Key Backs and Ruckmen - list management

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Key Backs and Ruckmen - list management

Seriously..... That's what we need...

Get aggressive, perhaps radical

And a Key Forward, going forward.....

Goddard gone..... Room in the cap... Possibly 500-600
Siposs, Dunnell...... Take up his spot

Reid will not be able to be paid his worth at Collingwood, GWS the main possibility there, but would he entertain a move to re-unite with Scotty and Max??
Chaplin is contemplating a return to Vic..... Carlisle out of favor....
Taste Pears not getting a game at Essendon...

A big trade required
With a number of HBF talls on the list..... Jack Ferguson in particular
Sam Gilbert to GC or GWS for a kid, or a draft pick
Caddy, Prestia, Gorringe or someone like that

Another trade also
Cripps or Ledger to Freo, Lyon overrates both.... Win the deal, want to get rid of niether, so hold bargaining power...

A Ruckman
If a Ruckman is not snared from a trade, look for a third wheel ruckman
Tom Bellchambers, Hamish McIntosh, Stefan Martin, Shaun Hampson, Zac Clarke, Jonathon Griffen, Majak Daw.... Or another...
And a 4th Ruckman
Kid or State league Ruckman

3 of the Rookie list deserve Promotion
Dunnell, Curran, Ferguson

Get TWO first rounders

Out (11)
Gilbert, Goddard, (ledger or cripps), Peake, Polo, Archer, Shenton, Milne, Blake, Winmar, Crocker
Would any of them be an irreplaceable loss?? Could we get plenty for the bigger losses and free cap space??

In (11)
Ruckman, Ruckman, Key Defender, Midfielder, Curran, Ferguson, Dunnell, Draft Picks * 3
Rookie Draft *3

Aggression, Radical

Maybe needed to roll it over??

Hayes, Kosi, Andreoli, Wilkes, Gram, Ray evaluated....

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Key Backs and Ruckmen - list management

Love your work bigmart they should have gone that way last year!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I reckon one more tilt was worth a shot....

Wasn't sure the benefit of Polo?? Maybe contracted??

Lever an unusual selection, but drafting over the last two seasons has been of the highest quality.... Even with the lack of talls drafted. The hit rate has been a big improvement on 2008-2009

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why did you pick two guys in the age group of which we have minimal players...to tip out?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Positionally they are expendable..... They will gain more than their worth....

GC or GWS would die for a half proven 194cm defender with a 100 games.... We have Simpkin, Gwilt, Ferguson, Dempster

Goddard will go, get the best deal possible...

Cripps and Ledger are both good Juniors, I think both are overrated.... Steven, Curran and Minchington really impress me. As players to relieve Joey/CJ eventually.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Seems foolish to me, that would leave an even bigger hole in our list age wise.

What happens when the veterans retire, who will be the older bracket then?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Out
One 28yo
One 26yo
One 21yo

In
One 24-30yo
One 22-24yo
One 20yo
One 18yo

Don't worry about age too much, we are too old as it is..... List balance is what we need.

defacto
Club Player

getting rid of cripps is silly. we'd be returning back to our old motto of delisting the kids as soon as we get them and replace them with another clubs rejects.

cant say i disagree with the rest

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i actually disagree with the big fella.
we arent going to land any gun players.
im happy with ben and rhys (injuries aside)
im happy with simpko and ferg developing down back
i think our big hole is going to be tall gun fwd with kosi and roo on their last legs and given it takes 3-5 years to get any good for a big key fwd (think the tomahawk) we need to be thinking that far ahead.

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Out
One 28yo
One 26yo
One 21yo

In
One 24-30yo
One 22-24yo
One 20yo
One 18yo

Don't worry about age too much, we are too old as it is..... List balance is what we need.
Disagree with this also. Kids all the way

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe Cripps has shown as much as people think. He's shown a bit, which is good for trade purposes but has performed best in pre-season.... Not sure he can play 4 quarters, and not sure he can find the footy regularly.

The longer he plays IMO the more he diminishes his value, ATM he is a pick 24 who has shown a bit, and has had development. So has worth.

Huge question marks on his durability, and ability. I think those will become more evident, the longer he plays

Ledger is a better player with the odd deficiency, but he and Steven are very similar.... And Joey.

But the biggest reason I would trade them is because their value seems to be higher than their worth.... Neither are proven, yet would land a good deal.... Particularly at Freo.... Ross loves to recruit others players.
Every player is traceable, if you win the trade.

Con...... Ben and Rhys are fine. What if Either or both get injured??

