veterans and nominated rookies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

veterans and nominated rookies

ok.. question...
it seems the veterand rules have changed next year so a fixed amount per nominated veteran will be excluded from the cap (112,000 I think).
from what i unnderstand, we can nominate 2...

BUT if we do not nominate 2, then we can nominate a rookie, making him elegible for selection...

SO:
1. Is this correct?
2. do we know what w ewill do this year?
With room to move in the salary cap (presumably).. is the plan to nominate just 1 veteran, and then nominate Ferguson as a "nominated rookie", meaning he is right to go from round 1?? Maybe we could even nominate no veteran, but instead also nominate Curren?

Or have I got the rules wrong?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: veterans and nominated rookies

I think you nailed it with your last line there! :D

I'm pretty sure that next year we will have about 7 who are eligible to have about $112K of their contracts outside the salary cap (Roo, Kosi, Lenny, Milne, Blake, Dal, Joey, who have all been at the club for the minimum 10 years) and that because we will have 40 on our senior/primary list, we will not be eligible to nominate someone from the rookie list who can play from R1. To be able to do that you would need to have only 38 or 39 on your senior list.

So we will have one or two more on our senior list next year, two less on the rookie list and will not be able to play anyone off the rookie list unless we put someone on the long term injury list, or unless we nominate them after the half way point next year, as we did with Dunell this season.

Speaking of the salary cap, if we have any brains (which I believe we do), I'm sure we would be looking to renegotiate and front-end at least one contract for next year (if we haven't already, hopefully we did with Roo's contract extension), to take up the salary cap space we had set aside for Goddard (and Gram, if we don't happen to have to pay out his contract), for next season, so that we then have even more free from the end of next season onwards, to re-sign all we want to retain and also to go after anyone we want through trading or free agency.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 11 Dec 2012 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SuperDuper
Club Player

ok fair enough... thanks :)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

No problemo, it can be a bit confusing/complicated!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.