Are we going to promote a rookie?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Are we going to promote a rookie?

Are we going to promote a rookie mid-season? I notice the Bulldogs already have. If we are, who is it going to be and when is it going to happen? This is the time when it can be done. Or are our salary cap restraints going to stop us?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Are we going to promote a rookie?

borderbarry wrote:Are we going to promote a rookie mid-season? I notice the Bulldogs already have. If we are, who is it going to be and when is it going to happen? This is the time when it can be done. Or are our salary cap restraints going to stop us?
What do we need?

Who can at least attempt to fill this need?

Who has been playing well enough to be given an opportunity?

simple questions

defacto
Club Player

comes down to curren, ferguson, dunnell from what ive read. i reckon ferguson would be the smartest option.

dunnell: we have milera, saad, schneider, milne competing for three spots.
curren: gears, dempster
ferguson: lacking tall options and would allow us to rotate. give him a shot and see if he's up to it yet.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Only worth promoting a rookie if they will get a senior game. Simpkin dropped so Ferguson would be at least 2 injuries or suspensions to a defender away from getting a game. Ledger unable to get a go so where does that put Curren?

hAyES
Club Player

Watters said in an SEN interview Simpkin was rested. Curren would be a chance just to see how he went, and Ferguson would be elevated if we got desperate. Not sure he's AFL ready yet though.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If we have a 196 cm gun key back or a 206cm gun ruckman on the Rookie list then promote them.
Otherwise, what value will we get promoting one of the others besides seeing how they perform in the big League...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
defacto
Club Player

hAyES wrote:Watters said in an SEN interview Simpkin was rested. Curren would be a chance just to see how he went, and Ferguson would be elevated if we got desperate. Not sure he's AFL ready yet though.
Old Mate wrote:Only worth promoting a rookie if they will get a senior game. Simpkin dropped so Ferguson would be at least 2 injuries or suspensions to a defender away from getting a game. Ledger unable to get a go so where does that put Curren?
good point. so curren looks like the one whos closest to afl ready that we can slot into the side? has he been playing in the midfield?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

defacto wrote:
hAyES wrote:Watters said in an SEN interview Simpkin was rested. Curren would be a chance just to see how he went, and Ferguson would be elevated if we got desperate. Not sure he's AFL ready yet though.
Old Mate wrote:Only worth promoting a rookie if they will get a senior game. Simpkin dropped so Ferguson would be at least 2 injuries or suspensions to a defender away from getting a game. Ledger unable to get a go so where does that put Curren?
good point. so curren looks like the one whos closest to afl ready that we can slot into the side? has he been playing in the midfield?
Dunnell is the most AFL ready of all our rookies, but he would be a direct replacement for either Sippa or Milera

villasaint
Club Player

Dunell for me they should try him as a back pockets for bit more in the vfl, then promote him. All the kids who have been given a go have impressed. We need to take more risks with youth.

Ross who?
Club Player

No use in promoting a rookie just because we can. It does cost extra. Why pay out cash if they are not going too play.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
St Lenny
Club Player

Pretty sure you have to have a long term injury to promote a rookie.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:If we have a 196 cm gun key back or a 206cm gun ruckman on the Rookie list then promote them.
Otherwise, what value will we get promoting one of the others besides seeing how they perform in the big League...
Jackson Ferguson is pretty close at 194cm. Maybe he can wear lifts or platform boots to get that extra 2cm you're looking for.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Pretty sure you have to have a long term injury to promote a rookie.

depends if you have a spot open on your main list, I dunno if the saints do or not,

BTW as said above no point in elevating a rookie unless they are going to play that week.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Ferguson is a running defender ala Gilbert and Clarke. Not going to shut down power forwards.

Curren would only be a chance if we lost two inside midfielders. Dunnell has to get in front of Siposs to be considered. Might be smart to play him off half back at Sandy in the Gram role to see if he could slot in there.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

St Lenny wrote:Pretty sure you have to have a long term injury to promote a rookie.
From now until end of season every club can promote a nominated rookie without placing anyone on LTI List.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I tried to argue that MSG

P66 told me I was wrong....

