What about Watts?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

What about Watts?

I don't know if anyone else heard this one, but rumour has it the tankers were willing to trade Jack Watts to North for a second round draft pick. The deal apparently fell through because the offer was made very late in trade week and in the end the two parties ran out of "arguing" time. What a sad situation for the bumbling Demons. First Scully, then possibly Watts. Two No.1's for very little return.

My question is this. If he was still on the table at the end of this year, would you be interested in him, and what would you be willing to give up? Every time Nic Naitanui adds to his highlights reel, the tankers must want to slash their collective wrists. Personally, I reckon he has a fair bit of natural ability, but has been at the worst possible club in terms of development. Would a better environment bring out the best in him and what role would you see him playing? Could he be the 3rd tall back we need?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
shmic_s
Club Player

Re: What about Watts?

I don't believe it.

But yes, if Watts was on the table I would jump at the chance. Especially for a 2nd round pick.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i am fairly sure had the dee's picked NicNat in that draft then they would be dealing with him wanting to go home by this stage ... Nicnat is a very family centric person and i feel if he was sent to the Dee's he would be wanting back to perth suffering from homesickness ... Jack Watts is a decent player just not the player the Dee's and to an extent the media hoped he would be - im sure he will carve out a very solid career in the AFL but will he be a super star .. prob not

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like scuttlebutt.
I think any club would take Watts for a 2nd round pick quick smart....

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

From everything I've seen, heard and read (to date) Jack Watts comes across as lazy and 'not liking the physical stuff'... bit of a worry for someone who was recruited as a key position forward! :shock:

So, who should we give up for him from our recent round 2 picks...?

Daniel Markworth, Jack Newnes, Jimmy Webster (2011), Nathan Wright, Buddy White, Brodie Murdoch (2012)...?

I do not rate Watts. I would only take him for a pick if I thought he could then be on-sold for a better pick/deal.

I reckon it'd be very interesting to see this thread bumped in September to see if he's even considered to be worth a third round pick... :idea:

As for the palm tree, I reckon the Dreamons should definitely have recruited him instead. I also agree that homesickness or not, he'd certainly be wanting out of that tankard rabble. That said, he'd be worth more to the Dreamons at the trade table than Jack Wattshedoing. Neither E-girls not Purple Puke are currently anywhere near the bottom of the table, so the only way NicNat would get to Perth would be via one of them doing a 'generous' deal.

Oh wait... it's the clueless Dreamon's... they'd probably have traded NicNat for Ben Cousins or Clive Waterhouse... :roll:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

As for the palm tree, I reckon the Dreamons should definitely have recruited him instead. I also agree that homesickness or not, he'd certainly be wanting out of that tankard rabble. That said, he'd be worth more to the Dreamons at the trade table than Jack Wattshedoing. Neither E-girls not Purple Puke are currently anywhere near the bottom of the table, so the only way NicNat would get to Perth would be via one of them doing a 'generous' deal.

Exactly Dave. Even if he wanted to go home, his value at the trade table would be enormous. Most would give up a couple of first rounders to snare him. BTW, I note with interest that the rumour was also picked up by The Autralian's Greg Denham, not that that proves anything. My thourtheth claim the conversation took place but didn't advance due to a lack of time to thrash it out properly. I just find it interesting that the conversation may have taken place at all. If it did, the tankers are in more trouble than anyone can imagine. What do you expect with the three stooges, Lyon, Connolly and Schwab, in charge. Jimmy would be spinning in his grave.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Recruiters in the previous year, when Carlton took Kruezer at no. 1, were generally of the opinion that if NicNat were available that year he would be no. 1. The following year, he was again the obvious no. 1 pick. It is ridiculous that melbourne picked watts at no. 1 and let the eagles get NicNat who was probably the most glaringly obvious no.1 pick of the decade...

I do hope jack Watts has a good career... it is not fair on him to have this pressure on him
If he becomes at least a GOP, or more, he will still be considered unworthy, which is not his fault

suss
Club Player

Can't say they got nothing for Scully when they got two very high draft picks compo. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

The fact that the AFL allowed them to keep the compo and tamper with the draft to get Viney is a disgrace, all the while denying that they tanked to get Scully is mind-boggling.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Jack Watts is a decent player just not the player the Dee's and to an extent the media hoped he would be - im sure he will carve out a very solid career in the AFL but will he be a super star .. prob not
Yep. Given your point about NicNat, I reckon Hurley is the one the Dees should be kicking themselves about. Stagnated a bit last year but I reckon in the next two years he'll become an A-grader.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Jack Watts is a decent player just not the player the Dee's and to an extent the media hoped he would be - im sure he will carve out a very solid career in the AFL but will he be a super star .. prob not
Yep. Given your point about NicNat, I reckon Hurley is the one the Dees should be kicking themselves about. Stagnated a bit last year but I reckon in the next two years he'll become an A-grader.

As he was a Sainter growing up I have always had a soft spot for him. If he gets his body right he could be a superstar Hurley. I wish we could get our hands on him. He's slimmed down and looks magic at the moment. If he can keep out of the doctors office he will stamp himself on the comp this year.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I doubt Watts would have been on the table. If he was, Watts for Ray?? I'm unsure of whether I'd like it but Watts has massive potential still - still just 21 I think which is young for a KPP.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I doubt Watts would have been on the table. If he was, Watts for Ray?? I'm unsure of whether I'd like it but Watts has massive potential still - still just 21 I think which is young for a KPP.

Watts for Ray. What isnt there to like about it? Never happen in a pink fit. Whatever that means.