Is Watters' WA obsession an issue?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Is Watters' WA obsession an issue?

When Watters got to the club he brought a few WA people with him, which is perfectly understandable since he's walking into an unfamiliar club and wants to work with a some people he knows and trusts. But he's just kept on raiding WA players, coaches and staff relentlessly. Can we really say that it just happens that the best man for the job has been from WA every time?

In terms of players, we've got Wilkes, Lee and now Dennis-Lane. All rather unorthodox choices, and we've paid a pretty hefty price for Lee. Then there's Graham, McPhee and Micale all signed under the Watters regime. And of course we just tried desperately and failed to get Brown from West Coast.

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy or uproar, just wondering if the choices the club has been making are totally professional and unbiased. We've seen what can happen when you put personal relationships ahead of cold logic, which was particularly evident when we gave up a first round draft pick for the son of the CEO for a return of one game.

It's something that I think needs to be kept in check. Especially when talking about players, as we've just seen with Cripps - recruiting a lot of interstate players will result in losing some to homesickness. The Dennis-Lane trade I find most concerning, as he was obviously very close to Watters, has done very little in three years in the AFL system, doesn't fill a need we have and yet we traded for him.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Watters' WA obsession an issue?

This is only the beginning. Get ready for what's next in store - a proposal to play a handful of home games at Subi :P

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Richter
SS Life Member

When Lyon came to St kilda he brought Schneider and Dempster with him beacuse of his Sydney contacts. I see this as being even more of the same sort of thing. Too soon to know if these players are going to be a hit or not...

Wilkes - did well late in the season... should start ahead of Kosi in the pecking order next season for mine
Lee - who knows... but Shifter Sheahen had him top 12, as did Terry Wallet... so could well be a steal given that we got #26 and #47 back as well as the player
TDL - we weren't going to use that pick anyway so it is irrelevant whether it was #47 or #147 that we gave Sydney... better the higher pick as it builds goodwill for the future (and goes some way to mending things after we robbed of two picks for Tommy Wlash last year)

Comes back to whether you back Watters judgment or not. For mine, so far he has done little wrong. Remember also that plenty of other significant people in the football department are NOT from WA... two names that spring to mind are Chris Pelchen and Ameet Bains...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm more worried about his obsessions with Tom's ;)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:When Lyon came to St kilda he brought Schneider and Dempster with him beacuse of his Sydney contacts. I see this as being even more of the same sort of thing. Too soon to know if these players are going to be a hit or not...

Wilkes - did well late in the season... should start ahead of Kosi in the pecking order next season for mine
Lee - who knows... but Shifter Sheahen had him top 12, as did Terry Wallet... so could well be a steal given that we got #26 and #47 back as well as the player
TDL - we weren't going to use that pick anyway so it is irrelevant whether it was #47 or #147 that we gave Sydney... better the higher pick as it builds goodwill for the future (and goes some way to mending things after we robbed of two picks for Tommy Wlash last year)

Comes back to whether you back Watters judgment or not. For mine, so far he has done little wrong. Remember also that plenty of other significant people in the football department are NOT from WA... two names that spring to mind are Chris Pelchen and Ameet Bains...
This.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote: TDL - we weren't going to use that pick anyway so it is irrelevant whether it was #47 or #147 that we gave Sydney... better the higher pick as it builds goodwill for the future (and goes some way to mending things after we robbed of two picks for Tommy Wlash last year)
I'm not concerned over the pick that we used, more that he will prevent a rookie from being upgraded. I think Dunell and Curren both have more to offer, but one or both of them will almost certainly stay on the rookie list now.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The other way of looking at this is as Watters was his previous coach perhaps he has some inside info on how to get the best out of him which the Swans have failed to do.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind if he brought us perth's weather !
I'm freezing my arse off today . :(

In red white and black from 73
Krikkett
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:When Watters got to the club he brought a few WA people with him, which is perfectly understandable since he's walking into an unfamiliar club and wants to work with a some people he knows and trusts. But he's just kept on raiding WA players, coaches and staff relentlessly. Can we really say that it just happens that the best man for the job has been from WA every time?

In terms of players, we've got Wilkes, Lee and now Dennis-Lane. All rather unorthodox choices, and we've paid a pretty hefty price for Lee. Then there's Graham, McPhee and Micale all signed under the Watters regime. And of course we just tried desperately and failed to get Brown from West Coast.

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy or uproar, just wondering if the choices the club has been making are totally professional and unbiased. We've seen what can happen when you put personal relationships ahead of cold logic, which was particularly evident when we gave up a first round draft pick for the son of the CEO for a return of one game.

It's something that I think needs to be kept in check. Especially when talking about players, as we've just seen with Cripps - recruiting a lot of interstate players will result in losing some to homesickness. The Dennis-Lane trade I find most concerning, as he was obviously very close to Watters, has done very little in three years in the AFL system, doesn't fill a need we have and yet we traded for him.

Brown is a Victorian. Just saying...

All things being equal, fat men use more soap.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Krikkett wrote:Brown is a Victorian. Just saying...
Who was playing in the WAFL when Watters was coaching Subiaco

santazzi
Club Player

To all I care he can load the footy department with the Polish and the playing list with the Spanish.............I just want him to bring the bacon home..................what ever it takes...........if it is WA inc..........so be it.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

What a load of crap ... Every coach brings in his own assistants to support him Scott is bringing with him guys who have success ... As for WA players Scott (even though it's not really Scott doing the recruiting it's the three Victorians Pelch Hutchie and Elsh..) has only brought three WA guys to the club Ross Lyon brought much more ... Put you stupid state bias away and see that it's not the 80's anymore we get the best country wide

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
PJ
SS Life Member

No he just has good intel and connections in WA. Why not exploit that rather than treat it as a negative.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:No he just has good intel and connections in WA. Why not exploit that rather than treat it as a negative.
Indeed...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Legendary
Club Player

The number of employees at the club who are from WA is probably proportional to the number of people in Australia who live in WA.

i.e. there is nothing unusual with having 6-7 people in an organisation of 100+ coming from WA.

About time that a Victorian club looked interstate for staff. Some of the best football people are from the other states. Malthouse understands that. So does Watters.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Ignorant Victorian attitude - we lost Goddard and Ball and they are both from Vic !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it's as simple as he's using his own inside knowledge RE recruiting players he's worked with before.

I suspect as time goes on, this focus will change

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

It think it is terrible that Watters is so obsessed with Western Australians.

It will be to the detriment of the club.

I started a thread on this topic three weeks ago and was howled down.

I think the trade period confirms his obsession. Three trades, two from WA and Brown played with the WCE.

A worrying trend indeed.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:It think it is terrible that Watters is so obsessed with Western Australians.

I think the trade period confirms his obsession. Three trades, two from WA and Brown played with the WCE.

A worrying trend indeed.

You forgot the sarcasm emoticon.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:It think it is terrible that Watters is so obsessed with Western Australians.

A worrying trend indeed.

You forgot the sarcasm emoticon.

Is there one?

I will use it when I am being sarcastic.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

LOL at the people assuming I have a bias against WA, what small, petty minds you'd need to jump to that. I have no problem with WA recruits, what I am somewhat concerned about is the frequency mixed with the obscurity of the recruits. If Lee turns out to be a gun tall forward for the next 8 year, fantastic! And if TDL has hidden talent that Watters manages to unlock then we've got a bargain. But it really strikes me as playing favourites, neglecting the larger system and wider pool of talent for personal relationships and past encounters.
skeptic wrote:I think it's as simple as he's using his own inside knowledge RE recruiting players he's worked with before.

I suspect as time goes on, this focus will change
I have no doubt that this is his intention, but I'm getting the feeling that he's a bit too keen and loose with resources when using his inside knowledge. For so many years we've been wasteful recruiters, spending too much and filling too many spots with the likes of Begley, Gamble, Polo, C.Gardiner, McGough etc. Then in recent years we started to actually respect the TAC Cup system and take some decent young talent, I'm hoping we're not deviating too far from that again.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
I have no doubt that this is his intention, but I'm getting the feeling that he's a bit too keen and loose with resources when using his inside knowledge. For so many years we've been wasteful recruiters, spending too much and filling too many spots with the likes of Begley, Gamble, Polo, C.Gardiner, McGough etc. Then in recent years we started to actually respect the TAC Cup system and take some decent young talent, I'm hoping we're not deviating too far from that again.

we got some duds, didn't we...makes terrible reading actually.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergsone
SS Life Member

When do we get NicNat ?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:we got some duds, didn't we...makes terrible reading actually.... :cry:
Then consider when we've used late draft picks on kids with ability rather than delistees, we've picked up Siposs, Stanley, Steven Ledger and Newnes. There will always be some who don't make it (Smith, Crocker, Heyne etc) using this method, but it's got a much better strike rate than recycling duds. It's high-percentage recruiting, and I really don't want us to stray from it again. Dempster is probably the only player of about 15 who weren't wanted by their club (due to ability) that has actually worked out for us.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:No he just has good intel and connections in WA. Why not exploit that rather than treat it as a negative.
does he really though?

Why do you say that he does?