James Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

James Gwilt

I didn't see him on the ground at the end after being subbed. Any injury concerns?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: James Gwilt

Didn't see much of Gwilt tonight.

I was trying to work out who was subbed off. Did Channel 7 even mention it? They made a big deal of the Essendon sub.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Moods
Saintsational Legend

They said on MMM on the way home that there were nil injury concerns for the saints. Must have just been taken off to give Ray a run.

bennymac5
Club Player

Hurley was off at that stage I think so it was a good opportunity to give Gwilt a rest whilst giving Farren a go as well.

rexy
SS Life Member

Just a match up sub, Hurley dubbed off and they went smaller, hopefully he would have been straight into cool down and recovery!

Maybe this year?
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

No injury to speak of, SW said in presser it was just an opportunity to give him a rest while he still builds his fitness base after coming back from the knee, plus he was keen to give Farren a go. And let's be honest he was having a bit of a crap game.

What did we think of Faz when he came on? Thought he showed something.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:No injury to speak of, SW said in presser it was just an opportunity to give him a rest while he still builds his fitness base after coming back from the knee, plus he was keen to give Farren a go. And let's be honest he was having a bit of a crap game.

Good news about James. Yes, and on Farren, he showed what he is good at - taking contested marks and kicking to position (with either foot). For the last three years it has been too much "team play" with backward, sideways, upways handball. Why is it that our team needs to have their backs to the wall until they resort to the one thing that they know that works - kicking it long and quickly to the forward line. Forget the cute passes to Nick's feet. Just long and quick to the spot twenty metres out directly in front. It won't work for most clubs, but it does for us in most games.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:They said on MMM on the way home that there were nil injury concerns for the saints. Must have just been taken off to give Ray a run.
Ball never got down there so he decided to sit the rest of the game out ;)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

love Gwilt now a veteran! scored a couple of goals as a young half forward against Port Adelaide in 2004 finals campaign lol!

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
defacto
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:No injury to speak of, SW said in presser it was just an opportunity to give him a rest while he still builds his fitness base after coming back from the knee, plus he was keen to give Farren a go. And let's be honest he was having a bit of a crap game.

i thought gwilt was having a great game.

thought ray was great when he came on. just has this drive to succeed. offers more than gram tbh

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

As long as you ignored his kicking.
Gwilt pre-knee was a long and accurate kick. A beautiful kick.

At present he is just long...and struggles to kick to advantage. some of his kicks were really soft turnovers.

I am hoping that he rediscovers his precision as we will need it against the best teams.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
defacto wrote:

As long as you ignored his kicking.
Gwilt pre-knee was a long and accurate kick. A beautiful kick.

At present he is just long...and struggles to kick to advantage. some of his kicks were really soft turnovers.

I am hoping that he rediscovers his precision as we will need it against the best teams.

I reckon his kicking problems started last year. I certainly pointed out in a few threads that his kicking had gone off. Some people agreed and certainly some didnt but I still say his kicking wasnt as good last year as previous years.

Legendary
Club Player

Gwilt will be like Dempster.

Dempster's first year back after a knee was terrible. He lost his kicking skill, lost pace and generally was in poor form.

However his 2nd year back was excellent, and he rediscovered his speed, fitness and excellent kicking skills.

Most blokes take 12 months to get over a knee. Lenny is a freak.

defacto
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Gwilt will be like Dempster.

Dempster's first year back after a knee was terrible. He lost his kicking skill, lost pace and generally was in poor form.

However his 2nd year back was excellent, and he rediscovered his speed, fitness and excellent kicking skills.

Most blokes take 12 months to get over a knee. Lenny is a freak.
great post!!! i agree

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I thought James was alright. It was Sam Fisher who as having a dog of a game in the first half, but eventually found range with his kicks after half time. Then again, release of pressure can do that. When evaluating a player, I look at the contests that they should win, and score them accordingly, and then look at disposal. We were lucky that about three or four of our bad turnovers only finished up costing us points and not goals. Overall in the game, we, unusually, had a higher luck quotient than our opposition. The classic example of that was Adam's goal in the final quarter - a snap while still turning - blind - from 30 out. He smiled, no doubt with those misses from ten out from a couple of years ago, still in the back of his mind.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:love Gwilt now a veteran! scored a couple of goals as a young half forward against Port Adelaide in 2004 finals campaign lol!
Almost. 2005 against Adelaide as a wingman.