At seasons end.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

At seasons end.

As we reach the final round of the season I've allowed myself to be a wee bit more reflective than usual. We've missed the eight (for only the second time in the last 8 years :roll: ) and yet to see some of the posts from folk here one would think it was the end of the world (with worse to follow!)
With all its ups and downs, highs and lows, joys and tears, I enjoyed 2012. I enjoyed it simply because I was ABLE to. I was fit, healthy and able to be there to see those Sainters play. My friend Jim passed away around this time last year. Jim fought the good fight against Cancer and gave it everything for "four quarters" but in the end was a runner up. His battle has inspired me. Jim was ..like me... an immigrant to Australia who embraced Aussie rules footy, and (like me) gave his heart to those Saints. We spent so many hours together in that factory, that we were almost like brothers, each saturday morning, we picked the winners...until the race proved us wrong..or OTHERWISE! We vied with each other in the footy tips comp..but ALWAYS backed the Saints! (whoever they were playing!) He was my soul brother and in times of strife was a confidant and ally. I still remember in all the euphoria of the 2005 QF win at AAMI as we boarded the bus back to Moorabbin my mobile phone going off and Jim on the other end saying "listen to this boss!" and the Saints song playing over my phone all the way from clarinda!!! After I was made redundant Jim and I still met up at the dome for saints games. I was there for his surprise 60th party with the joint decked out in red-white-and-black and the "saints song" blaring out on the PA as he walked in! That was the last time I spent with my friend. How apt. So I hope you folks will forgive me if I say to you, "We missed the eight? boo hoo" I will shed no tears for one "poor" ( :roll: ) season. I will waste no tears on what may have been. But as this season ends, I remember my friend, and I think of those Sainters who have passed away this past year without seeing the boys get the "big one" and at games end Sunday (win or lose) I will have a private moment of remembrance for them, and I will pledge to KEEP GOING in backing our club, for their sake. May I just ask you folks, to be nice to each other, enjoy every moment you get to spend following this club, enjoy every moment spent with pals and family at the footy. Accept that we may not always be top eight, but that together we will always strive for it! Enjoy every minute, savour the good times and understand that the bad times don't kill us! I look forward to seeing my pals this week for the final match of the year, and I pray that as many of us as possible are back to do it all again NEXT year! God I love this club!!!!
Go SAINTS!!!!!
Love to all
Dave :D

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: At seasons end.

A bit of perspective there.
I had Saints mad friends die in their forties during 97 & 09 finals so losing GF's does not feel as earth shattering as it once would have.
Doesn't mean we don't want one though!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Richter
SS Life Member

As ever, Dave, some wonderful and poignant words... which remind of the things that really matter in this life... family, friends, loyalty... and our footy club... St Kilda...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Fortius Quo Fidelius

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

All I wanted to do in sharing my thoughts is to bring some sense of what it means to me to be a part of this club. sure I'm disappointed that we won't be in september action this year, but I'm also disappointed that I won't see my pal Jack Barker and his lovely missus at the game again. I won't be seeing my old mate Jim again, and you know, if they asked me "if you could pick between a flag, or an hour with your pal over a beer at the footy?" then I'd say BUGGER the flag!!!! But life aint like that, and we don't get what we want, we get what we get!
Please don't take a minute with each other for granted! Time with our pals at the footy is so precious...but so fleeting!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I'll be honest I normally skip over your stuff Jigster........I know what Im gonna get but I do admire your consistency. However, that is a well worded post - well done to you.

I note 1 small problem with it: the intent, Im sure, is to leave us with a view that we need to put our dissapointments into perspective, that "boo hoo" we missed th 8 and life deals out much more than that. All true, however, when you throw in the stuff around mourning the passing of long lost old Saints fans who never got their chance to see us win a flag.........Im left with 1 emotion:

Geezus Im p!ssed off we arent GENUINELY a finals threat cause I want a flag!!!!!!!!!

Can you see the dilema? No perspective there.........

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

when i see a blog written at 10.30 at night with the word " wee " in the first sentence , I tend to believe the poster may have had a " wee " bit of alcohol .

Still poignant words for a departed friend !

And why not toast a friend , for without good friends and family ( and the saints ) , life's dull .

In red white and black from 73
The Jeff
Club Player

Wonderful message. Thanks for sharing mate.

FQF
philtee
Club Player

Beautiful post O Jigging One.

starsign
Club Player

Great stuff
Love ya M8!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

After our game tomorrow, I will be deleting my footy app on the iPad. I will be changing my home page on the computer from Bigpond, so I don't see any footy headlines during the finals.

I have zero interest in afl in the next month. I will stil be checking in on SS but carefully avoiding any threads that hint at what's happening in the finals.

I love the Saints and you guys. It burns me that our boys of this current era couldn't nail that second flag in either 09 or 10. I have follow the Saints for 40 years now and will continue to follow them till the end.

Very poignant post jig. I lost my best mate in 1987, in a drunken fight. I was 25, he was 26. I remember when Plugger won the Brownlow a few months later and I was imaging my mate stirring me about the big log but knowing he would've been wrapt for me, even though he didn't follow the Saints.

Cheers all

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good post Dave. Confused me a bit at the start saying Jim, an immigrant, dying of cancer this time last year. Stynes died in about March. I worked it out once you said it was his surprise 60th!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

From my perspective, disappointed we didn't make the finals, but still enjoyed this year much more than last year.
If there was a moment this year that just lifted your hope for things to come it must have been in the Monday night game against Carlton when Saad through sheer pace got hold of the ball than handballed it too Stanley who used his pace too score a memorable goal.
That was just one of the most exciting passage of play I have seen for a long time from this side (well at least for over a year).
But it finishes tomorrow, my mastercard will be happy that it doesn't have too purchase any tickets in September this year.
From what I have heard, I am really looking forward to the post season trading and draft this year as I think we may see why Pelchen was recruited.
To everyone here, hope your all healthy and families stay well and we look forward to a great 2013.
Yes, there is more too life than football, but then again, that's what Spring and Summer are for.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

To all my good pals on saintsational and the MW, It was great sharing the year with you all, through the ups and downs of a topsy-turvey season (that I actually enjoyed) Hope to catch up with you next year at the "dome we call home" and maybe the "G" in September?
Regards and love to all
Dave :lol: :lol: