See you later Brendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

See you later Brendon

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/nick-r ... 6476072929

600k is a fair deal but if the Dockers are prepared to pay you 800k for 5 years then take it. They need you more than the Saints do

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: See you later Brendon

Interesting article. I dont fully understand the Riewoldt part of it - they say payments were deferred to 2013-4 and also that he would take a cut. It isnt super clear. I assume it means he is willing to forego the deferred payments in the hope we can keep BJ and/or recruit some gun players (he may also feel he has had a good run and his knee is fading on him). Either way top bloke St NICK!

But yeah if we offer BJ 3x650 (1.95) and someone else offers him 4 x 800 (3.2). He will go for the extra 1mill I would say.

Best BJ goes straight away on 1 October. Leaves us with 2 x 1st round picks plus a stack of cash. So we can aggressively go for Caddy (and maybe someone else decent as well) and then use pick 12 on a young gun.

This could turn in to a bonanza for us if we are smart and a bit lucky.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can someone pls post the whole article here? Easier to get onto SS with crappy Vodafone 3G mobile Internet than some other sites!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

My mail says he's gone & it's unfortunatley f#%*ing Essendon.

Hate those prycks with a fervent passion.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:My mail says he's gone & it's unfortunatley f#%*ing Essendon.

Good luck to them but I hope they don't Goddard is gonna go into the middle and morph into some ball winning collusus to help.... cause Goddard ain't a ball winning mid...

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:My mail says he's gone & it's unfortunatley f#%*ing Essendon.

Good luck to them but I hope they don't Goddard is gonna go into the middle and morph into some ball winning collusus to help.... cause Goddard ain't a ball winning mid...
I think you're right, but he's an effective outside receiver. You never know, he may live up to his hype someday and he's sure going to be paid for it.

I think Pelchen and Watters relise that you done throw the baby out with the bath water, cos that's what will happen to the Saints salary cap if they match another teams offer for him. Lets cut our losses and get some good young players in return.

Buckets
SS Life Member

If they want to pay $800,000 for a year for 4 years for an outside mid good on them! But hope they have enough for when Jobe asks for more! IMO Jobe should be getting more than Goddard.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

One of the criticisms of BJ is how he performs under pressure.

Not so much the pressure of the occassion (eg 2010 GF1), but under the pressure of close tagging etc.

If he goes for mega bucks at the age of 28 it will be interesting to see how he performs under that sort of pressure. Fans notoriously aren't that forgiving of highly paid players who underperform (relative to their salary) and who's arrival later forces the departure of club favourites due to salary cap pressures.

If BJ goes he'll really need to be on his game.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote:Interesting article. I dont fully understand the Riewoldt part of it - they say payments were deferred to 2013-4 and also that he would take a cut. It isnt super clear. I assume it means he is willing to forego the deferred payments in the hope we can keep BJ and/or recruit some gun players (he may also feel he has had a good run and his knee is fading on him). Either way top bloke St NICK!

But yeah if we offer BJ 3x650 (1.95) and someone else offers him 4 x 800 (3.2). He will go for the extra 1mill I would say.

Best BJ goes straight away on 1 October. Leaves us with 2 x 1st round picks plus a stack of cash. So we can aggressively go for Caddy (and maybe someone else decent as well) and then use pick 12 on a young gun.

Sorry Con, but your maths are wrong. The article doesn't say 4 x 800. it says $800k in his FIRST year, and it is very specific about that. Anyone who would be prepared to sign a guy now on a contract that would see him on $800k at 32 years old has rocks in their head - I doubt too many at either of those clubs would fit that description. In fact you would suspect that will try and offset their upfront cost ($800k) with a reduced fourth year ($500k). So would probably be a sliding deal ($800k, $700k, $600k, $500k) so a total of $2.6m which ends up being 1 x extra year at $650k. People negotiating contracts that are any good at it don't just give up what the other party wants - they get something for whatever they give up. In this case the obvious way would be that if he wants a 4 year deal and a big first year paypacket then the contract decreases every year over it's life.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Massive misconception that the guy can't win his own contested ball....

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Massive misconception that the guy can't win his own contested ball....
General consensus here is that he's an outside receiver so I guess you're on your own

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:Massive misconception that the guy can't win his own contested ball....
General consensus here is that he's an outside receiver so I guess you're on your own
I guess so...

