Timing of compensation pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pureoctain
Club Player

Timing of compensation pick

Very confused about something, if we only find out after the trade and free agency period what compensation we get for Goddard then we can't use it to get anyone else. Say we get pick 13 and like everyone says we will use it to try and get someone like Caddy. Isn't the trade period over when we get the pick? Am I missing something?

SaintTom
Club Player

Re: Timing of compensation pick

Pureoctain wrote:Very confused about something, if we only find out after the trade and free agency period what compensation we get for Goddard then we can't use it to get anyone else. Say we get pick 13 and like everyone says we will use it to try and get someone like Caddy. Isn't the trade period over when we get the pick? Am I missing something?
No, we find out on October 19, but the Trade Period goes for a month instead of a week this year so we still have plenty of time to deal.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

SaintTom wrote:
Pureoctain wrote:Very confused about something, if we only find out after the trade and free agency period what compensation we get for Goddard then we can't use it to get anyone else. Say we get pick 13 and like everyone says we will use it to try and get someone like Caddy. Isn't the trade period over when we get the pick? Am I missing something?
No, we find out on October 19, but the Trade Period goes for a month instead of a week this year so we still have plenty of time to deal.
We actually have 1 extra week to trade the pick as trade period finishes on the 26th

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:No, we find out on October 19, but the Trade Period goes for a month instead of a week this year so we still have plenty of time to deal.
Still makes no sense to me why we find out so late. Why not tell us as soon as the deal is signed? It's not exactly a complicated formula. Then if we take a free agent, they can pull back the original pick and add a later one. Pretty simple. That way everyone knows where everyone stands and there's none of this "maybe we get pick 13" bulls***.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kil ... 6486891647

The AFL has told the Saints they must wait until the free agency window closes on October 19 as any compensation decision takes in both gains and losses.

If the Saints land a free agent, their compensation may be watered down.

But they would like a definitive answer now about what they would receive for Goddard (right) if the status quo remained, so they can start planning and shopping the pick around.

St Kilda head of football Chris Pelchen said yesterday: "It's one of the anomalies that we see with the new system.

"Clubs should probably have a clearer understanding of what the compensation is so they can use it earlier in the trading period rather than the last week of the period."

The Saints are likely to receive top-end compensation for Goddard - a first-round pick directly after their pick No.12 - if they sit on their hands and do not land a free agent.

But they are in talks on potential trades with other clubs, which would like to know if St Kilda can definitely offer pick No.13.

"We can't use a selection we don't have. We can't go shopping," Pelchen said.

While the Saints would be able to land prime young talent with pick No.13, they have far from a youth-only approach.

"We're talking to several clubs . . . if it is pick 13, we are certainly open-minded to trading it."

matrix
Saintsational Legend

you'd think they'd let you know huh
wonder why they cant/don't :?:

Pureoctain
Club Player

SaintTom wrote:

Oh, new I must have missed something. Thanks!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://m.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/st-k ... 6486891647

Farren contracted for 2013, and club not looking at trade (does nit mean player is not)

And Blake waiting to see.

Also late night radio suggested word that Caddy was nono on saints may have been sms d#e# heads
But Suns have said not enough compo you can go in the draft.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The Saints invested 10 years in BJ. Very hard to see why the club is being punished by FA rules, as Pelchen is saying, their hands are tied and any compensation pick is severely devalued by the uncertainty.
Its like selling your house and the bank not letting you know how much you can borrow for your next place, until much much later. Any houses you may desire, could be sold before you can put an offer!
That sucks big time!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Monkey Boy and Dimwit need to be pressured by the media as to what pick we get if things don't change.

Sure, if another team below us on the ladder loses a restricted free agent, our llkely pick of 13 would drop down a rung.

Surely they can give us an idea given a few caveats?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Monkey Boy and Dimwit need to be pressured by the media as to what pick we get if things don't change.

Sure, if another team below us on the ladder loses a restricted free agent, our llkely pick of 13 would drop down a rung.

They cant because we may get someone else under FA. Lets face it the clubs we deal with for trades will basically know 99% that we will have 13 to use in a trade. The best way would be for the FA to only go a week and finish before the trade period. I suppose the reason against that is you may miss someone in trade and still try to get someone on FA.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:Monkey Boy and Dimwit need to be pressured by the media as to what pick we get if things don't change.

