Why we must keep Goddard at St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Why we must keep Goddard at St Kilda

His year has been below his standards but people forget what an asset this guy is to the team - just think back a few years to his AA years. He is versatile enough to play forward, mid or defence. And can play key position if required. These type of players don't come around too often.

He is a star player in poor form. At just over 27 I'd say his best footy is still ahead of him.

All that aside, our star players are all in their late 20's or early 30's. Looking forward a few years we will be very short on in the experience department (at least among the elite players) unless we retain Goddard. We need to Goddard to usher in the next generation of players. He was part of the Riewoldt/Hayes generation, but he can lead the next generation.

I hope that St Kilda are doing everything they can to keep Goddard, I don't want to imagine a future without him at the club.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Why we must keep Goddard at St Kilda

Don't judge him on today, his knee is still a bit iffy after the North game. No doubt the injury he is carrying was a deciding factor not to contest his fortnight's suspension. He'll strip much fitter for the Bulldogs next Sunday,

Saint supporter since '62
slider
Club Player

I hope he walks out tomorrow, no exuces for this sook, what a crap artist hes turned out to be

citywest

I hear what your saying battye but in a competition that is ruled by a salary cap and a draft, St Kilda should do everything in their power to trade Goddard and get 2 top 10 draft picks. At 28 next year and with St kilda slowly heading south on the ladder, Goddard will be well and truly retired by the time the Saints are a power again.

Just have a look at Essendon. This is from memory. It was roughly 1998 when they made the top 8. Won the flag in 2000 and kept playing finals until 2003!!??? Since 2004 they have been rebuilding and only now in 2012 are they challenging again.

Then we look at Brisbane. After they played in 4 grand finals in a row they missed the finals in 2005 and now 7 years later they are knocking on the door again. Going by these 2 examples, after a sustained period in the top 8 (like the Saints have had), it most probably will take a minimum of 7 years before your back in the 8 again.

In 8 years time Goddard will be 35 and well and truly retired. That being the case, wouldn't it be better to trade him for say pick 10 and pick 18?

battye
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey was a key player in our ascendency to the top of the ladder between 2004 and 2008 (and ultimately beyond). Why was that? True he was still a star player right up to his last match, but how important was his presence? The experience he brought to the team was invaluable while the stars of today were growing as players.

As players, I'm not comparing Goddard to Harvey. But as far as experience goes the point remains. In 5 years time for example, how many guys from our grand final years will still be playing? There might be a few, but how many genuine guns will still be around? Only Goddard most likely. Just as Harvey's presence and experience brought a lot to the 2004-2008 team, Goddard's will as well irrespective of where we are on the ladder.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

citywest wrote:I hear what your saying battye but in a competition that is ruled by a salary cap and a draft, St Kilda should do everything in their power to trade Goddard and get 2 top 10 draft picks. At 28 next year and with St kilda slowly heading south on the ladder, Goddard will be well and truly retired by the time the Saints are a power again.

Just have a look at Essendon. This is from memory. It was roughly 1998 when they made the top 8. Won the flag in 2000 and kept playing finals until 2003!!??? Since 2004 they have been rebuilding and only now in 2012 are they challenging again.

Then we look at Brisbane. After they played in 4 grand finals in a row they missed the finals in 2005 and now 7 years later they are knocking on the door again. Going by these 2 examples, after a sustained period in the top 8 (like the Saints have had), it most probably will take a minimum of 7 years before your back in the 8 again.

In 8 years time Goddard will be 35 and well and truly retired. That being the case, wouldn't it be better to trade him for say pick 10 and pick 18?
I don't agree with your assessment of where we are at. Essendon and Brisbane made fatal mistakes at the draft table. They tried to keep topping up their list with recycled and older players without concentrating on youth. Still not convinced on the Essendon list to be honest but I am impressed with Brisbane and what they have coming through. Voss has worked hard to rectify the mistake he made in his first year at the draft table.

We have some great younger players coming through and still waiting in the wings. A few experienced players are getting closer to retirement, but we are slowly bringing up youth to cover them. I think that this year and last year will be our 'bad years' and we will continue to rise up the ladder again from next year onwards. Very 'Sydney' like. They never seem to bottom out. They continue to replenish their list with a balance of youth and recycled players.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He's a keeper.

I just hope his body is OK.

I never question his effort though, can't believe people do, he had a stinker today but goodness...the play conspired against him. He is just having an awful run, I don't think it's effort though.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

As long as we don't pay over the odds to re-sign him then he might be worth keeping.

he may end up sooking to Watters about letting him play as the loose man in defence
rather than being accountable for an opponent, something he is clearly not very good at.

Also, his clangers are more noticeable now than they used to be, and more costly....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D