Even though his body size and style of play clearly point to a Sam Gilbert or Grant Birchill type Utility tall defender... Definitely not a Key Back

We argued about Genetics, Physiology, Biomechanics.... Even though the evidence suggest you and I seem to see things accurately there..

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
bobmurray wrote:If we have a 196 cm gun key back or a 206cm gun ruckman on the Rookie list then promote them.
Jackson Ferguson is pretty close at 194cm. Maybe he can wear lifts or platform boots to get that extra 2cm you're looking for.
Is Ferguson going to shut down power forwards or is he going to be better suited to playing on the third tall, will he be used to provide run out of defence,
will he cut the mustard, will he break the trend of NSW scholarship selections and actually make the list and stay on it....

We still need a gun 196cm Key back....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I tried to argue that MSG

Even though his body size and style of play clearly point to a Sam Gilbert or Grant Birchill type Utility tall defender... Definitely not a Key Back

We argued about Genetics, Physiology, Biomechanics.... Even though the evidence suggest you and I seem to see things accurately there..

Do you read what people write or just make it up. I said he was 19 amd could still get bigger. You wrote him off already as a KPP even though he is only 19. Surely you would thought the same about Max when we first drafted him and he ended up being our FB. Now stop making things up and stop deciding peoples future after less than 2 years of footy. And you pretend you know the game. Pfft.

Southern Moss

If we promote a rookie now, we would definitely choose Ferguson, with no disrespect to anyone else (either to the other rookies or to the people who disagree). Given that finals are still possible, we need to consider which rookie may play if injuries were rife. So, we need to consider which injuries are hard to cover. For example, suppose we lost:

- 2 tall forwards: Wilkes would be selected and the remaining tall forward would be enough. None of the rookies would be applicable anyway.

- 2 small forwards: We could probably cover them with our current squad. Players like Schneider and Milera would just play forward. Shenton, Minchington, or Dunell, the most likely replacements, would not be needed.

- 2 small outside mid fielders: We would struggle anyway. Ray and Cripps would definitely be included in the squad. Our young small forwards would often play up the ground. None of the rookies are quite suited to this role above these players.

- 2 small inside mid fielders: We could probably cover. Polo may be selected, and even Ledger may be granted a game. But again, the rookies would not be needed.

- 2 defensive smalls: We could probably cover with our existing players. Our midfielders could share this role. Our taller backs can play small as well. Curren is unlikely to be needed.

- 2 defensive talls: Here is where we struggle. Taller, attacking players, like Fisher, Gwilt and Gilbert, would need to assume this role, which does not utilize their skills. Here is where Ferguson is a possibility. Although his one to one spoiling is not yet developed completely, our existing players are not especially strong here either.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

doggies promoted a rookie cause of a long term injury to dale morris we can upgrade a rookie after this round i think other than that only a long term injury can bring one in

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
PJ
SS Life Member

To be pretty frank if we do happen to make the finals I don't think Ferg is an option. Our defence would not hold up with a rookie - no disrespect to Ferg. I'd love to see how he goes about it but.....

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

....lol.... :lol: ...if plugger told you that then most certainly you are right..

but......do what i did......put all the dropkicks on your ignore list ...makes life so much more pleasant......

...i don't have to read their negative baiting crap anymore

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

....lol.... :lol: ...if plugger told you that then most certainly you are right..

but......do what i did......put all the dropkicks on your ignore list ...makes life so much more pleasant......

...i don't have to read their negative baiting crap anymore

Wow i am on your ignore list. That hurts. If you are putting all the dropkicks on your ignore list you will obviously be ignoring yourself. Whilst you were gone did you catch up on cleaning all the law courts. I notice they do look cleaner. How is Travis Clokes uncle going by the way? Hilarious.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nice retort p66

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah its pretty much not even funny anymore is it
same jokes from a year ago

no new material at all

sad really

yeah i reckon we'll promote someone