Taking Stock

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Taking Stock

Just trying to get my head around where we stand at this point in the draft. We missed out on Caddy but at best that was a long shot especially when the Cats had a first round ace in the hole to play as compo for Ablett going to the Suns. I think we will get Hickey and Brown. So that's a ruckman and a key defender. But I reckon we still need a gun midfielder. i can't see anyone saying pick me from the free agency. So that number 13 pick we expect to receive as compensation for Goddard better be lucky for us. Speaking of Goddard, I won't feel so bad to see him go if we can really get some young hot shot to replace him. I think the club deserves it and so do the supporters. BJ was a big loss. We deserve some justice and that in my view will only come with an out of the box signing. I don't think it is too much to ask.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: Taking Stock

I agree. We MUST NOT trade pick 13. It's been years since we have had such a low pick. We should get the best pick available. These days we may be better off getting a VIC.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
ace
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:Just trying to get my head around where we stand at this point in the draft. We missed out on Caddy but at best that was a long shot especially when the Cats had a first round ace in the hole to play as compo for Ablett going to the Suns. I think we will get Hickey and Brown. So that's a ruckman and a key defender. But I reckon we still need a gun midfielder. i can't see anyone saying pick me from the free agency. So that number 13 pick we expect to receive as compensation for Goddard better be lucky for us. Speaking of Goddard, I won't feel so bad to see him go if we can really get some young hot shot to replace him. I think the club deserves it and so do the supporters. BJ was a big loss. We deserve some justice and that in my view will only come with an out of the box signing. I don't think it is too much to ask.

The big differences with Geelongs remaining mid first round pick as compensation for Abblett are it can be used next year and it value depends on who uses it.
If Geelong use it next year it would probably be pick No 15 whereas in the hands of Gold Coast it will probably be pick No3
It is dependent on where the user finishes on the ladder.
On the other hand if St Kilda gets a mid first round draft pick for Goddard it will be pick no 13 regardless of which club uses it.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:
damienc wrote:Just trying to get my head around where we stand at this point in the draft. We missed out on Caddy but at best that was a long shot especially when the Cats had a first round ace in the hole to play as compo for Ablett going to the Suns. I think we will get Hickey and Brown. So that's a ruckman and a key defender. But I reckon we still need a gun midfielder. i can't see anyone saying pick me from the free agency. So that number 13 pick we expect to receive as compensation for Goddard better be lucky for us. Speaking of Goddard, I won't feel so bad to see him go if we can really get some young hot shot to replace him. I think the club deserves it and so do the supporters. BJ was a big loss. We deserve some justice and that in my view will only come with an out of the box signing. I don't think it is too much to ask.

The big differences with Geelongs remaining mid first round pick as compensation for Abblett are it can be used next year and it value depends on who uses it.
If Geelong use it next year it would probably be pick No 15 whereas in the hands of Gold Coast it will probably be pick No3
On the other hand if St Kilda gets a mid first round draft pick for Goddard it will be pick no 13 regardless of which club uses it.
Ummm, no.

It is tied to Geelong. No matter who actually has it. The only way it'll be pick #3 is if Geelong finish low enough to recieve #2.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
ace wrote:

Ummm, no.

It is tied to Geelong. No matter who actually has it. The only way it'll be pick #3 is if Geelong finish low enough to recieve #2.
That's the way I see it - Geelong's comp pick was more desirable to GC because GC can use it next year whereas our pick 13 had to be used this year- It seems GC want the pick for next year so they can have a spread of different ages across their list

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Caddy going to Geelong may help us get Hickey.... GC now have no early picks this year, so may still have an interest in pick 24...
By contrast, GWS and Melbourne would not have any interest in using such a low pick!

saint6709
Club Player

13 is not guaranteed - so I would think responsible planning at this point would say - whatever that pick may be keep and get the best kid available in the draft - continue with trade options with the rest of our known picks - then of course whatever isnt traded tops up with more kids from the draft

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

When Geelong went on that Premiership spree, their twos side was also winning premierships. They have only really lost two players in Ablett and Mummy.

But the kids coming through, together with argueably the best under 21 year old in the land now would have them finishing top 4 next year.

