Dal Santo - Re-sign or trade him this week.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dal Santo - Re-sign or trade him this week.

I've been thinking about Dal and what has just happened with Goddard… If we really are going to enforce a more even pay system, then there is every chance that a club will swing in next year and offer Dal another +$200,000 over what we will, plus a longer deal.

Think Collingwood or Carlton on the cusp of a flag, no doubt they will slash their list to fit in a guy like Dal.

I think it would be wise for us to try to extend his contract now, or put him on the trade table this year. Keeping in mind that the free agency period will come around again next year before the trade period. If he won't re-sign to our new pay-scale then we can at least dictate terms of a trade rather than just copping what the 'AFL determined-formula' dictates.

If we'd done this with BJ a year ago, he would have either re-signed or we most likely would have secured a top 10 pick, maybe top 5…

After next week, we have no control over what Dal does, I think we need to act now, one way or another. I am certain clubs would have already been in contact with him as it is. We have to get on the front foot.

kos
Club Player

Re: Dal Santo - Re-sign or trade him this week.

I agree with this, fair chance we could lose him for doughnuts next year!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I would guess we would have put an offer to BJ a while back to head off the free agency threat but I would imagine BJ's management would have told him to hold off signing as his value will rise significantly ... I would say Dal would have an extension put to him already but he won't sign it unless he is happy with the money offered .. I think trading him now would be a bad idea , if he leaves next year then he leaves we cross that if and when we come to it for 2013 Dal is vital for us

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Trade him this year potentially get a top 10 pick. Lose him next year as a 29 year old free agent and potentially receive a second round pick as compensation. Obviously other things like loyalty to consider....This topic will spark some debate.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Sad but true, conjure up something now, as in contact extension, or trade to gws for high draft picks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:I would say Dal would have an extension put to him already but he won't sign it unless he is happy with the money offered .. I think trading him now would be a bad idea , if he leaves next year then he leaves we cross that if and when we come to it for 2013 Dal is vital for us
Well if we come to him now with the highest bracket of our new pay structure, and say

"look Dal, we would like nothing more than for you to finish your career with us, this is the ceiling of our salary structure $X. We really need you to decide now"

Why wait until we have absolutely no control? It would be just purely bad business to let another absolute superstar walk out on us next year, we all want him to stay… if wants more cash like BJ, that is fair enough, but let's at least control the outcome.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Old Mate wrote:Trade him this year potentially get a top 10 pick. Lose him next year as a 29 year old free agent and potentially receive a second round pick as compensation. Obviously other things like loyalty to consider....This topic will spark some debate.
Agreed Ol' Mate, I reckon that this will soon become an issue for all clubs to grapple with.

My understanding is that big-time soccer clubs never let a top/required player run out of contract. With a year or so to go, they are re-signed on an extended contract, and if the player doesn't re-sign whilst still under contract, then their club will trade them out whilst said club has the power (contract) to still do so.

The big soccer clubs never want to be in the position of a top player being out of contract and therefore able to walk for nothing.

Player loyalty to club remains one of the things that sets our great game apart from many others. I certainly hope that this brave new world of free agency does not diminish this too much. Will be interesting to see how this latest game is played out... :|

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
paddy
Club Player

i could never be a list manager, because even though i think this is probably the way to go for the club...

i could never send dal to another club, without it being mutual...

however, i'd say this will become the norm in the coming years.... trade a star for a pick or an up and comer, until your window opens then do the reverse to get stars

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dal has a few good years in him left, no deal.

suss
Club Player

Loyalty died with free agency. We are 3 years away from contending for a flag, so flog him while he has currency i say.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Dal has a few good years in him left, no deal.
Think you are missing the point here…

I want him to stay, we should re-sign him, no doubt in the world…

But if he won't stay at the highest price that we have set, then someone else is going to come along and take him, for free, just like BJ. If he won't stay on our top figure of whatever - $650,000, then lets take control of what we get for him instead of waiting till week 3 of trade week next year.

BJ was pretty awful, but Dal the next year on top, would be just disastrous…

Why wait to re-sign him? He would have a pretty good idea of what he could earn elsewhere, I'm sure most clubs would have sounded his manger out already.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

We lost Goddard to FA and now Dal looms as the next possible departure. As such the suggestion that we trade him while we still have some control is quite legitimate.

However this FA stuff will affect all clubs and we'll need to develop a strategy for the years ahead.

We can put contracts to players but the problem is what do we do if they want to wait? Simply trading valuable players while still under contract is not the blanket answer. For to do so will means we'll run the risk of never seeing a St Kilda champion finish his career as a one club player again.

paddy
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:We lost Goddard to FA and now Dal looms as the next possible departure. As such the suggestion that we trade him while we still have some control is quite legitimate.