Prior to FA the said the would give an indicitive pick as to what we would get. I think we are most frustrated with not being able to trade it earlier.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
paddy
Club Player

There should be a definitive formula or at least we can contact the AFL and ask:

"what do we get if, now we have lost goddard, we take on someone like rivers"

Instead it seems like we will not take part in FA but keep the best pick possible, to use for a busy trade period.

Fingers crossed Caddy doesn't go before the 19th

SaintTom
Club Player

paddy wrote:There should be a definitive formula or at least we can contact the AFL and ask:

"what do we get if, now we have lost goddard, we take on someone like rivers"

Instead it seems like we will not take part in FA but keep the best pick possible, to use for a busy trade period.

Fingers crossed Caddy doesn't go before the 19th
I really doubt that he will. GC won't trade until they know all their options, and they don't need to.

Superstar
Club Player

The compo works on net loss/gain. AFL can't work out compo until the end of the FA window. For example it stays as is we will get band 1 compo, we sign a another band 1 player we get no compo. We sign a lesser player we get lesser compo etc..

It wouldn't surprise me if the afl have given the saints an informal indication of what to expect.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

This is not rocket science, surely.

The AFL should know by now that BJ is a tier 1 player and that the compensation should be a 1st round pick straight after our pick.
If we're not going to get pick 13 then we might target another free agent but as it stands now, we just don't know.

Another poorly thought out process by the masters of poorly thought out processes.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

As I understand it, the rating of a player into free agent "bands" or tiers or whatever, takes into account their age, various honours won, their draft position, the size of contract they are offered etc, so it is possible that the exact rating is not known for a player who could be borderline between two tiers and tipped into one or the other based on the size of contract he signs.

Having said that, surely it can't be that hard to have it al worked out for the start of the week, then allocate them to their final band or tier after the deal is done and their contract is known? I mean its pretty obvious a 200 game, 27 year old former #1 draft pick who just signed for a bazillion dollars is tier 1 !!

Jsut tell us that and let us know what will happen to that rating if we then sign X, Y or Z free agents ourselves!

Is there any other likely tier one free agents from teams currently ahead of us in the draft? That is the only thing that could effect our compensation pick if we don't sign a free agent ourselves.
This is what gets me, they know who all the restricted and unrestricted freee agents are, so they should be able to forecast just about every compensation repercussion before the week starts on something as simple as a friggin excel spreadhseet! Another example of them making something that should be relatively simple into a bloody minefield of unintended consequences, ala the interchange bench post-it note fiasco.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Superstar wrote:The compo works on net loss/gain. AFL can't work out compo until the end of the FA window. For example it stays as is we will get band 1 compo, we sign a another band 1 player we get no compo. We sign a lesser player we get lesser compo etc..

It wouldn't surprise me if the afl have given the saints an informal indication of what to expect.
What I'd like to know is what happens if you have say two band 1s leave or a band 1 & 3 leave? Its like 1+0=1, but 1+2 still equals 1!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Superstar
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
Superstar wrote:The compo works on net loss/gain. AFL can't work out compo until the end of the FA window. For example it stays as is we will get band 1 compo, we sign a another band 1 player we get no compo. We sign a lesser player we get lesser compo etc..

What I'd like to know is what happens if you have say two band 1s leave or a band 1 & 3 leave? Its like 1+0=1, but 1+2 still equals 1!
That's the interesting part and hasnt really been explained fully yet. Though if they are basically allocating a numerical value to each free agent and working out net loss/gain, then you'd be correct. If the saints lost BJ, but gains 3 lesser players they may not get any compo picks.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

But what happens if we lose BJ and lets just say Nicky Dal.....do we get a top 5 pick or two picks after our first rd pick

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:But what happens if we lose BJ and lets just say Nicky Dal.....do we get a top 5 pick or two picks after our first rd pick
It hasn't been made clear however I assume we'd end up with the two picks after our first. The AFL really haven't thought this whole FA process through, or at least haven't communicated it effectively.

Rosco
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
Sick Nal Danto wrote:But what happens if we lose BJ and lets just say Nicky Dal.....do we get a top 5 pick or two picks after our first rd pick
It hasn't been made clear however I assume we'd end up with the two picks after our first. The AFL really haven't thought this whole FA process through, or at least haven't communicated it effectively.
this.

I'd expect it to be the two after our first pick as well, not one pick at 5. It'd be nice if they gave us a choice.