It begs the question, why was it that we couldn't defer our BJ compo? I know FA is different rules but I believe thats the only thing that stopped us this year.

I think I'm going to go into hibernation, this footy stuff is getting me down... ah, the life and times of a suffering Saints supporter...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:When Geelong went on that Premiership spree, their twos side was also winning premierships. They have only really lost two players in Ablett and Mummy.

But the kids coming through, together with argueably the best under 21 year old in the land now would have them finishing top 4 next year.

It begs the question, why was it that we couldn't defer our BJ compo? I know FA is different rules but I believe thats the only thing that stopped us this year.

I think I'm going to go into hibernation, this footy stuff is getting me down... ah, the life and times of a suffering Saints supporter...
The Ablett compensation picks were able to be deferred because the AFL was unable to deliver full value while they had compromised national drafts.

If Geelong had been forced to use their picks immediately then they would have been faced with a National draft that had
10 players already taken as under age
8 priority picks and
then zone picks.

The value of each Geelong first round pick would then have been a virtual second round pick.
The AFL solved this problem by allowing these compensation picks to be deferred until after the compromised drafts.

This years draft is compromised by a few deferred compensation picks, free agency compensation picks and zone picks only.

The AFL saw no reason to make the free agency picks deferrable especially as the free agency policy is intended to be a permanent feature.

It would have been nice to defer the Goddard's free agency compensation pick because an honest assessment of St Kilda's prospect for the next few years is a tumble down the ladder.
Instead of hopefully pick 13 that number would then become top 10 in later years.
Even first pick should normal service be resumed. :(

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:13 is not guaranteed - so I would think responsible planning at this point would say - whatever that pick may be keep and get the best kid available in the draft - continue with trade options with the rest of our known picks - then of course whatever isnt traded tops up with more kids from the draft
If the AFL does not give St Kilda pick 13 then the next best they can do is give St Kilda an end of first round pick.
That places it behind the compensation pick for and values Goddard behind Rischitelli.
I know Demetriou is corrupt and acts dishonestly toward St Kilda, but is he that evil.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think this has been a major stuff up by the AFL and next year there is no way the compo wont be announced before the trade period. The also have the problem of actually screwing the teams like Port and the Saints because they could take a player with free agency and lose Goddard for a fringe player and a mid second round pick which is crazy. It actually double burnt us as we missed out on caddy because they didnt want to wait on something that was not even guaranteed when it could mean he could walk for zip. The first year and it already has extremely bad functionality. They almost need to push the trade period back and allow a transparent compensation that is announced as the players are negotiating. Why are we always the team getting screwed before they change the rules to something more sensible?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont know why the two periods have to be so long. Ideally the unrestricted player trade period should last say a week and 2 days, and overlap the Trade Period by a couple of days only, and the trade period to a week and a half only. The present set up is too long.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is illegal unless you own it. However Illegal is only a sick bird.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:When Geelong went on that Premiership spree, their twos side was also winning premierships. They have only really lost two players in Ablett and Mummy.

If we employ support staff and spend money on player welfare and footy department infrastructure (as is being done atm) there is no reason why we can't attract the best footy talent to St Kilda.

If we stick by Watters for the next 5 years and beyond...and the club admin and footy department promotes the recruitment and development of talented young players there is no reason why we cannot emulate some of Geelongs success. In 2006 the Saints and Geelong were judged as equals and on the rise and as the most likely challengers based on their playing lists. Cats went on to achieve their potential and Saints sacked its coach - who was subsequently taken to court 6 months later by the president of the footy club.

The Butters administration may have started this lengthy period of finals footy for the St Kilda footy club, but I believe they made the wrong decision at critically the worst possible time with the sacking of Grant Thomas.

