the term "list clogger"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

the term "list clogger"

This term keeps appearing, usually in relation to guys like Raph.

I hate it and find it really offensive.

It makes our players sound like cattle that you can dismiss with the wave of the auctioneers gavel.

This goes for any player at any club.

These guys are elite athletes who for one reason or another may not quite meet the standards (of play, behaviour, leadership) whatever that is asked for by that club.

In the most part they have given their all and we can't ask any more than that. To degrade them by using the term "list clogger" is both uncalled for and unfair.

Sometimes a player (who some might call a "list clogger") only has to do one thing to be forever in the history of that club. Mitch Morton I give you as my example, of someone who comes along in a gf , kicks two goals and if he never gets another kick is a hero of the swans.

And for those who will fly back with Raph in the 09 gf, this year I saw in the finals both pendlebury and hodge (both superstars) tackled and free kicked for the same thing within 15 metres of goal, it happens.

We support our club through good times and bad and we have our favourite players and our least favourite, but we should still respect all those guys who wear our jumper.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: the term "list clogger"

When we ingeniously develop a strategy and capability to allow us to recruit and maintain a list of 38 superstars, and at the same time keep them all under the Salary Cap, I may find it appropriate to refer to someone as a list clogger.

But until that unlikely time arrives, I can only agree with everything terry smith rules has written above.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

+1. Well said.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:+1. Well said.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

List clogger is nice compared to what some people call them.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

wish I could've been good enough to clog an AFL list

Nee!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Harden up Terry, it's not meant to be personal, just an assessment on a players value towards the persuit of a flag.... If someone is not doing the job, they are effectively keeping out another player.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:Harden up Terry, it's not meant to be personal, just an assessment on a players value towards the persuit of a flag.... If someone is not doing the job, they are effectively keeping out another player.
To some on here that's the answer to everything "harden up"

Of course it's personal, you are attacking the worth of a player and his value to the team.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
winmaaah
Club Player

Completely agree, it gets pretty ugly.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
dragit wrote:Harden up Terry, it's not meant to be personal, just an assessment on a players value towards the persuit of a flag.... If someone is not doing the job, they are effectively keeping out another player.
To some on here that's the answer to everything "harden up"

Of course it's personal, you are attacking the worth of a player and his value to the team.
Not sure about "attacking", but questioning the worth of a player and his value to the team… well I thought that is exactly what this forum was all about?

Be pretty boring after a match if we all held hands and cheered the players that had done well, but just kept quiet about anyone who was a bit down. That is what we do - critique player.

I'm certainly not condoning personal attacks of players, but if a player registers 2 stats for an entire half of footy, then I think it is okay for people to have a whinge… The players should not be on here reading anyway… it is a place for fans to share opinion, good and bad.

There are some awful things said on here granted, but I think "list clogger' isn't one of them. Brett Peake… for instance, seems like a great bloke, pretty good footballer, but just not what the clubs needs right now… if he had of been contracted for next year, I would say the term 'list clogger' could apply if he is not getting games. Nothing personal, nothing nasty, just purely a bloke who isn't the coaches plans, taking up a spot on the list.

b.t.w 'harden up' was meant to be a joke, I am sorry if that offended you too.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Players that no longer cut it but are still on the list are "List Cloggers" as far as i'm concerned.

I thank Gary Lyon for introducing me to the term and i believe it's an accurate description.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
SuperSaint66
Club Player

Agree with "terrysmithrules".

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think list clogger is a perfectly valid term. It suits the likes of Polo, Gamble, Peake, Begley and C.Gardiner. Players who have had their chance to establish themselves but have failed due to major deficiencies that aren't improving.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne are good at exiting out list cloggers.

barrel-it
Club Player

I find it pretty funny, when we label raph clark a 'list clogger' who has no worth, is useless etc etc etc
but we will trade him for a first round pick because he is an experienced player with a fearless attack??

either he is as you called it a 'list clogger' and worth nothing, or his value is a bit more than what you want to believe ?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Its a bulls*** term basically depending on where you are on the ladder. In 2008 we had a host of so called list cloggers. When we where flying the following year these so called list cloggers where then labelled role players.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

barrel-it wrote:I find it pretty funny, when we label raph clark a 'list clogger' who has no worth, is useless etc etc etc
but we will trade him for a first round pick because he is an experienced player with a fearless attack??

either he is as you called it a 'list clogger' and worth nothing, or his value is a bit more than what you want to believe ?
Who the hell has suggested Raph is worth a first round pick? He may have some value to a young side that needs an experienced defender to help out the kids, but no one has expected him to be worth more than a late draft pick or added on to a trade as the steak knives. He holds little to no value to us since we already have numerous options for that spare defender role who don't have his customary horrible clanger or two each game.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

From memory the term originally related to players who were not going to be part of a premiership side or your clubs potential next premiership side. These players were probably on reasonable contracts and were past their peak or were not going to make it.

I think it is a fair term for mid age or veteran players who are not able to break into a senior team.

I don't find it offensive, football is not personal it is a business. Club Loyalty is well and truly a thing of the past with Free Agency. The clubs have cut, culled and traded as they pleased for years, now it's the players turn to call the shots. We the fans may feel aggrieved at Luke Ball & Goddard, but both were guests at the Captains wedding and the latter in the bridal party.

I think we have a few list cloggers on the senior end...Kossi, Gram & Raph spring to mind. Whilst providing good service the game has gone past Kossi. Gram and Raph seem to be exposed by the decision making process required in the frenetic modern game (though I like Raph's heart).

The players are the current custodians of the club and hopefully their legacy is remembered fondly, but once their time is up and they are clogging the list it is time to go.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Inventory Impediment??

Catalogue Encumbrance??

Register Burden??

Deadweight Roster Mishap??

Expendable Resource??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend