Where is Nicholas Winmar's future

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Faulky63
Club Player

Can anyone give an insight to what is happening with Winmar, will he stay on the list?

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: Where is Nicholas Winmar's future

Be lucky to stay on the senior list.

sax
Club Player

Elsewhere!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

He's contracted for next year.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Found it interesting that Winmar and Long were drafted in the same year by us and Dons. Long was re-rookied last year and this year delisted. I fear Nick will suffer the same fate once his ridiculous two year contract expires. Actually, maybe he can be a sweetener to get Brown... just as goodwill to show we are happy to give up a contracted player also!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Scoop
Club Player

Rookie 2013...

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
nw7
Club Player

we should try and package him with Cripps for Brown

dragit
Saintsational Legend

nw7 wrote:we should try and package him with Cripps for Brown
steak knives… I like it.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

He's being trying for years to prove he's a spud, except, those in the right places have refused to believe it.

I think Winmar is now beginning to turn them around..

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I trust they must know what they are doing with him. He's a nice size so I guess they are letting him find his feet, just hope he gets a good preseason and realises the chance might end before he gets to prove himself. He's been pretty unlucky with his body.

class of 2010
Club Player

for the first time since they joined the club both he and Warrick Andreoli finally look as though they have adult bodies. With another preseason both of these guys (most likely from the rookie list) will at least be able to show what they have to offer. I feel as though both of these boys, Winmar in particular hasn't had the opportunity to show his wares as he was built like a stick, particularly through the legs.

oh when the saints
andrewg
Club Player

Struggles delisted end of next year or traded

gringo
Saintsational Legend

class of 2010 wrote:for the first time since they joined the club both he and Warrick Andreoli finally look as though they have adult bodies. With another preseason both of these guys (most likely from the rookie list) will at least be able to show what they have to offer. I feel as though both of these boys, Winmar in particular hasn't had the opportunity to show his wares as he was built like a stick, particularly through the legs.

Warrick was having a purple patch then injured himself this year but looked a player for a few weeks. I hope he gets a run on because he can play, just can't keep him on the park. I hope your right. I still wouldn't mind getting Cook and Cocky if there is a couple of places on the rookie list or even from the PSD. Can they both be mature age rookies?

class of 2010
Club Player

gringo wrote:
class of 2010 wrote:for the first time since they joined the club both he and Warrick Andreoli finally look as though they have adult bodies. With another preseason both of these guys (most likely from the rookie list) will at least be able to show what they have to offer. I feel as though both of these boys, Winmar in particular hasn't had the opportunity to show his wares as he was built like a stick, particularly through the legs.

Warrick was having a purple patch then injured himself this year but looked a player for a few weeks. I hope he gets a run on because he can play, just can't keep him on the park. I hope your right. I still wouldn't mind getting Cook and Cocky if there is a couple of places on the rookie list or even from the PSD. Can they both be mature age rookies?
I dont think Adam cockie's skills at VFL level will translate to AFL level. I think if we were to go after one of them the style of play Cook plays is in the Jimmy Magner mould. To be honest I think if we want a mature body in the midfield tom curren is built like a truck (unless he's standing next to Marcus Marigliani) and is quicker/better skilled than either of them. I really think he will become a good AFL player. Waz just looks like a footballer to me so hopefully at least one of he and Winmar come on!

oh when the saints
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Winmar needs to change his first name.
We had ample Nicks are looking for another Elvis!

andrewg
Club Player

I would like to see Cockie play with better players around him and n better conditions. I think his game would go up a notch.

Just feel like he gives outside run. Might be rookie listed

gringo
Saintsational Legend

class of 2010 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I dont think Adam cockie's skills at VFL level will translate to AFL level. I think if we were to go after one of them the style of play Cook plays is in the Jimmy Magner mould. To be honest I think if we want a mature body in the midfield tom curren is built like a truck (unless he's standing next to Marcus Marigliani) and is quicker/better skilled than either of them. I really think he will become a good AFL player. Waz just looks like a footballer to me so hopefully at least one of he and Winmar come on!

Curren is all bicep and Marigliani just looks like a bull. He would be a ripper if he was 195 cm he looks like he could eat you as it is -forwards would run away from him. He is unfortunately just a bit slow and not tall enough otherwise he could have made it at AFL level I think. I thought Sikora did enough to get a go as a back up ruck somewhere. I still think one of Cook, Cockie and Sikora could be a handy mature age rookie. He would be pretty handy if we run out of rucks as he's a pretty old school tap ruckman and got better as he went.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:I would like to see Cockie play with better players around him and n better conditions. I think his game would go up a notch.

Just feel like he gives outside run. Might be rookie listed

Yeah I like what I saw of Cockie and thought he was pretty good. I thought Barlow was pretty ordinary at VFL level but the better players around him helped lift his skills.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Well it seems Winmar has a year to prove himself. Lets hope he puts his head down and has a massive pre-seasona nd surprises a few people.
Its up to him.
I hope he makes it. But at the end of next season, his race will have been run if he does not play at least several AFL games

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Watters has openly said he has the ability but doesn't work nearly hard enough and doesn't want to succeed badly enough.

Scott has told Nick that he is going to work him so hard in Arizona that he is going to "Make him Cry". :shock:

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
ace
Saintsational Legend

I think the recruiters were hoping he would be a replacement for Raph Clarke.
But unlike Raph who was taken at pick No 8 !!!!!!!!! ,Winmar was taken at pick No 32 in a draft that had already had one third of the kids picked over by Gold Coast.
Clearly Wnmar was never going to have those rare talents of Raph Clarke.

Winmar may have a future helping Sandringham lose crucial games.
Once his St Kilda contract expires he will become part of Labor's next education revolution - Gonski.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

can play doesnt work hard enough. the club has faith in him for one more year i reckon

#1 Ryder fan
saintlee
Club Player

I still think Winmar can make it....just needs to put the hard yards in

savatage
SS Life Member

Andreoli's shown a lot more than Winmar. Andreoli can find the football, Winmar just floats in & out of games. Sometimes you don't even know he is out there.

lloyd21
Club Player

Will be gone as soon as contract expires

Eagles won't fall for it either.. Gws maybe.. but from what I have seen struggles at VFL level .

This is the best draft in 10 years Saints must make the right picks this year majority Key Position players they need a heap.