Just a few questions.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Phosphorous Saints

Just a few questions.

I'm still a new-comer so I still have to get the hang of the lingo and the way things work. Please forgive! :oops:
I'm reading a lot about the draw: is there a system for how the schedule's decided each year?
Also, why is it that we play home games at Etihad and at the G?
What's the different between a contested and an uncontested mark? What's the purpose of a ruckman? What are some things that merit free kicks? What about when a players gets a free right in front of the goal square?
One more thing: What's Club Membership all about?
I hope I'm not irritating! Just trying to learn! Thanks a bunch.

Darren
Club Player

Re: Just a few questions.

Schedule decided each year?
I think each club gives preferences to the AFL and they put it through a computer software that'll generate the draw. I don't know too much about the drawing.

Etihad and MCG home games?
Etihad is our home ground and so is the MCG. As we are one of the sport tenants at Etihad, that is why we play most of our games at that particular stadium.

Contested/Uncontested marking?
Contested marking is when you're next to your opponent and you try and push them away so you can mark it. Uncontested means you marked the ball easy without the opposition trying to defend you from marking.

Ruckmans?
Rucks are vital. Both rucks in each team want to tap the ball to our midfielders - if we are able to gather the ball quickly, we are able to move it forward. Examples:

Free kicks??
You can get a free kick for any type of illegal play, such as push in the back, high tackle (arms around neck), tripping, deliberate, and much more. You can also get a free kick (and possible 50 metre penalty) if the player takes too long to comply with the umpire's instructions. If a player get's a free kick in front of a goal square IN OUR FORWARD, we kick 10 metres out right in front. If a player gets a free kick in front of a goal square IN OUR DEFENCE, you're in trouble.

Club memberships help support the club in many ways. You are able to buy a membership just to support the club or you can buy membership with General Admission seating and membership with Reserved Seating. It's definitely worth it!

Hope I've answered your questions. :)

Richter
SS Life Member

I'm reading a lot about the draw: is there a system for how the schedule's decided each year?

It isn't a draw it's a FIXture... with the following rules...
1. Make the AFL as much $$ as possible.
2. Give Collingwood the most favourable travel agenda.
3. Release it to coincide with the November racing carvnival so that any fans' protests are muted.

Also, why is it that we play home games at Etihad and at the G?

Mostly we play at the Dome in order that the AFL can pay off Collo's retirement fund, but occasionally we get a home game at the 'G'... decided basically by Adrian Anderson plucking fixtures out of his behind

What's the different between a contested and an uncontested mark?

Beau Wilkes is a gun at taking contested marks, but drops the uncontested ones.

What's the purpose of a ruckman?

Depends on who you ask. GT says there is no point in having a crap one.
Some wags think they're all about 'hit-outs to advantage'.
Everyone else, including all the premiership coaches, say that having a good one is vital come the finals.

What are some things that merit free kicks?

Changes week to week.

What about when a players gets a free right in front of the goal square?

They either kick it from inside the little box, or at right angles to it, depending on the whim of the official closest to the incident.

One more thing: What's Club Membership all about?

A means for Hawthorn to get people to sign their dogs up so as to artificially inflate their sens of their own popularity.....

---------------------

Anyone else what to have a go?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yes it is a fixture to make sure all clubs survive. Under previous administarations clubs have had to fold or merge. They try to make as much money from TV rights with the fixture now so clubs like us dont have to look at merging or folding. The bigger clubs get the best games because we get 23k to a Saturday afternoon at the G against another Victorian side.

The Craw
Club Player

Phosphorous Saints wrote:I'm still a new-comer so I still have to get the hang of the lingo and the way things work. Please forgive! :oops:
Try some nasal spray....

Not Craw, CRAW!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

here's a few questions for phosphorous .
what's so grand about the grand canyon ? if i want to visit a gigantic hole , adelaide is only 8 hrs drive away !
How many mexicans do you have working for you ?
Is there drought where you live ?
which is the better dale , scotts or glens ?
can you lend me $20 ?

In red white and black from 73
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: if i want to visit a gigantic hole , adelaide is only 8 hrs drive away !
Ricky Nixon didn't have to travel that far :wink:

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote: if i want to visit a gigantic hole , adelaide is only 8 hrs drive away !
To visit Darren Jarman's mouth?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I'll leave all the jokes to my fellow Sainters other than to respond to your question about what are some of the things that merit a free kick?

Good question-I wish we knew the answer. Each week the umpires change the rules on us all and you can be sitting next to an opposition supporter and they'll be yelling "BAAAAAAALLLLLL" and we'll be yelling "BAAAAAAAALLLLLL" and the umpire will pay "around the neck" when it was around the players ankles.

There is a body of former players called the Rules Committee and they make up the rules literally and sometimes even they don't understand the rules as they call the game on radio or television-very frustrating.

As for memberships, after talking to overseas vistors, I don't think we appreciate how cheap it is to go to a game. $21.30 for general admission (up in the nosebleeds), memberships start off with a basic access to all home games, or 16 gamer that gives you access to five away games.

As a member you can attend the Annual General meeting, vote on Life Membership nominations, get up and ask smart or dumb questions and know you are part of a group that "owns the club". No private ownership here. Supporters can sponsor players (no idea how much that costs) and there are various supporter groups that sponsor players and hold functions, such as The Angels who have get togethers throughout the year and help raise money for the club and a couple of charities.

I'm a reserved seat holder on Level 1 for our home games and a social club member which gives me access to Grand Final tickets when we make it. I can't even tell you how much it costs as I just make monthly payments spread out over the year.

The website www.saints.com.au will give you the cost of membership and I'm sure one of our members living overseas can tell you if there is an international membership.

Someone else can discuss the merits of ruckmen and the difference between contested and uncontested possessions and whether it counts towards a myriad of pointless statistics...

Chef attack
Club Player

stevie wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
To visit Darren Jarman's mouth?
:D

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Darren wrote:Schedule decided each year?
I think each club gives preferences to the AFL and they put it through a computer software that'll generate the draw. I don't know too much about the drawing.

Etihad and MCG home games?
Etihad is our home ground and so is the MCG. As we are one of the sport tenants at Etihad, that is why we play most of our games at that particular stadium.

Contested/Uncontested marking?
Contested marking is when you're next to your opponent and you try and push them away so you can mark it. Uncontested means you marked the ball easy without the opposition trying to defend you from marking.

Ruckmans?
Rucks are vital. Both rucks in each team want to tap the ball to our midfielders - if we are able to gather the ball quickly, we are able to move it forward. Examples:

Free kicks??
You can get a free kick for any type of illegal play, such as push in the back, high tackle (arms around neck), tripping, deliberate, and much more. You can also get a free kick (and possible 50 metre penalty) if the player takes too long to comply with the umpire's instructions. If a player get's a free kick in front of a goal square IN OUR FORWARD, we kick 10 metres out right in front. If a player gets a free kick in front of a goal square IN OUR DEFENCE, you're in trouble.

Club memberships help support the club in many ways. You are able to buy a membership just to support the club or you can buy membership with General Admission seating and membership with Reserved Seating. It's definitely worth it!

Hope I've answered your questions. :)

I wish all ruckmen tap to our midfielders