The Midfield Issue

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MrCordz
Club Player

The Midfield Issue

Backline aside, I feel the major issue for us going forward will be midfield strength.
With the rest of the competition topping up with elite young midfielders over the past 3-4 years, we have done little in comparison and are in real danger in falling behind in this critical area.
With Goddard gone, Hayes in his last years and Dal and Montagna entering their twilight years I wonder how we are going to be able to get the ball to our surplus of forward talent after the next year or 2.
If you load up with forwards and have an elite midfield you can cover a weaker backline by pure weight of scoring.
Seb Ross, Ledger are stil unknowns - Steven and Armo are still a couple of pegs below elite. Ray and Jones will never be elite but fulfill roles.
THere is a situation developing there that has me a little worried as we build toward our next flag tilt in the next 5 years.

Humbly St. Kilda
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: The Midfield Issue

Ruck has been an issue as well. I'm not sold on mc evoy being a dominate ruck in years to come, and I'm glad we picked up hickey. It would not surprise me if mcevoy becomes second ruck by years end.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Watters is following the collingwood model of recruiting small forwards and wingers who can all have runs on ball. They are less reliant on the set midfield and can all score goals. I expect to see guys like Saad, Milera, Dunell, and any of the newbies like Newnes etc. all expected to have time running with the ball. We are also placing a premium on guys with mobility around the ground too with lee and White both tall forwards with skills and pace not traditional gorilla forwards added to Rhys Stanley.

we also got in Saunders, Wright and murdoch who all seem to be ball winners with a bit of inside outside ability. I think Wright has the attack on the ball that will make him a good footy player especially. There is more of an expectation on players being able to be good ball carriers and so able to get in there and win ball when needed. All in all we seem to be building up pacy multiple positioned players who can all swap roles when needed. It's probably the way all teams are heading but I'm not worried yet and I still think we have some real potential in Siposs, Dunell, Saad, Milera, stanley, Big mac and even Armo and Steven who all have heaps more development in them and could be elite players long term.

the list of midfielders coming through under the is pretty decent with Curren, Ross, Ledger, Markworth, and the new kids all looking like they could be decent players and getting games. TDL and Roberton could even get time on he ball if needed.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

We have quite a few kids who could be elite based on talent. Time will tell.

We also have a couple of teams in particular GWS who have loaded their list up on Victorian midfielders. I wouldn't be shocked if we made big plays for a Dom Tyson or similar players along with one of their developing key talls in a year or two. Like Caddy with Suns, there will be at least one or two up for grabs. I wouldn't worry too much about our future midfield there are kids there, if they dont work out then we'll trade for them, in the future it will be commonplace for players to move clubs and the word loyalty with be rarely seen in AFL circles.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yep - Don't worry about a full back. It's the midfield that is the issue...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

For our midfields to succeed, our rucks need to be competitive.

Scoring from stoppages is so much harder if the opposition ruckman has the ascendency.

Oh, I reckon Gears should move in there this year and see how he goes. Has the endurance, certainly the willingness to win a hard ball...Newnes to play his role?

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

SainterK wrote:For our midfields to succeed, our rucks need to be competitive.

Scoring from stoppages is so much harder if the opposition ruckman has the ascendency.

Oh, I reckon Gears should move in there this year and see how he goes. Has the endurance, certainly the willingness to win a hard ball...Newnes to play his role?
Not a bad idea k,

evo
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:Ruck has been an issue as well. I'm not sold on mc evoy being a dominate ruck in years to come, and I'm glad we picked up hickey. It would not surprise me if mcevoy becomes second ruck by years end.
I think our ruck weakness is just as important as full back. We have not had first use of the ball since King and Gardiner retired. Big Mack has a large tank and is good around the ground but his effectiveness ends there. He has zero vertical leap and rarely palms to advantage. With only three interchange next year and no body contact until the ball is bounced, may make the old style ruckmen obsolete. I think that's the reason we got two new rucks this year and Lee can pinch hit in ruck as well.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Geary has the potential to be a very good midfielder. Elite runner, hard as a cats head and can find the footy. I think ultimately though his lack of footskills will hold him back and he will be forced to continue his career as a negating player.

But I think it's worth giving him half a dozen games on ball to see how he goes. Have a feeling he could be a decent clearance player which could go some way to overriding his skill deficiencies.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:

Geary has the potential to be a very good midfielder. Elite runner, hard as a cats head and can find the footy. I think ultimately though his lack of footskills will hold him back and he will be forced to continue his career as a negating player.

But I think it's worth giving him half a dozen games on ball to see how he goes. Have a feeling he could be a decent clearance player which could go some way to overriding his skill deficiencies.
Yeah that certainly is his weakness...

I was thinking like you said, more inside mid/clearance player shovelling it out of there. The Hayes/Ball/Watson/Bolton types aren't the best users of the ball in the league, but it's their hunger to win a contested possession deep that makes them so good...they are predominately engine rooms responsible for shovelling it out?

