Toy got delisted--can he be picked up via free agency?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Toy got delisted--can he be picked up via free agency?

Considering Toy has been delisted by GC, does that mean we could pick him up via the delisted players Free Agency period? I imagine he would be the prized delisted player, and we still have cash to burn.

rexy
SS Life Member

Re: Toy got delisted--can he be picked up via free agency?

? Was about to say no, doesn't qualify as free agent but I'm not so sure now, could be! How's does the free agency draft work, is their a draft order?

Maybe this year?
sainterinsydney
Club Player

"As part of the AFL's introduction of free agency this year, delisted players will, for the first time, be able to sign with a new club without entering the draft": http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
He has been delisted, so I can't see why he can't be.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If he's been delisted, he's a free agent. There's no draft, he just signs with someone.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Unless there are serious question marks regarding his heart illness, we should go for him.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Against us picking up any of the delisted players, unless it is a large defender. Many of them get de-listed?

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Jayden Post is a likely type--195cm and 93kg. However, Toy seems to be a highly rated junior, and could flourish at a Victorian club. We would be mad not to look at him.

evo
Club Player

I think we will take one of Tom Gillies, Lucas Cook, Josh Toy and Cruize Garlett

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sherman as a like for like gram replacement, Toy and Post all worth doing some homework on. Post was a gun junior and apparently still looks a little soft but heaps of potential. A richmond supporter mate reckons he will be better than Rhys Stanley.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:I think we will take one of Tom Gillies, Lucas Cook, Josh Toy and Cruize Garlett
Pick the spud in that lot... :shock: :shock:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

is his heart ok though? that would be the first question before anything

Superstar
Club Player

rexy wrote:? Was about to say no, doesn't qualify as free agent but I'm not so sure now, could be! How's does the free agency draft work, is their a draft order?

I pretty sure he doesn't qualify as gold coast offered him a contract, which he rejected. Think he must enter the draft.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Superstar wrote:I pretty sure he doesn't qualify as gold coast offered him a contract, which he rejected. Think he must enter the draft.
What matters is whether he opted out of GC or whether GC delisted him. He had another two weeks to opt into the draft. GC had to trim their list for today.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
lloyd21
Club Player

Toy & Post are really the only guys I would look at but up to club . We are only guessing !

lloyd21
Club Player

Toy & Post are really the only guys I would look at but up to club . We are only guessing !

evo
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
evo wrote:I think we will take one of Tom Gillies, Lucas Cook, Josh Toy and Cruize Garlett
Pick the spud in that lot... :shock: :shock:
I left Post off the list for that reason, not fussed on Gilies or Simpkin either but I think the last two would be a chance.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

The Suns did officially delist him today, so I gather that he is eligible: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Saintersss
Club Player

sainterinsydney wrote:The Suns did officially delist him today, so I gather that he is eligible: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Toy is not eligible as he was offered a contract by his existing club. You can only be eligible for this free agency period if you were not offered a contract. Otherwise you would see plenty of players not accepting contracts and being 'delisted' so they could be picked up in this period. It's like when Luke Ball left, he was technically delisted, even though we wanted to keep him.

santazzi
Club Player

Do we have the space on our list to pick all these guys and meet the requirement of having to pick so many at the draft?? please explain to me...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:"As part of the AFL's introduction of free agency this year, delisted players will, for the first time, be able to sign with a new club without entering the draft": http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
He has been delisted, so I can't see why he can't be.

thought it was only the case if they weren't offered a contract this year, which I believe Toy was offered

gringo
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:Do we have the space on our list to pick all these guys and meet the requirement of having to pick so many at the draft?? please explain to me...
We are unlikely to get one let alone all of them but if they are looked at and considered better than the players likely to be drafted with late picks we might get one of them. We are trying to patch up the middle age bracket in our list so is a distinct possibility that we will look.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Saintersss wrote:
sainterinsydney wrote:The Suns did officially delist him today, so I gather that he is eligible: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Toy is not eligible as he was offered a contract by his existing club. You can only be eligible for this free agency period if you were not offered a contract. Otherwise you would see plenty of players not accepting contracts and being 'delisted' so they could be picked up in this period. It's like when Luke Ball left, he was technically delisted, even though we wanted to keep him.
Ahhh, ok. I guess maybe in the pre-season draft, if we were interested.

SuperDuper
Club Player

I wonder whether Toy and for that matter jacobs go in the national draft. Add tippet and Adelaide losing their pick and it makes picks 25 and 26 interesting. Tippet would clearly go early. Jacobs may go around 20. Would we take him at 25? Would we look at Toy with any of our picks? Will be interesting to see how he is rated .. May be taken relatively late

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SuperDuper wrote:I wonder whether Toy and for that matter jacobs go in the national draft. Add tippet and Adelaide losing their pick and it makes picks 25 and 26 interesting. Tippet would clearly go early. Jacobs may go around 20. Would we take him at 25? Would we look at Toy with any of our picks? Will be interesting to see how he is rated .. May be taken relatively late
PSD will see him go to either Dogs or Dons. He would be available in the the 40s I would think.

As for Jacobs, we have a pick in front of the Kangas in PSD. If he goes national, then we can decide if he is the best talent available @ 26, he wont be around at pick 41.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
sax
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:I wonder whether Toy and for that matter jacobs go in the national draft. Add tippet and Adelaide losing their pick and it makes picks 25 and 26 interesting. Tippet would clearly go early. Jacobs may go around 20. Would we take him at 25? Would we look at Toy with any of our picks? Will be interesting to see how he is rated .. May be taken relatively late
PSD will see him go to either Dogs or Dons. He would be available in the the 40s I would think.

As for Jacobs, we have a pick in front of the Kangas in PSD. If he goes national, then we can decide if he is the best talent available @ 26, he wont be around at pick 41.
Sorry, I don't understand! Both should be good players, might even end up being great players!

But, I really don't think either of these guys is a KPD!

Our number 1 priority! From tomorrow until draft day, should be finding a promising KPD, whether it's Post, Bower, Gillies or someone from the draft!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296