A Graders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

A Graders

How many genuine A grade players are on the Saints list this year?

Riewoldt?
Dal?
Hayes?
Fisher?
Joey?
Dempster?

Time for the next generation to come thru and join the elite list

Team first mantra could be just what the saints need after the last decade of superstar players with the rest of the list falling away.

Really looking forward to an emerging list of players creating a strong team environment with a list that can run deep not relying on few players.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: A Graders

All of the above other than Joey are A Grade. I would also say Milne is A Grade.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Gershwin
Club Player

However it is often an elite player that wins you the game when it is in the balance. They can just do something 'special' when it is needed. Goodes demands the ball when it is close because he knows he can win the game.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Middo
Club Player

Riewoldt? - Probably past his best now...
Dal? - On his day yes but A grade is Cotchin,Abbs,Swan..?
Hayes? - Probably the closest on his day , but age shall not weary ..
Fisher? - Depending on his role , needs to be the player of 2009.
Joey? - Again on his day very good and consistent...
Dempster? - Based on the role he plays and position maybe our only A grader..

The real standout with our A graders as such is the age...
Other clubs A graders have age on there side...

Hopefully a Newnes , Siposs or Ross make the step up this year on the way to being A graders ....

PS Milne has done a great impression of an A grader over a number of years ... :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lenny, Dal, Fisher and Rooy are our only A graders now. Joey just short as is Milne and Dempster. Even Rooy may not now be an A grader. Our problem is we may only have 3 or 4 B graders with Steven and Armo hopefully very close.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lenny, Dal, Fisher and Rooy are our only A graders now. Joey just short as is Milne and Dempster. Even Rooy may not now be an A grader. Our problem is we may only have 3 or 4 B graders with Steven and Armo hopefully very close.

Dempster and Milne for their positions are A Grade Id argue.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Agree that Milne is A grade. Harsh marking saying he's just off that. What do you want from the guy? He's 3 goals shy of Daicos, 12 of Johnson and then the only small guys above him on the all time goalkickers list are Bartlett and Matthews. He was AA last year for the second time and he's actually got better with age. One of the best small forwards ever to play the game. OK I'm perhaps a leeeetle bit biased as he is my favourite player. But........he'd walk into any side in the comp.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Agree that Milne is A grade. Harsh marking saying he's just off that. What do you want from the guy? He's 3 goals shy of Daicos, 12 of Johnson and then the only small guys above him on the all time goalkickers list are Bartlett and Matthews. He was AA last year for the second time and he's actually got better with age. One of the best small forwards ever to play the game. OK I'm perhaps a leeeetle bit biased as he is my favourite player. But........he'd walk into any side in the comp.

Im one of Milnes biggests fans but I reckon it is very hard to be an A grader player in the forward pocket just as i reckon it is hard for dempster to be an A grader in the back pocket. His record is superb but he did only finish 12 in our B&F last year.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:Agree that Milne is A grade. Harsh marking saying he's just off that. What do you want from the guy? He's 3 goals shy of Daicos, 12 of Johnson and then the only small guys above him on the all time goalkickers list are Bartlett and Matthews. He was AA last year for the second time and he's actually got better with age. One of the best small forwards ever to play the game. OK I'm perhaps a leeeetle bit biased as he is my favourite player. But........he'd walk into any side in the comp.

Im one of Milnes biggests fans but I reckon it is very hard to be an A grader player in the forward pocket just as i reckon it is hard for dempster to be an A grader in the back pocket. His record is superb but he did only finish 12 in our B&F last year.
Being the best in your position would make you A Grade Id say.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Being the best in your position would make you A Grade Id say.

Well thats your opinion but not mine. If we have so many A graders we must have some really pathetic players in our team if we could only win 12 games for the year and win only one against a top 8 side. Doesnt say much for the future as everyone mentioned will just about be gone in 3 years.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Milne clearly A grade.........ridiculous to argue otherwise. How many small forwartds regularly kick 50 a season. Classic case of being underrated by his own supporters. If he was at Collingwood or Carlton they'd be saying he was one of the best of all time.

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Milne clearly A grade.........ridiculous to argue otherwise. How many small forwartds regularly kick 50 a season. Classic case of being underrated by his own supporters. If he was at Collingwood or Carlton they'd be saying he was one of the best of all time.

So who are our A graders and for interest sake who are Sydneys in your opinion? By the way his record has nothing to do with being an A grader. If he kicks 30 this year his record will still be one of the best of all time but he wouldnt be an A grader this year. He did however have a very good year last year but in fairness he finished 12th in our B&F.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Milne clearly A grade.........ridiculous to argue otherwise. How many small forwartds regularly kick 50 a season. Classic case of being underrated by his own supporters. If he was at Collingwood or Carlton they'd be saying he was one of the best of all time.

Which other team would swap an "A" grader for even a 27 year old Milne?
Yes, I know his stats but how have other clubs rated him?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goals are one aspect of footy.... He falls short in other areas

A good fwd no doubt..... Not in the top 50 in the afl

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Goals are one aspect of footy.... He falls short in other areas

A good fwd no doubt..... Not in the top 50 in the afl
Yet he was AA last year. More than 50 AA's picked is there :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about 2013

Perhaps Fisher, Hayes, Dempster??

Dal and Joey possibly....

Roo is dependant upon body condition?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Different posters have different criteria for reckoning whether someone is A grade or not.
To me, it's about the role that a player plays. OK, Milney's influence on a game is not like Swan or Gablett or any other mid. Or a gun utility like Goodes. Nor is he threatening and devastating like Buddy or Roo can be.
But he's not a mid or a gun KPP. He's a small forward and as one of them he's totally A grade. Best in the comp.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes he is a great FP no argument,.... His record proves this

But a FP averaging 2 gpg is not as influential as a crack mid or power fwd or back

Some positions are more important than other

Want to look at who is a grade
Look at their pay packets

noob
Club Player

Could be zero by the years end. But I'd classify A graders as been able to slot in any afl team without question. Dal Santo, Fisher are, along with Riewoldt and Hayes.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gee, AA but not A grade?
Easily A grade - best small forward of the generation.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Gee, AA but not A grade?
Easily A grade - best small forward of the generation.
Who would he displace in Collingwood/Geelong 2009-2011 sides?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So who are our A graders and for interest sake who are Sydneys in your opinion? By the way his record has nothing to do with being an A grader. If he kicks 30 this year his record will still be one of the best of all time but he wouldnt be an A grader this year. He did however have a very good year last year but in fairness he finished 12th in our B&F.
I don't think it matters if he finishes last in our BF. He is A grade IMO. He is an elite performer and would be among the competitions elite. Obviously the ratings in B&F voting doesn't suit small forwards who need to be selfish. BJ had a pretty s*** year but polled well.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:However it is often an elite player that wins you the game when it is in the balance. They can just do something 'special' when it is needed. Goodes demands the ball when it is close because he knows he can win the game.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"