Brain Speaking- SAINTS interested in 3-4 aboriginal players!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Brain Speaking- SAINTS interested in 3-4 aboriginal players!

Possible draftees of aborignal background –

Josh SIMPSON
184 cm’s 73 kg’s
East Fremantle
Medium midfielder/forward who is exciting with his natural speed and agility. Dangerous player around goal and very capable overhead for a player of his size. Represented SA in 2011 AFL U18s before returning to his native WA in 2012 where he played 4 matches and averaged 14 disposals and 3 tackles per game.

Dayle GARLETT 18 y/o
180cm’s 75 kg’s
Swan Districts WA
Left-footed medium forward/midfielder who can find space to win the ball and shows great evasiveness through traffic. Very smart goalkicker and stoppage player as well. Excelled for WA in the AFL Under-18s averaging 19.2 possessions, 3.4 clearances and winning All-Australian honours

Marvin WARRELL 18 y/o
180cm’s 78 kg’s
Sth Fremantle WA
Medium forward/midfielder with excellent vision and awareness. Has very clean hands and disposes of the ball very effectively on both sides of his body. A creative player that has the ability to find time and space regularly. His defensive pressure is a real feature of his game.

Tim SUMNER 18 y/o
187cm’s 83kg’s
West Torrens SA
Very quick evasive mid-sized player who could play mid, back or forward. Wins his own ball, is strong overhead and is clean with his ball handling.

Brad HARTMAN 18y/o
187cm’s 87 kg’s
Glenelg SA
Medium lead-up forward with excellent leg speed and power off the mark. His ability to change direction on the lead through his impressive lateral movement, gives him the ability to create space between himself and his defender. Has great awareness and the ability to bring his teammates into the game, whilst also being able to push into the midfield at times. His best game came in Round 22 vs Central Districts at Colts level where he amassed an incredible 34 possessions and kicked 8 goals in a stand-out performance.

NOTE: Brian Speaking has indicated that we are interested in 3-4 aboriginal players – having had a look these are the more obvious choices from AFL Draft Machine. If either Simpson or Garlett slide through to our fist picks they are worth the risk. Both Sumner and Warrell would be good selections for either #41 or #44, particularly Sumner IMO.

There’s is no footage available of Hartman. There may be an NT kid we are interested in late but I don’t know enough about their talent to comment.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brain Speaking- SAINTS interested in 3-4 aboriginal play

We have been linked to Marvin Warrell but Hartman makes me want to recruit him without seeing him. I'm really going to be disappointed if we don't get Garlett now, he just has the x factor from his highlight reel.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The two South Australians will be lucky, Watters will automatically go from the Sandgropers as per par for the course.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Also looking like Watters is turning us into a Mathew Knight type attacking outfit.

Remember how great the Bombers defence was in those days?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
savatage
SS Life Member

Are we looking at any Italians, Greeks, Mexicans or Germans this year?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Are we looking at any Italians, Greeks, Mexicans or Germans this year?

Only if they live in Western Australia

Lance or James??

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Also looking like Watters is turning us into a Mathew Knight type attacking outfit.

Am I to take it that you don't like the direction we're headed?

you don't seem overly positive of Watters?

savatage
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
savatage wrote:Are we looking at any Italians, Greeks, Mexicans or Germans this year?

Only if they live in Western Australia
Named Tom?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I imagine we are 'interested' in around 100 players?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Quayle said we aren't interested in Garlett, probably thank A Lovett for that choice...

I can see us getting Marvin with one of our 40s picks... wished we had made Jed Anderson part of our Tom Lee trade though.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I think Brian actually said we were looking at 3-4 indigenous players... That obviously doesn't mean we will draft those 3 or 4!

I reckon the Garlett stuff is another WC generated smokescreen so that they can grab him with the first pick (in the 40's).

Simpson has come from being a possible 2nd rounder to a definite pick in the teens.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I think Brian actually said we were looking at 3-4 indigenous players... That obviously doesn't mean we will draft those 3 or 4!

I reckon the Garlett stuff is another WC generated smokescreen so that they can grab him with the first pick (in the 40's).

Simpson has come from being a possible 2nd rounder to a definite pick in the teens.
Josh Simpson was regarded as a top 5 draft pick this time last year however has been underwhelming in 2012, hence sliding to a mid-first rounder type.

rexy
SS Life Member

How many red heads we looking at? What about guys with blue eyes? Any homosexuals?

Not sure I like this race based segregation of possible draftees, best available regardless of colour creed religion, good people good footballers is what we need!

Maybe this year?
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Also looking like Watters is turning us into a Mathew Knight type attacking outfit.

I hope I am wrong, but look at our % to where we ended up on the ladder.

All I hear about is smallish lightning fast players with great skills - code for no defensive side.

We might be crap soon but at least we will look good.

Lance or James??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
skeptic wrote:

All I hear about is smallish lightning fast players with great skills - code for no defensive side.

That should please the guys who dont understand role players and defensive pressure. They are probably the same guys who yell out just kick the bloody thing.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Im not panicking just yet.....but I do understand where youre coming from.....throw in Trent Denis Lane and I start to go WTF?

Anyway, end this year we'll have a very good idea if Watters has an idea or if we've got a very media-polished WA cuddler on our hands...

Im hoping the master plan is so good we all dont see it but that it kicks @ss.

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

Wow that's simplistic - the understands and the don't understands. Glad the sarcasm kings are there to demonstrate a unified front for those that clearly don't GET IT. It's reasuring that there clearly is a right opinion and wrong one - even if it's only a forum.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Im not panicking just yet.....but I do understand where youre coming from.....throw in Trent Denis Lane and I start to go WTF?

Anyway, end this year we'll have a very good idea if Watters has an idea or if we've got a very media-polished WA cuddler on our hands...

Well teffers, I am getting a bit concerned.

All the WA-centric coaches and potential players, all of these forward of the ball type players and i get the feeling we may have another Matthew Knights.

But willing to cut him some slack. Look at what he inherited. Certainly not the same group that Rossy got in 07. Battle weary and on the down side of the bell curve as far as prospects go.

I liked the game style but not the results (which I very much enjoyed under R.Lyon and G.Thomas).

Watters may need another 2 years before he has his team. I am being a bit critical but I am not sold on Watters yet.

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Wow that's simplistic - the understands and the don't understands. Glad the sarcasm kings are there to demonstrate a unified front for those that clearly don't GET IT. It's reasuring that there clearly is a right opinion and wrong one - even if it's only a forum.
yeah - whatever language your post is in, I agree with.

Lance or James??

Gershwin
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:Im not panicking just yet.....but I do understand where youre coming from.....throw in Trent Denis Lane and I start to go WTF?

Well teffers, I am getting a bit concerned.

All the WA-centric coaches and potential players, all of these forward of the ball type players and i get the feeling we may have another Matthew Knights.

But willing to cut him some slack. Look at what he inherited. Certainly not the same group that Rossy got in 07. Battle weary and on the down side of the bell curve as far as prospects go.

I liked the game style but not the results (which I very much enjoyed under R.Lyon and G.Thomas).

Watters may need another 2 years before he has his team. I am being a bit critical but I am not sold on Watters yet.
We won as many games under Watters as we did the previous year under Lyon and we finished with a better percentage.
Lyon used defensive half-forwards which didn't help our chances of scoring on the rebound.
I'm quite comfortable with the direction under Watters and Hickey and Lee are good pick ups and TDL is a quick winger which I don't have a problem with either.
No concern here.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Wow that's simplistic - the understands and the don't understands. Glad the sarcasm kings are there to demonstrate a unified front for those that clearly don't GET IT. It's reasuring that there clearly is a right opinion and wrong one - even if it's only a forum.

awesome post man......... :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
Quixote
SS Life Member

Who would people prefer - Gram or TDL? Interested.

In terms of the draft, the only thing I really care about is this - at least, at the very least, draft someone who will give me the belief that we have a full-back in 2013!!

Having said that, I'm starting to think that it's going to be Sam Fisher playing the role, with others stepping into the spot he occupied hitherto.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: We won as many games under Watters as we did the previous year under Lyon and we finished with a better percentage.
Lyon used defensive half-forwards which didn't help our chances of scoring on the rebound.
I'm quite comfortable with the direction under Watters and Hickey and Lee are good pick ups and TDL is a quick winger which I don't have a problem with either.
No concern here.
We also leaked goals like we havent for some time.........its still early days and Watter needs more time but Ive no problem talking bout his decisions along the way.

We are clearly tagerting better skilled players with speed...........just hope we attract enough quality grunt depth players to help Hayes.

I thought TDL was a small fwd?

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: That should please the guys who dont understand role players and defensive pressure. They are probably the same guys who yell out just kick the bloody thing.
yep coz clearly anyone that did't like Andew "the role playing kig" McQualter dkesn't understand role players and defensive pressure

vacuous space
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:yep coz clearly anyone that did't like Andew "the role playing kig" McQualter dkesn't understand role players and defensive pressure
Yep. Sounds about right.

Yeah nah pleasing positive