it when he's not the centre of attention

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

one day plugs you may actually post something relevant

or interesting

or humerous

or insightful

it will probably be in response to something Marto posted... as that's what 3/4 of your tally are in response too... though he actually posts about football

what a day that will be

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's a pity Josh Kitchen is no longer at the Saints otherwise I could have started a thread entitled "Lever & Kitchen" 8-)

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Brilliant :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

one day plugs you may actually post something relevant

or interesting

or humerous

or insightful

it will probably be in response to something Marto posted... as that's what 3/4 of your tally are in response too... though he actually posts about football

what a day that will be

No I will never post anything relevent in your eyes. Funny that a few say i do but those that dislike me say i dont. And it is those who dont like being challenged on opinions. And even more funny is people would actually think I care. Even on another post you say look at me. Surely this post is exactly the same. My post was a joke and some think its funny. They are a sense of humour. Everyone is surely born with one. Even you. Anyway I will continue my posting style and you can continue yours. Bye for now.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

First time I saw Lever was vs Casey on the idiot box. Awful day, wet, windy. He took alternating opponents with more mature bodies, including Stephan Martin. Kid held his own well,including a prolonged 2 on 1 contest involving repeat efforts. He kept his balance, stayed on his feet and prevented the 2 from winning the ball.
After that game I said to associates I thought the kid had a future. Because of his size he'll take a while, but there ain't many that don't these days. It is good to have some decent KPP prospects in development. Word from the fringes is they're pretty happy with how he's developing.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think that may have been the game I watched otherthomo.... I suspect he may have a bit about him...

Good recruiting if so?!

P66
Dear oh dear...,

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Loved dinner with you last night BM. Now lets stop the charades and lets come out and tell the rest we are an item. It looks like you are the taker with comments like dear oh dear.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some people are just unfunny

Humour just doesn't sit well with you, does it?!

So many witty posters like Bungiton have taken me to the cleaners!!
I miss them dearly when putting up with your rubbish and feeble attempts at humour....

Compared to them, you come off like a total knob. Just doesn't work does it?

Maybe it's you timing, maybe it the woeful delivery, or just maybe its the fact you are so detestable?!

You are first class dick head, stick to your strengths
Being an antagonistic prick....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Some people are just unfunny

I miss them dearly when putting up with your rubbish and feeble attempts at humour....

Maybe it's you timing, maybe it the woeful delivery, or just maybe its the fact you are so detestable?!

I love you BM. You seem such a funny man. A great sense humour. When you get to know me better you will realise what a funny person I am. Just ask my mates and even their kids. You will soon meet them and see the love they have for my humour. I am prepared to wait for you. And i really want people like you to think I am funny. Its important that people who have no sense of humour or take life way to seriously have an outlet. I think i am yours.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Some people are just unfunny

I love you BM. You seem such a funny man. A great sense humour. When you get to know me better you will realise what a funny person I am. Just ask my mates and even their kids. You will soon meet them and see the love they have for my humour. I am prepared to wait for you. And i really want people like you to think I am funny. Its important that people who have no sense of humour or take life way to seriously have an outlet. I think i am yours.
Ok this is weird, but this is funny, not comedy gold but it did cause an involuntarily small chuckle. Does that mean I just got an outlet?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think that may have been the game I watched otherthomo.... I suspect he may have a bit about him...

Good recruiting if so?!

P66
Dear oh dear...,
I think we may have got a bit of a cheapie in his draft, BM. Early in his final TAC year he was thought of as a mid-late 1st rounder, I believe. He was playing KP until the Falcons (I think that's where he came from) copped some injuries to their ruck stocks and decided to move him from CHB/CHF, where he'd been playing, to cover their rucking losses.

He wasn't much chop at the rucking caper, and didn't enjoy it. After that there seemed to a bit of recruiter groupthink happen and he fell a long way down the pecking order from his earlier rating as a KPP. He went about 60 in the draft from memory

Like I said, I think we may have got a cheapie. And, it seems we're trying to develop him as a KPP, not ruckman (the ranks of which we bolstered via trade and draft in '12).

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yep, backing up what TOT is saying:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6202952558

AFL DRAFT HOPEFUL JAY LEAVER. HERALD SUN

JAY Lever can understand the scepticism. For a chunk of the season, he doubted himself too.

The Geelong Falcons big man started the TAC Cup season sensationally, firming as an early draft pick.

He's a lightning fast, 200cm utility, and an elite kick on both feet, former coach Aaron Greaves said.

"He was the Falcons' best player with the ball in his hands," Greaves said.

"He makes fantastic decisions and has amazing agility for someone that size.

"He played key forward, key back, and played some of his best footy on the wing."

But, while many players put their stamp on things at the national championships, enhancing their draft stocks, Lever, 18, admitted he went backwards there, making him a wildcard.

Lever was thrust into the ruck at the carnival and, struggling with his light frame, his confidence sank.

For a while, he wrestled with the disappointment.

"The national championships sort of put a massive mark on my year," he said.

"I wasn't happy with it at all. I just couldn't get into games, couldn't get enough footy.

"When I first got told I was being put in the ruck I thought, 'This could be interesting'. "

Despite the slump at the carnival, some recruiters regard Lever as a diamond in the rough in the late part of tomorrow night's draft.

"With the talent he's got, he could be anything," one talent spotter said. "We just didn't see enough of it (at the championships)."

Lever desperately wants to prove himself and play AFL.

His preferred position is centre half-back, where his silky skills can help cut open an opposition.

He said he loved "being able to beat my opponent in the air or on the ground and then work the ball out, hitting up players coming out of the forward line or the midfield".

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Shenton looks like he should be ready to roll. He is a nice size and could take the Gram role if need be, that would allow Newnes runs in the MF and could get an elevation for Markworth. He seems to have taken off down in the backline. The NAB should let us all know what he's capable of. Lever just needs to bulk up still and he could be anything.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"I've just closed my eyes again,
Climbed aboard the Jay Lever train"

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

god help us if we are trying to get excited about Shenton

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Austinnn
Club Player

Hope that those two players end up being of some worth to Saints. Hope is all I have to go on, having never seen them.

Yet another thread dominated by bitter posters spending their life trying to upset Plugger66. The funny thing is that it won't work, so is not just a pointless exercise, but it also reveals their weakness. Mayber they will say they're not trying to upset him, just venting spleen about how (negative adjective) he is. Either way, if I was P66, I'd be having a good old laugh. He makes one little quip and instead of just being ignored, 3 different posters are all over him trying to beat him down. He doesn't even have to do anything nowadays, its too easy. Personally, I think the guy is funny, usually right and not unreasonable, certainly not the pessimist he is painted as, I've seen plenty of pro-club, pro-player stuff from him to know he just tries to keep it real, but that's just my opinion. And I am yet another clown who wasted 5 good minutes telling you all my opinion of Plugger. Funny!

Take this thread. Old Big Note starts by proclaiming that 2 players who he said were no good may actually be alright after all after watching them play some practice games.. Fair enough. Plugger infers that his opinion won't matter to them, again fair enough. 2 posters try their hand at a retort, BM responds, drawing further attention to Plugger instead of focusing on his OWN thread, and simultaneously claiming Plugger wants to be the centre of attention (tactically inept, so you can dismiss any tactical posts about football from said poster also), Plugger just carries on, adds a positive note about the players and infers that maybe those handfulls of practice matches is again still inadequate to judge a player. BM responds again, tries to play it off the cuff, but not convincingly, more posters try to lay their boots in, the same old names bearing grudges...

It's like clockwork. Beautifully timed comedy. Shame not many others can see it.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone