Here's how I see it (briefly):

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Here's how I see it (briefly):

* Watters is doing a good job, to a point. Off-field great, on-field TBC.

* He stuffed up over the break - he lost confidence in our all-out-attack game-plan. It was as plain as day to me that Watters changed things up and instructed a slower game tonight. This did not work.

* Bj is acting strange. But I think he'll stay.

* McEvoy is great around the ground but just terrible in the centre square ruck and we need to face up to this. We get slaughtered when he is in there.

* Raph Clarke is only improving and I can't wait to see what he is playing like next year (serious).

* Gram must be replaced, he is just not the sort of player we need moving forward. If we were the Harlem Globetrotters - maybe - but we ain't and Grammy, see ya later. Bring on any of the backups.

* Kosi is in serious danger, he gives us no run - JK needs to find some form again fast. He's keeping Siposs out of that team, and although it's a given he's giving our FWD defence nothing, he's also not taking any marks.

* The new boys (Saad Milera etc) need confidence/game-time/composure. Their head-space is still weird and adjusting. But they have to continue to evolve.

* Stanley is going to be a huge player.

* I'm not a fan of the dandy Scott Norf coach. He's a narky dandy prick.

* Just general awareness. I can't remember a dumber game than we played tonight in recent history.

* Gwilt hit form. They should have passed it to him more.

* Dumb decisions. There were a handful that knew what to do.... hated seeing certain players getting sucked in too (Milne, BJ). Just stupid footy.

* There's a few smart users in the 2's who are in line and just quietly, if you're gonna go a slower ball movement policy from here on Scotty W it might pay dividends to have CJ in your team. Fair enough if we're setting a new trend in fast accurate outside ball movement, as per Richmond etc - but tonight was not that. We couldn't even win it.

That's all.

BTW best Saint's player tonight in a losing battle no surprise - Captain Nick Riewoldt.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Here's how I see it (briefly):

On McEvoy, I'm a fan. He's a beautiful mark and a very smart footbaaler, but I reckon he has a timing issue at centre bounces. Seems to leap too early nd give his opponent a stp ladder at times.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Good post. Don't agree on Clarke but the rest are good observations.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Here's how I see it: Goddard's mind is on where he might be next season and not playing for his mates at the moment. Milne and Kosi for experienced players, are not doing enough to hold their place. The defensive work of the midfield is a big let-down and is killing us. Steven will improve over the next few seasons as will Stanley. The club needs to do some serious recruiting to develop key-position players. Keep persisting with younger players..Siposs, Newnes etc. This is probably now hard-decision time for Watters and the club with list management.

wallbanger
Club Player

Good post, I agree with almost all (except for the Raph Clarke issue - will never be any good. Ever.) to the very last two words - Lenny was our best player tonight IMO, carried the midfield on his own with NO HELP from any of the others who rotated in there, other than Big Mc.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is a huge concern...........if you are a ruckman who cant influence centre square hit outs ....arent you just a big lumbering ruck rover round ground?

do we need that?

I thought we looked best when Stanley went in there tbh - he at least got his hand to the footy...

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is how I see it:

The most damming stat with this team is that they have now lost to Fremantle, Richmond, and now North who are all struggling to make the eight. We also lost to Port.

We are not even pretenders, let alone contenders with that form line.

The beautiful thing is that last night is history and they now have an opportunity to respond on Saturday. Let’s see how they go.

PS: I’m not very optimistic. Bombers could really open us up and score 150 points plus with the way we are playing.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
defacto
Club Player

Quixote wrote:* Watters is doing a good job, to a point. Off-field great, on-field TBC.

* He stuffed up over the break - he lost confidence in our all-out-attack game-plan. It was as plain as day to me that Watters changed things up and instructed a slower game tonight. This did not work.

* McEvoy is great around the ground but just terrible in the centre square ruck and we need to face up to this. We get slaughtered when he is in there.

* Raph Clarke is only improving and I can't wait to see what he is playing like next year (serious).

* Gram must be replaced, he is just not the sort of player we need moving forward. If we were the Harlem Globetrotters - maybe - but we ain't and Grammy, see ya later. Bring on any of the backups.

* Kosi is in serious danger, he gives us no run - JK needs to find some form again fast. He's keeping Siposs out of that team, and although it's a given he's giving our FWD defence nothing, he's also not taking any marks.

* The new boys (Saad Milera etc) need confidence/game-time/composure. Their head-space is still weird and adjusting. But they have to continue to evolve.

* Just general awareness. I can't remember a dumber game than we played tonight in recent history.

* Dumb decisions. There were a handful that knew what to do.... hated seeing certain players getting sucked in too (Milne, BJ). Just stupid footy.

* There's a few smart users in the 2's who are in line and just quietly, if you're gonna go a slower ball movement policy from here on Scotty W it might pay dividends to have CJ in your team. Fair enough if we're setting a new trend in fast accurate outside ball movement, as per Richmond etc - but tonight was not that. We couldn't even win it.

That's all.

BTW best Saint's player tonight in a losing battle no surprise - Captain Nick Riewoldt.
summed up perfectly. absolutely spot on with your observations. i thougth armo was also good tonight

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

defacto wrote:
Quixote wrote:* Watters is doing a good job, to a point. Off-field great, on-field TBC.

That's all.

summed up perfectly. absolutely spot on with your observations. i thougth armo was also good tonight
Really great post Q!
  • - I reckon you nailed it re Ahmed, Tezza, Rhys Lightning and yes, Raph (shock horror to some).
    - I think BJ is leaving though. Not playing with the passion of the past, and has.not.signed.yet. I suspect that although he'd prefer to stay, he wants more $$$ than the saintas are prepared to pay. I say, hold the line saintas, and if need be take the draft pick/s and salary cap space.
    - I agree with Defacto re Armo'.
    - Jimmy is improving, but I think is still some way off his best.
    - I didn't understand your last statement re Nick R though...? Could you elaborate on that one?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: