Trade target Ideas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bhtay1

Trade target Ideas

Couple of guys I think we should seriously look at given our holes in the team.

Tayte Pears: Seems to be on the outer at Essendon (have a lot of KP backs - Fletcher, Carlisle, Hooker) and is a big strong KP def that we've been sorely lacking. Is only 22 and had a great season in 09 for a second year KP plaer. Last 2 seasons were cruelled by injury which has depleted some of this value but i think if he can get his body in shape would be a great player that coud lock down our FB role for 8-10 years (my Essendon mates rate him quite highly). I have a personal opinion that he would be just the type of player Watters and Hudgton could turn into a star. Just look at Simpkins development this year. If we cant get him, I recon look at Carlisle and Hooker as well. I think a 2nd or 3rd round pick might be able secure him.

Shaun Hampson: We clearly need a second supporting ruckman, particularly with Stanley yet to prove his body can hold up. Blues have one ruckman too many and this guy has shown he is capable as both a fwd and ruck. Is 24 so is reasonably young for a ruck (Mumford was 24 when he left the Cats..) and I think would be worth it if we could snare him for a late 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Ben Reid: Obviously has the Watters connection and was a guy I wanted us to target assuming Cloke resigns and takes a heap of cash off the table. Seems more likely Cloke wont sign and the rest of the team will so this option is reduced a bit, but if we could find the cash and he hasnt signed by end of the year, a 23yo all australian CHB is always worth a look.

I'm reasonable comfortable with the midfield youth we're developing (steven, cripps, ledger, armo, newnes, dunnell, ross, markworth etc) and I recon our drafting should aim for key position players along with the above. I think we should only aim for players 24 years or younger (reasonable obvious why) and i recon the above can slot straight into our team right now allowing us to challenge for finals again next year and make our rebuilding transition for our next generation easier. Looking at an example like Sydney, trading well (Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Shaw etc) can have a huge impact on rebuilding your team.

Keen to hear everyones thoughts on the above? Don't think I've heard anyone mention the first 2 as potential trade targets recently..

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade target Ideas

G'day & welcome!

Yep, I don't mind most of those, maybe not Pears though if he is chronically injured - see jesse smith…

Also I don't think Collingwood would take less than a 1st round pick for Reid, Carlton would want at least a 2nd rounder for Hampson too. The bigger clubs don't seem to let players go unless the deal favours them more than other…

I think with our salary cap situation, we could only move a decent player in, if we sacrificed a decent player too. We might have to move someone like Gram with a pick to get someone like Hampson…

Also one ruckmen too many isn't really too many, I mean they tend drop like flies throughout the season, you need at least 3-4, which makes our solitary one see just insane.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

To be honest I don't rate Pears very highly. Just hasn't performed all that well and I'd easily have Simpkin ahead of him. We need a big bodied full back in the Glass/Rutten mould rather than another tallish kid who punches above his weight.

Hampson would be a handy pickup, but he wouldn't be in our best 22, so there's not a lot of incentive for him. He'd be better off heading to one of the expansion teams where he could be a regular for 6+ years rather than being backup at a different club.

Reid would be handy but I doubt we could afford him. He's not starved of opportunities, has elite, convenient facilities at his disposal and seems fairly happy at Collingwood. The only reason he would move would be money, and I think others have far more to offer than us.

We do need to find a ruck and a key defender but I don't think they'll have both talent and youth. More likely that we'd find fringe players looking for a change (Chaplin) or convince an old timer to hang around for another season or two ala Steven King/Ben Hudson. Alternatively the state leagues are becoming a popular option for teams to fill and immediate need.

With McEvoy and Stanley we have two ruck prospects who could form a good partnership for the next 7-8 years. We don't need to invest heaps of time, money and effort recruiting and developing young rucks, we just need a mature body or two who could play a role in case of injury. I think we're likely to snare a fringe player/reject ala Dawson for the backline to fill an immediate need as well as drafting a couple of tall prospects for the future.

bhtay1

Cheers, I've actually been on this forum before, just went away for a while and couldnt remember my old account so started a new one haha.

I think Pear's body is a bit better than Jesse Smiths was and this year, while he has had some minor issues so has everyone else at Essendon. New club might be the change he needs. I think, for a 3rd rounder he would be worth it, but I agree, with injuries prone players comes risks. But fair enough if you guys dont rate him, from what ive seen i recon he def has the stuff to make it in the AFL but seems i might be alone on that one! I also think looking at CArlisle/Hooker are worth considering.

