Such a disappointing game and season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Such a disappointing game and season

This is easily the most disappointing loss since the 2010 grandfinal IMO.

Such is the season with so many lost opportunities.

We could be top 4 this year but another close loss has us fighting it out for 8th spot.

The umpires haven't helped but really with our domination in the second half we should have run over them. Instead we missed opportunity after opportunity.

noob
Club Player

Re: Such a disappointing game and season

Too many passengers

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

kicking skills woefull

Fortius Quo Fidelius
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Very frustrating, so similar to Adelaide and West Coast games, just couldn't match it for long enough. If we make the 8 we are nuisance value at best. It will be touch and go now.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

we have big holes in our defence atm... think there is an over focus on attack... kicking was also a mess today. not much mids clean clearence to open up fast attacks... maybe just SYD defence held us down.
Last edited by ShanghaiSaint on Sun 22 Jul 2012 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
battye
Saintsational Legend

Now that we are out of the eight I reckon it's touch and go as to whether we'll get back in it this season. :(

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The annoying thing is our best can mix it with the best and that's what's so frustrating. We've dropped a lot of winnable games against the best as well as the worst. That says we're lacking composure under pressure.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

You are judged by the close games you win.

In 09 and 10 we won many a game like this. We thought we played badly at the time, but it was the mark of a good team.

We just aren't up to the Haks or Swans, or WCE or Crows or any other bird that plays AFL unfortunately.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:You are judged by the close games you win.

In 09 and 10 we won many a game like this. We thought we played badly at the time, but it was the mark of a good team.

We just aren't up to the Haks or Swans, or WCE or Crows or any other bird that plays AFL unfortunately.
Very accurate post. We've hung tough, but it hasn't been enough

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

do agree joffa

we're not at that level... at times show some signs but in the hard ones we can't step up... here on in no expectations we will finish where we finish. watters needs to balance the team out more. atm the game plan is not 100% right.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

We desperately need 2 big bodied defenders and a quality ruckman plus a back up.

We just cant match it with sides like Hawthorn, Adelaide, Sydney and West Coast with the current 22 that we have. We are close to a great mix but the positions we are lacking are super important and will continue to cost us games until they are filled properly

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
battye
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:You are judged by the close games you win.

Spot on. Good teams find a way to win, and like you said - we thought they were bad performances at the time. But they were still wins.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We can only afford to lose one more game to make it, maybe two. Not sure what it means anyway.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
battye
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We can only afford to lose one more game to make it, maybe two. Not sure what it means anyway.
And we've still got Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton and probably one more that's eluding me. It's not going to be easy.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We can only afford to lose one more game to make it, maybe two. Not sure what it means anyway.
And we've still got Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton and probably one more that's eluding me. It's not going to be easy.
Melbourne, GWS and the Bulldogs 8-)

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

noob wrote:Too many passengers
Yep

This says it all

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I had us losing this game as well as the Pies game and winning the rest. If we do that we can get as high as 6th but really it means zilch because it won't give us an opportunity to really press come finals. That's why another close loss like this is so disappointing.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Grrrrrrrrrr...!

Virtually all day... they score a point and we can't get the thing outta' there, they score a point and away they go!!! :evil:

All day... couldn't buy a centre clearance. :shock:

Nearly all day... terrible delivery into the forward line. :roll:

Kosi... only there coz we have no other second ruck option, but he couldn't even break even with LRT...! and people rubbish Wilkes..., if Wilkes had half of Kosi's game time (and maybe an eyesight test) he'd be able to settle in and would offer us heaps more... could not possibly offer any less than Kosi. :(

BJ... tried a bit more in the last, but basically gave nothing all day... seems to be treading water till the new season and new team...? :?

Gram... elite pay demands elite effort... (Typical example... check the last quarter, 1 minute left to go, Swines free their side of the wing, Gram's running side-by-side with McVeigh, then he just stops running and stands on his own in no man's land, whilst McVeigh runs to the drop of the ball in their forward pocket...) :evil: :roll: :x :cry:

I know it's unlikely to happen, but...
Out: Kosi, Gram.
IN: Wilkes, Ledger or Ray.
On notice: BJ.

I'm now off to repair the hole in my plaster wall...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:This is easily the most disappointing loss since the 2010 grandfinal IMO.
The north game was right up there with that. don't want to bring up 2011 games a few shockers in there as well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We just aren't up to the Haks or Swans, or WCE or Crows or any other bird that plays AFL unfortunately.
Including Helen D'Amico.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Goal kicking is a skill. We just aren't good enough! Schneider and Rooey 7 behinds between them? Simply not up to standard!
It cost us the premiership in 2009! Kick straight for goal you tend to win! I just dont understand or care what the medicos say practice
the bloody goal kicking at training all the time or really what's the point of getting the thing down there time and time again???

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
kalsaint
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Very frustrating, so similar to Adelaide and West Coast games, just couldn't match it for long enough. If we make the 8 we are nuisance value at best. It will be touch and go now.

The only part of this I agree with is the frustrating bit.

Adelaide and Eagles both had our measure early and we really only git back into the game by increased effort. Effort was there today bar the second quarter and we basically dominated play over the second half bar the last 4 minutes (that was frustrating given we need to ensure percentage for us is favourable compared to other top 8 prospects).

The game today was lost opportunities due to poor kicking skills midfield and forwards.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Very frustrating, so similar to Adelaide and West Coast games, just couldn't match it for long enough. If we make the 8 we are nuisance value at best. It will be touch and go now.

The only part of this I agree with is the frustrating bit.

Adelaide and Eagles both had our measure early and we really only git back into the game by increased effort. Effort was there today bar the second quarter and we basically dominated play over the second half bar the last 4 minutes (that was frustrating given we need to ensure percentage for us is favourable compared to other top 8 prospects).

The game today was lost opportunities due to poor kicking skills midfield and forwards.
That is how Sydney play though, they soak up pressure and hurt teams on the rebound

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:This is easily the most disappointing loss since the 2010 grandfinal IMO.

Such is the season with so many lost opportunities.

We could be top 4 this year but another close loss has us fighting it out for 8th spot.

The umpires haven't helped but really with our domination in the second half we should have run over them. Instead we missed opportunity after opportunity.
Agreed there is something seriously wrong down at Seaford - the teams lack of effective systems really worries me!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
paddy
Club Player

too reliant on roo/kosi...

stanley is needed so badly, it just isn't funny....