Would it surprise you if I told you he averaged this season...

One less contested possession a game than Jude Bolton, Jordan Lewis, David Mundy?

westy
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
I guess so...

One less contested possession a game than Jude Bolton, Jordan Lewis, David Mundy?

Good observation. I suspect Goddard has been labelled a wide receiver because people think he is defecting to the opposition and so therefore he is no good anymore. I wish I knew what to think about him, and his leaving. If you think about his performances for us over the years then we probably are better off letting him go, save some money and get some good draft picks and let's do it quickly so we don't miss out on the best picks. So, judging by my success at tipping this year, he might just stay!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
I guess so...

Other than the 2010 GF1 I can't remember the last time he won or nearly won a game for St.Kilda.

I don't put in the same class as Harvey or Hayes, he's a good player but not a great player so he's not worth any more than 600k

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think it's about time we got our contract-culture in-line… obviously been paying way overs for a groups of players for a long time. Unfortunately for Brendon he missed out on the big pay-day that others received if he wants to stay at the club… however 650 PA is not to be sneezed at…

Even if we could match Goddards FA bids, we need to set a new precedence for the entire club… no single player is worth jeopardising our ability to retain other good players. Geelong have obviously done it for years, Collingwood players are doing exactly the same right now… we are well overdue to do the same.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Interesting article. I dont fully understand the Riewoldt part of it - they say payments were deferred to 2013-4 and also that he would take a cut. It isnt super clear. I assume it means he is willing to forego the deferred payments in the hope we can keep BJ and/or recruit some gun players (he may also feel he has had a good run and his knee is fading on him). Either way top bloke St NICK!

Sorry Con, but your maths are wrong. The article doesn't say 4 x 800. it says $800k in his FIRST year, and it is very specific about that. Anyone who would be prepared to sign a guy now on a contract that would see him on $800k at 32 years old has rocks in their head - I doubt too many at either of those clubs would fit that description. In fact you would suspect that will try and offset their upfront cost ($800k) with a reduced fourth year ($500k). So would probably be a sliding deal ($800k, $700k, $600k, $500k) so a total of $2.6m which ends up being 1 x extra year at $650k. People negotiating contracts that are any good at it don't just give up what the other party wants - they get something for whatever they give up. In this case the obvious way would be that if he wants a 4 year deal and a big first year paypacket then the contract decreases every year over it's life.
fair call. my maths isnt wrong but my inputs are.
anyhoo. sounds like 'BJ and the bear' are outta here.
Bring on Josh Caddy!

paddy
Club Player

I only hope that he leaves early , if he does leave, give us some time to play with the extra money we will have.......

I would be pretty shattered for him to sign on the last day of FA, and we are left with no ways to spend our money, except on the trade table....

suss
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
She's not. The stats will back it up. So will the image of him after the 09 grand final - broken nose, broken collarbone, broken heart...not the wounds of a 'wide receiver'.

I think he's worth $600k for 3 years with less in the 4th. I hope he stays...i'll survive if he doesn't.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:I only hope that he leaves early , if he does leave, give us some time to play with the extra money we will have.......

I would be pretty shattered for him to sign on the last day of FA, and we are left with no ways to spend our money, except on the trade table....
Agree. Best he informs now so we can go hard on available players.
I want Caddy badly now.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
paddy wrote:I only hope that he leaves early , if he does leave, give us some time to play with the extra money we will have.......

I want Caddy badly now.

Youd think the people that need to know would.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I want Caddy badly now.

Youd think the people that need to know would.
Agree.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

This right there x 10

You can put up stats till doomsday - and folks will just say the same thing, why bother?

Hold your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I want Caddy badly now.

Do you know much about Caddy? How many times have you seen him play?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
This right there x 10

You can put up stats till doomsday - and folks will just say the same thing, why bother?

You seem keen to keep BJ G man. What is the maximum the club should pay this guy and when you give us a figure I would like to know how you can justify this guy being the second highest paid player ever at this club.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Speak for yourself. I agree with K. He can win his own ball. I've watched him do it on the biggest stage for starters, more than once. He has the blend spot on in my opinion. Yes his year wasn't "A" grade. Doesn't mean he's a receiver.

Also doesn't mean we should give him 4 years, or pay him overs.