Defacto..... Do you consider Ahmed Saad a kid??

bakes
Club Player

Very good post, I agree with most of it and I like it.
I would keep Milne for 1 more year so that he can take the heat off Saad and Milera while they learn their craft.
Perhaps Milne could play a McDonald GWS mentor role.

Also, I like the idea of poaching Reid from Collingwood.
I also like the idea of trading away Cripps, but only if we can get something decent for it.

Just reckon you have also forgot to mention Raph Clarke in the evaluation section.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW- I would only trade 1 of them.....

We need to position well in the draft or fill massive gaps we have.

Goddard is a restricted free agent, does that mean we get compensation from the AFL or club?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Raph - most likely gone.

If Gilbert was traded, Polo, Winmar and Peake delisted.... Raph might be a required player, but I doubt it

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Before we can go in with this plan, we have to look at the draft and see which young players will be around at our picks

Currently there is only 1 True Ruckman worth taking in the first round (Brodie Grundy)

Quality Kpp's will be very hard to find this year maybe 4-5 in the first round (Plowman, Jacksch, Shaw, Daniher, Smith)

And obviously there is always high end Mids, some of which will definitely be there at our first pick

I'm not sure if the recruiters will have the guts to take a much needed Kpp with our first pick, due to the risk on missing out on much better Midfield talent

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't believe Cripps has shown as much as people think. He's shown a bit, which is good for trade purposes but has performed best in pre-season.... Not sure he can play 4 quarters, and not sure he can find the footy regularly.

The longer he plays IMO the more he diminishes his value, ATM he is a pick 24 who has shown a bit, and has had development. So has worth.

Huge question marks on his durability, and ability. I think those will become more evident, the longer he plays

Ledger is a better player with the odd deficiency, but he and Steven are very similar.... And Joey.

But the biggest reason I would trade them is because their value seems to be higher than their worth.... Neither are proven, yet would land a good deal.... Particularly at Freo.... Ross loves to recruit others players.
Every player is traceable, if you win the trade.

Con...... Ben and Rhys are fine. What if Either or both get injured??

Defacto..... Do you consider Ahmed Saad a kid??

How do you know either of their values. You assumptions on most things are amazing. Is your real nam Harry Ho? Today I have learnt you know players heights, you know money isnt an issue for a player and now this. Anyway those 2 players have had 2 years so lets send them packing. They may be worth nothing, sorry know they are over valued so Freo will want them as Rl rates both. Another assumption but that was in yesterdays assumptions.

I think we keep 2 year players that arent going to get a lot anyway and I also think we keep Bj if we can.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Cripps is a worry. Maybe he will have the tank next year but doesn't seem to this year.

Also - how well he manages his diabetes is a big issue.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Cripps is a worry. Maybe he will have the tank next year but doesn't seem to this year.

Also - how well he manages his diabetes is a big issue.

Pretty sure his diabetes is completely under control. Give the guy time.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We are here to assume, predict, hypothesize and debate yeah, Don't like it.... Put your neck on the line
Hang on, I'll do it for you
In Scott we trust

Cripps
He needs to get a kick.... Or more than just a couple, at any level. Sorry... Seen him play, the more I see him, the more I don't rate him....

He runs hard fwd, and sometimes gets on the end of something.... After that he blows up. He doesn't instinctively put his head over it, and can't get through a quarter (or a contest for that matter) without needing a trainers assistance. He trains well, but in a contest he is found wanting IMO.

Ledger, can play.... Is his type expendable..... Yes.... We need to turn the list over, and fill some holes... Only one way to do it

If we have no GOOD trade for either kid..... Don't do one......they will still develop
I know Ross rates both of them highly, it was evident last year....

If we don't make the 8 with the list we've got
Just keep on keeping on and hope the kids, can accelerate and 30+ year olds continue to play top footy... Good plan.

News.... This current side will NOT win a premiership.... So I am not interested in seeing it go around again next year

What's height go to do with it??
oh, the other thread that is irrelevant to this one.....
Most of the players I've stood next to, not hard to get a gauge from a metre away..... I'm 183..... Just see how much height they have on me and make a pretty fair prediction
Did you disagree with my calls.......Arryn I have seen two or three times over the last month, looks about 6'2" to me

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We are here to assume, predict, hypothesize and debate yeah, Don't like it.... Put your neck on the line
Hang on, I'll do it for you
In Scott we trust

Cripps
He needs to get a kick.... Or more than just a couple, at any level. Sorry... Seen him play, the more I see him, the more I don't rate him....

He runs hard fwd, and sometimes gets on the end of something.... After that he blows up. He doesn't instinctively put his head over it, and can't get through a quarter (or a contest for that matter) without needing a trainers assistance. He trains well, but in a contest he is found wanting IMO.