Armo/Gears IMO have the capacity to barrage in there with little regard for themselves, a quality needed for that role...

Like you, I'd just like to see how he goes Gill
Last edited by SainterK on Sun 02 Dec 2012 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint6709
Club Player

Like that idea - I also think we might have a better user off half back on the list - Geary could be a great clearance player

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Geary doesnt strike me as a mid. I think he wouldnt have quick enough hands to play in the midfield. I think he is perfect playing on a small forward.

saint6709
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Geary doesnt strike me as a mid. I think he wouldnt have quick enough hands to play in the midfield. I think he is perfect playing on a small forward.

Got to disagree with you there - I recon he has quick hands - if he isn't going to be a mid I'm not sure that is what the issue will be

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mids definitely my concern now.
We need 2 of ross newnes markworth and wright to step it up and make it

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No love for Ledger Con?

You don't think he can step up?

Curren also appears to have the work ethic, hope he can step up and elevate himself soon enough

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good thinking.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the Pelchen Strategy is to improve our pace and footskills wherever possible.

If you want a mid that can win it very well, and do not mind poor footskills...well you already have the proven Jones (who is actually a pretty adept handballer, is quick and very rugged).

We need mids who can set up the play well...mids that can create fast break aways. Lenny is not the most deft kick...but he is a very "smart" kick.

Many players will rotate through the middle....so many will play there.

I expect to see Schneider spend more time there...and for smart ball-users like Newnes to have their careers fast-tracked.

Last season I think that Ledger's indescrimate ball-use was a big factor that prevented him playing more games. If Geary is to play more midfield time to any significant degree, he will need to improve his ball use significantly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think the Pelchen Strategy is to improve our pace and footskills wherever possible.

If you want a mid that can win it very well, and do not mind poor footskills...well you already have the proven Jones (who is actually a pretty adept handballer, is quick and very rugged).

We need mids who can set up the play well...mids that can create fast break aways. Lenny is not the most deft kick...but he is a very "smart" kick.

Many players will rotate through the middle....so many will play there.

I expect to see Schneider spend more time there...and for smart ball-users like Newnes to have their careers fast-tracked.

Last season I think that Ledger's indescrimate ball-use was a big factor that prevented him playing more games. If Geary is to play more midfield time to any significant degree, he will need to improve his ball use significantly.
Ball use by foot.....the hardest skill of all to improve...good luck to those players that struggle by foot

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Geary has the potential to be a very good midfielder. Elite runner, hard as a cats head and can find the footy. I think ultimately though his lack of footskills will hold him back and he will be forced to continue his career as a negating player.
Yeah, but as you say, worth giving him a run. I reckon Newnes is next in line for the back pocket but I expect he'll graduate to the midfield before long. Roberton is a more likely long-term back pocket. Curren might move through there at some point if all goes well for him. It'd be great if Geary could fill a spot in midfield, given those options.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No love for Ledger Con?

Curren also appears to have the work ethic, hope he can step up and elevate himself soon enough
Yeah I like the Ledge and Curren.

I just see maybe 2 of those 4 I mentioned as potential guns. But definitely think the Ledge and Curren can be good support staff.
You need around 6 mids. Hopefully 3 guns and 3 good support staff.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:No love for Ledger Con?

Yeah I like the Ledge and Curren.

I just see maybe 2 of those 4 I mentioned as potential guns. But definitely think the Ledge and Curren can be good support staff.
You need around 6 mids. Hopefully 3 guns and 3 good support staff.

Con you need at least 10 mids. Our problem is we only have about 6. We need to find some more this year or it will be a real struggle.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree re increase number of mids - see flexibility Pies have with the numbers rotating through

IMO we need - 1 to 2 A graders soon and some real quality support depth or we will fall away badly

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't think you need 10 key mids but 10 who can play through the midfield. You need 6 six key mids and probably another 6 who can play there throughout the game as required. You need about 14 guys who have the required aerobic capacity to play chase the ball while the others can stay at home.

A define a key mid as someone who gets 20+ possessions.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we are to be any good this year - Terry Milera simply has to be the stand-out (Sainter K nominated) player to improve and become a midfielder.

Bugger this small fwd business. With Milne, Saad, Schneider and TDL - Tezza should forget the tricky and cramped small fwd caper and really work on his engine and model himself on someone like Sean Burgoyne.

Tezza is 185 cm - not short. He really has the talent to be a gun midfielder IMHO.

I think it is crucial for us as a team. As we all know NDS and Lenny cant do it all and as hard as they try Steven and Armo will never be elite mids. Jones is now an ageing battler. And our youngsters (Newnes, Wright, Ross, Markworth etc) are all still a year or three away from being regular AFL standard.
So Tezza really becomes crucial for our 2013 IMHO.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 10 Dec 2012 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Was'nt it simpler when we had a centreman, some rovers and ruck rovers, a couple of wingman. You knew who was playing where, whereas today they are all midfielders. Tells you nothing.