If we want to hang Watters in 2014 or 2015 because we don't make finals then we are just destined to repeat mistakes from the past....and we will look back not only on the toe poke in 2009, the bad bounce in 2010 and the recruitment blunders, but also perhaps the whole GT sacking saga will also come back to haunt those who believed it was a wise decision. Lets build the foundations and create the blueprint for success. Lets get it right this time and retain the coach until the job is done.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: The Butters administration may have started this lengthy period of finals footy for the St Kilda footy club, but I believe they made the wrong decision at critically the worst possible time with the sacking of Grant Thomas.
Absolutely not. Club did the right thing at the time and in fact, if the club had the guts they would have even done it one year earlier. While Thomo was revolutionary in some ways (starting Lenny on the bench in one game was considered a big deal but now wouldn't even get a mention) was way behind in match day strategy and tactics and even things like the way we set up at stoppages etc which is now standard.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A lot of the people on here like to fret.

From what I have read the AFL have stated that Goddard would be level 1, ie, pick 13.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Scollop wrote: The Butters administration may have started this lengthy period of finals footy for the St Kilda footy club, but I believe they made the wrong decision at critically the worst possible time with the sacking of Grant Thomas.
Absolutely not. Club did the right thing at the time and in fact, if the club had the guts they would have even done it one year earlier. While Thomo was revolutionary in some ways (starting Lenny on the bench in one game was considered a big deal but now wouldn't even get a mention) was way behind in match day strategy and tactics and even things like the way we set up at stoppages etc which is now standard.
Little things like twaeking your match day strategy, your gameplan, your assistants and the footy department infrastructure are all very achievable within a short period of time. How long would you say it takes to build loyalty and passion for a footy club???

Footy fans understand that the blueprint is the playing list. GT had the core group of stars believing that they were about to achieve St Kilda immortality. They not only respected him and loved him, but they also took onboard his passion and his love of the St Kilda footy club.

Building loyalty, passion and a combined team goal of achieving history was one of GT's greatest gifts to this playing group. Mr 'career coach' cam along and inherited that. He believed getting rid of Goose and X and Bally was the right thing to do!! He thought hard work and professionalism and stoppage set-ups and defensive forwards alone could win him a premiership.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Little things like twaeking your match day strategy, your gameplan, your assistants and the footy department infrastructure are all very achievable within a short period of time. How long would you say it takes to build loyalty and passion for a footy club???

Footy fans understand that the blueprint is the playing list. GT had the core group of stars believing that they were about to achieve St Kilda immortality. They not only respected him and loved him, but they also took onboard his passion and his love of the St Kilda footy club.

Building loyalty, passion and a combined team goal of achieving history was one of GT's greatest gifts to this playing group. Mr 'career coach' cam along and inherited that. He believed getting rid of Goose and X and Bally was the right thing to do!! He thought hard work and professionalism and stoppage set-ups and defensive forwards alone could win him a premiership.

Yep he was wrong because of poor kicking for goal and a bit of bad luck with a bounce. I really wish we kept Goose to play in the seconds. Im sure he would have loved that. And X to never play because he was always injured. By the way how do you know the players loved GT. Rooy did but what about others? Can you name them. Milney for example.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Keep Pick 13 i would say.
I've got a feeling Watters and Pelchin could just about pick a genuine good player with enough quality to make it.
I know nothing is guaranteed but i feel we should give ourselves a chance of a top flight player at this pick. I know it's gambling but we may not get a top 15 pick for a few years .
Watters and Pelchin would have already seen a fair bit at their previous clubs so i think they can be realistically confident with their own opinions. Gee i hope so!

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Megamaguire wrote:we may not get a top 15 pick for a few years .
I think we will get many top 15 picks over the next decade, unless you think we will become top 4 for the next few years?

I agree though, we should definitely use 13 in the draft.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:
SaintPav wrote: Absolutely not. Club did the right thing at the time and in fact, if the club had the guts they would have even done it one year earlier. While Thomo was revolutionary in some ways (starting Lenny on the bench in one game was considered a big deal but now wouldn't even get a mention) was way behind in match day strategy and tactics and even things like the way we set up at stoppages etc which is now standard.

Yep he was wrong because of poor kicking for goal and a bit of bad luck with a bounce. I really wish we kept Goose to play in the seconds. Im sure he would have loved that. And X to never play because he was always injured. By the way how do you know the players loved GT. Rooy did but what about others? Can you name them. Milney for example.
And Mr Exit - Harves himself - I think there would be quite the list and it was pretty divided!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.