Agreed Collingwood would want a 1st rounder which might be a bit much in a supposed super-draft, but when i guy of Reid's calibre comes up at his age, you have to take a serious look. he is out of contract so Collingwood wouldnt be in too much of a bargaining position i wouldnt think.. If they resign Cloke surely someone has to get squeezed out. This is probably a more realistic option if BJ doesnt resign..

I think we have about 7 or 8 of our players moving to the new veterans list (each worth $110k savings in the cap), and a couple of delistments/retirements (blake, polo, peake, clarke etc) we could prob fit in one reasonable player. BJ's contract obviousy plays a huge part in our list managementg

Yeah I agree 3 ruckman isnt exactly too many, but with Casboult showing signs, i recon one of Hampson or Warnock would def be interested in going to a club with a gauranteed spot every week.

footynut
Club Player

If we're serious about finding a ruckman we should look at Jarrod Witts from the pies. He is a big unit 209cm and 113kg, has plenty of talent and could possibily be a ruck options for the next 10 years. Allowing Stanley to play mainly as a forward.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bhtay1 wrote:Yeah I agree 3 ruckman isnt exactly too many, but with Casboult showing signs, i recon one of Hampson or Warnock would def be interested in going to a club with a gauranteed spot every week.
but do we actually have a guaranteed spot? the plan for next year for us would be:

first ruck: mcevoy
second ruck/third forward: stanley
second forward/third ruck: kosi/wilkes
first forward: riewoldt

so hampson would be competing with all of mcevoy, stanley and kosi for a spot - even wilkes could be competition. admittedly if there were injuries suddenly he'd be a shoe-in, but that's not a guarantee.

i'm not sure you could sell a mid-age player on the opportunities at the saints, because i think there's too great a chance of him playing 10 games at sandy. if he just went to footscray or melbourne he'd be pretty confident of playing 20 afl games next year, and they'll probably be seriously contending sooner than us.

so i reckon we've got two options. the first is pick up someone young who's got a few players in front of him: maybe jarrad redden, luke lowden, tom nicholls, jarrod witts, sam grimley, tom downie or ben mabon. but i have no idea if any of these guys are any good, except redden, and i can't see the power letting him go easily.

the second is to pick up an old guy as a backup, the matty clarke/steven king/damian monkhorst strategy. i wouldn't be unhappy with two years of david hille, for instance. there aren't many others who look a possibility though.

bhtay1

Yeah I was considering life after Kosi and Riewoldt for Hampson to come into the team (wouldnt be surprised if next year is the last for those 2 warriors..)

In regards to an older short term replacement, McIntosh from the kangaroos perhaps?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Tom Bellchambers and one of the Brown twins.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

There's an article on the afl wbsite about all teams potential for trades.

In the St.Kilda summary, I found this which is quite interesting, indeed:

Fantasy trade: Chaplin is likely to be sought after by a few teams but the Saints may be able to dangle a former Port Adelaide boy as bait for the Power. Terry Milera has been solid in his first year with the Saints but will find it hard to hold a permanent small-mid forward position. He has strong connections with the Port Magpies and a Milera for Chaplin trade could be ideal for both clubs.
- Luke Holmesby

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Tom Bellchambers and one of the Brown twins.
That wouldn't be bad IMO but we'd have to give up a lot for it to happen.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:There's an article on the afl wbsite about all teams potential for trades.

In the St.Kilda summary, I found this which is quite interesting, indeed:

Fantasy trade: Chaplin is likely to be sought after by a few teams but the Saints may be able to dangle a former Port Adelaide boy as bait for the Power. Terry Milera has been solid in his first year with the Saints but will find it hard to hold a permanent small-mid forward position. He has strong connections with the Port Magpies and a Milera for Chaplin trade could be ideal for both clubs.
- Luke Holmesby
No way Jose..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
jays
Club Player

yeh dont no about that

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

No need to sell the farm!

There is players out there that given the opportunity at the right time in their careers will blossom -

Joel TIPPET 24y/o 197 cm's 90 kgs
West Adelaide SANFL

Is apparently having a great year for Wests playing at full back maybe exactly what we need. Has had a taste of AFL being on the Lions & Suns rookie lists.
Younger of Brother of Adelaide Crows star – Kurt Tippett.

There is plenty of state league ruckmen about as well that would fill the void the SAINTS just have to get over the stereo typed recruit having to come through the TAC etc.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

bhtay1 wrote:Couple of guys I think we should seriously look at given our holes in the team.

Tayte Pears: Seems to be on the outer at Essendon (have a lot of KP backs - Fletcher, Carlisle, Hooker) and is a big strong KP def that we've been sorely lacking. Is only 22 and had a great season in 09 for a second year KP plaer. Last 2 seasons were cruelled by injury which has depleted some of this value but i think if he can get his body in shape would be a great player that coud lock down our FB role for 8-10 years (my Essendon mates rate him quite highly). I have a personal opinion that he would be just the type of player Watters and Hudgton could turn into a star. Just look at Simpkins development this year. If we cant get him, I recon look at Carlisle and Hooker as well. I think a 2nd or 3rd round pick might be able secure him.

Shaun Hampson: We clearly need a second supporting ruckman, particularly with Stanley yet to prove his body can hold up. Blues have one ruckman too many and this guy has shown he is capable as both a fwd and ruck. Is 24 so is reasonably young for a ruck (Mumford was 24 when he left the Cats..) and I think would be worth it if we could snare him for a late 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Ben Reid: Obviously has the Watters connection and was a guy I wanted us to target assuming Cloke resigns and takes a heap of cash off the table. Seems more likely Cloke wont sign and the rest of the team will so this option is reduced a bit, but if we could find the cash and he hasnt signed by end of the year, a 23yo all australian CHB is always worth a look.

I'm reasonable comfortable with the midfield youth we're developing (steven, cripps, ledger, armo, newnes, dunnell, ross, markworth etc) and I recon our drafting should aim for key position players along with the above. I think we should only aim for players 24 years or younger (reasonable obvious why) and i recon the above can slot straight into our team right now allowing us to challenge for finals again next year and make our rebuilding transition for our next generation easier. Looking at an example like Sydney, trading well (Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Shaw etc) can have a huge impact on rebuilding your team.

Keen to hear everyones thoughts on the above? Don't think I've heard anyone mention the first 2 as potential trade targets recently..
Ben Reid should be at St.Kilda anyway if the pigheadedness of Ross Lyon hadn't have got in the way.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

prwilkinson wrote:
Ben Reid should be at St.Kilda anyway if the pigheadedness of Ross Lyon hadn't have got in the way.
How do you figure that?

Reid was never on the table as an option for Ball.

He was drafted the spot before Armo.

Maybe your getting him confused with Wellingham & Goldsack (who were in the mix but not wanted).

Chef attack
Club Player

Cloke?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Chef attack wrote:Cloke?
Yuck no!

Chef attack
Club Player

Ralphy wrote:
Chef attack wrote:Cloke?
Yuck no!
Jason I meant! :D

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Watched Pears play in the backline for Bendigo close up when they played Port Melbourne. He is rubbish.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
rexy
SS Life Member

I rated Pears and agree he could be value at trade table, would also like to know status of Charlie Dixon and for some reason still believe Cale Morton and Matthew Bate could be league footballers! Cam Pederson is a Roo who was starved of opportunity this year and may be gettable?

Maybe this year?
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Surely there are better KPD players in this years draft than Pears. There seems to be quite a few large defenders available. Maybe we should concentrate on them. Lachlan Plowman, Tanner Smith, Alex Howson, Nick Rodda, Tom Clurey. Aidan Corr, Matt Wallis.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

rexy wrote:I rated Pears and agree he could be value at trade table, would also like to know status of Charlie Dixon and for some reason still believe Cale Morton and Matthew Bate could be league footballers! Cam Pederson is a Roo who was starved of opportunity this year and may be gettable?

Dixon just signed up for another few seasons I believe. Otherwise, he would have been an excellent player to target. Ticks a lot of boxes.

Would love to see us target Zac Clarke. His price will have dropped a bit since last year, yet he will still be hard to get.

I also wouldn't mind having a nibble at Kane Lucas. You can never have enough quality midfielders as they are the match-winners, and he could prove to be real value for money. If you said to him he will walk in and play 23 games, I reckon he'd at least have to think about it. He has loads of potential. Our first pick would probably need to be involved somehow though, so it might not be viable.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't have said this next suggestion going back 12months ago, but I seriously think Fevola should get another chance. He's a power forward! Deadly accurate in front of goal, and has the desire to turn a career around he knows he had literally ruined. He'd sign just about anything to get back in at AFL level. I could honestly see him in our colours, and kicking a bag.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
nobhead
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Surely there are better KPD players in this years draft than Pears. There seems to be quite a few large defenders available. Maybe we should concentrate on them. Lachlan Plowman, Tanner Smith, Alex Howson, Nick Rodda, Tom Clurey. Aidan Corr, Matt Wallis.
agree lets not keep making the same mistakes as previous years chasing after recycled players . go for young guys and lets develop them into league footballers .very rare that clubs let go of really good players imo.

rexy
SS Life Member

Would like to think that the seasons this year of the likes of Dempster, Richards, Kennedy, Shaw, Jacobs and Maric would encourage all clubs to go to the trade table with some imagination and courage. None of these guys were stars and are all potential AA this year IMO!

Maybe this year?