However this FA stuff will affect all clubs and we'll need to develop a strategy for the years ahead.

We can put contracts to players but the problem is what do we do if they want to wait? Simply trading valuable players while still under contract is not the blanket answer. For to do so will means we'll run the risk of never seeing a St Kilda champion finish his career as a one club player again.
I think that is the point in FA. i think that it is the end of the 1 club player...

Ironically, apparently the AFLPA wanted FA so that lower players could continue to play and make money, but we are seeing that they are just being ignored, and it is the star players who stand to reap the rewards....

be interesting to see if it stabalises in the next few years

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: For to do so will means we'll run the risk of never seeing a St Kilda champion finish his career as a one club player again.
Surely not, one team loyalty comes at a financial loss to a player (which is looking like about $200,000 PA Or 25% for the elite at this stage) But most players realise this and are happy to sort it out, one way or another.

Montagna just signed off on a deal no doubt worth less than the open market, he wanted 3 years, the club only wanted 1, they finally signed off on 2. I'm sure Chips and Gwilt were the same. Dane Beams just signed on for about half of his worth I hear…

I think we will have to start thinking of any players with 1 year left of a contract as 'uncontracted', and you can't leave your best players entering a season with less than a year anymore unless you are prepared for them to walk.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:We lost Goddard to FA and now Dal looms as the next possible departure. As such the suggestion that we trade him while we still have some control is quite legitimate.

We let goodard wait and test the waters and he left.
Dal has been a great and durable clubman that has served us well.
Now we offer an extension now. If he is unhappy or wants to wait, or more money, or chance to play in a premiership team, let him, just do it now while we hold the cards.

We are not going to contend in the next couple of years unless we draft or trade well and our young kids come on quicker than expected.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: For to do so will means we'll run the risk of never seeing a St Kilda champion finish his career as a one club player again.
Surely not, one team loyalty comes at a financial loss to a player (which is looking like about $200,000 PA Or 25% for the elite at this stage) But most players realise this and are happy to sort it out, one way or another.

Montagna just signed off on a deal no doubt worth less than the open market, he wanted 3 years, the club only wanted 1, they finally signed off on 2. I'm sure Chips and Gwilt were the same. Dane Beams just signed on for about half of his worth I hear…

I think we will have to start thinking of any players with 1 year left of a contract as 'uncontracted', and you can't leave your best players entering a season with less than a year anymore unless you are prepared for them to walk.
Dal santo was asked during the year about future - or 'if you were in this situation' and replied that he never let his contract ' run out' so I would assume we will see him re- sign by early next year...

FA may well have the reverse affect as stated above- and players willing to take less, or happy to go year by year- will win at their current clubs-- ala Blake, Milne, etc.
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 16 Oct 2012 9:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We should burn our money because tomorrow we will only spend it anyway. we need to look at teams under us like Melbourne and WB and see what happens when you put out an uncompetitive team. We won't get nothing for Dal anyway and it's unlikely we would get a top 3 pick for him anyway. I hope we try resigning him soon though.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

exactly what are people assuming there is out there to trade for.....
unless there is something amazing why Bother

Love your Work Son of Saint and expect to follow you all the way to 300 games.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Could we not over-react a little please?

If everyone shoves out their 29 year old A-graders to a team close to winning a flag and a higher paycheque then won't the other good players from that club come on the market and we get them?

the never-ending circle will continue

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:Could we not over-react a little please?

If everyone shoves out their 29 year old A-graders to a team close to winning a flag and a higher paycheque then won't the other good players from that club come on the market and we get them?

the never-ending circle will continue
Actually what happens is that the Collingwoods of this world will bring in a top liner at the expense of a player like Dawes.
That is the pickings that we as a smaller club can look forward too.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think all things should be discussed. Noone knows how FA is going to pan out.
At this stage most footy 'pundits' seem to think it wil help the richer clubs.
I think last year some wise heads on here thought maybe we should trade BJ when we had the chance - but the club thought they could keep him.

Would be terrible for our self esteem if Dal did the same thing next year and heads to the Bummers or the Tiggers under an FA deal.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

who even says there will be a compo pick next year?
the way these wankers keep changing everything,they'll prob give the compo pick to the team the FA player is actually going to.

one day ruck men wont even be able to jump!

he wont sign now
not many would imo

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You have to back your club to keep their players. FA hasnt seen many players change clubs. How many have? About 4 but because one of them is a Saints star we think players will just change clubs all the time. it wont happen.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Talk about deja vu... remember having the exact conversation about BJ last year... with the exact same arguements for and against... what would GWS give? 2 & 12? 3 & 13? If we cant get a signature then thats a louder msg than just letting BJ go... personally I wouldn't do it... Dal is a favourite of mine... and Melbourne have shown high draft picks are no sure thing...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This thread saddens me.

“Yeah….nah””