Ledger, can play.... Is his type expendable..... Yes.... We need to turn the list over, and fill some holes... Only one way to do it

If we have no GOOD trade for either kid..... Don't do one......they will still develop
I know Ross rates both of them highly, it was evident last year....

If we don't make the 8 with the list we've got
Just keep on keeping on and hope the kids, can accelerate and 30+ year olds continue to play top footy... Good plan.

News.... This current side will NOT win a premiership.... So I am not interested in seeing it go around again next year

What's height go to do with it??
oh, the other thread that is irrelevant to this one.....
Most of the players I've stood next to, not hard to get a gauge from a metre away..... I'm 183..... Just see how much height they have on me and make a pretty fair prediction
Did you disagree with my calls.......Arryn I have seen two or three times over the last month, looks about 6'2" to me

You can assume a lot of things but you state things that are your opinions as facts. The height thing was stated pretty much as fact that Blake, Baker and Mini werent the height mentioned. I wouldnt have a clue of Siposs height this year as I have only seen him on a footy ground. I to have stood next to the other players and I reckon the heights mentioned for those players could easily be correct. i certainly arent going to say they are wrong.

And you dont know RL rates both highly. You are guessing that. it may well be correct. And you dont know money isnt an issue for Lenny but you stated it as fact.

And when do i say in Scott we trust. You get this wrong all the time. I just say we dont have the knowledge the coaches have in selection. Anyone who argues otherwise is just talking crap. I have said many times this year that Scott has our attacking game working well but the defence has been overlooked.

By the way just about any player is tradable for the right trade. i just happen to think 2 year players deserve more unless they want to go home. That is completely different. i am unsure Ledger or Cripps would get us anything of value. Surely your not one of these supporters who think you can trade a spec of dust for a diamond.

SMS
Club Player

Lycett and Hurn for goddard who then deal to freo for 2 first round picks. Done. We win the 2013 flag. ;)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Question...

If we got a ruckman... does anyone think that McEvoy could be a KP backman?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seriously..... That's what we need...

Get aggressive, perhaps radical

And a Key Forward, going forward.....

Goddard gone..... Room in the cap... Possibly 500-600
Siposs, Dunnell...... Take up his spot

Reid will not be able to be paid his worth at Collingwood, GWS the main possibility there, but would he entertain a move to re-unite with Scotty and Max??
Chaplin is contemplating a return to Vic..... Carlisle out of favor....
Taste Pears not getting a game at Essendon...

A big trade required
With a number of HBF talls on the list..... Jack Ferguson in particular
Sam Gilbert to GC or GWS for a kid, or a draft pick
Caddy, Prestia, Gorringe or someone like that

Another trade also
Cripps or Ledger to Freo, Lyon overrates both.... Win the deal, want to get rid of niether, so hold bargaining power...

A Ruckman
If a Ruckman is not snared from a trade, look for a third wheel ruckman
Tom Bellchambers, Hamish McIntosh, Stefan Martin, Shaun Hampson, Zac Clarke, Jonathon Griffen, Majak Daw.... Or another...
And a 4th Ruckman
Kid or State league Ruckman

3 of the Rookie list deserve Promotion
Dunnell, Curran, Ferguson

Get TWO first rounders

Out (11)
Gilbert, Goddard, (ledger or cripps), Peake, Polo, Archer, Shenton, Milne, Blake, Winmar, Crocker
Would any of them be an irreplaceable loss?? Could we get plenty for the bigger losses and free cap space??

In (11)
Ruckman, Ruckman, Key Defender, Midfielder, Curran, Ferguson, Dunnell, Draft Picks * 3
Rookie Draft *3

Aggression, Radical

Maybe needed to roll it over??

Hayes, Kosi, Andreoli, Wilkes, Gram, Ray evaluated....
Agree with that lot....Like to see it happen

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
hayes66
Club Player

Very good overall analyse. The player I have trouble assessing is Gilbert. I know it was two/ three years ago but in 09 and to a lesser extent 010, I thought is was nearly elite in the way he played. In one of the best games, I have seen, the 09 clash v Geelong, Gilbert was outstanding. I think Sam is the type of player if you traded could burn you. So, I woulsn't trade a 6-' 3", athletic player. Too hard to find and replace.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So Plugger, let me get this straight

I gave my thoughts on a few things I would possibly do going fwd... None of these things will probably happen, and they are forecasted hypotheticals

But

I stated them as FACT!!!!!

Saying Ross liked Tom and Jamie...... Gee, going out on a limb there....