How many goals has Milney kicked?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

How many goals has Milney kicked?

With his left foot?

It's embarrasing.....

Here I am trying to impress my 12yo grandson with the importance of being two-footed in todays game, and he points to Milney as being the best example of a single footed player.

All this argument came about as I pointed out to him how Blake was forced on to his left foot against the Suns in the last quarter and sprayed it out of bounds. Grandson's argument was that he could have baulked and come around on his right foot.

So... has anybody got any memory or footage of a left-footed milney goal? And do you need to kick with both feet in todays football?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Calais
Club Player

Re: How many goals has Milney kicked?

Seen him kick on his left numerous times.

Even for a 'One sided player' I think he's done alright for himself.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:With his left foot?

It's embarrasing.....

Here I am trying to impress my 12yo grandson with the importance of being two-footed in todays game, and he points to Milney as being the best example of a single footed player.

All this argument came about as I pointed out to him how Blake was forced on to his left foot against the Suns in the last quarter and sprayed it out of bounds. Grandson's argument was that he could have baulked and come around on his right foot.

So... has anybody got any memory or footage of a left-footed milney goal? And do you need to kick with both feet in todays football?
Whilst desirable, players cannot be proficient at literally every facet of the game. Look at you and your work, are you proficient and highly skilled in literally every facet? Probably not, does this impact on your work? Probably not.

Milne has made it work as he is really quick. I hope Saad follows suit if he cannot develop an accurate left-side. Both are quick, slippery and clever, so no reason why they cannot make it work.

rexy
SS Life Member

Find some footage of Plugger on the left, nearly as good a set shot with both feet. Still an important thing to teach young kids IMO, still very important in the modern game!

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Overated the use of your left unless you are nearly as good as your right. Hird never used his left. He went OK. Obviously if you are like Mitchell or Ablett senior it is great but if you are ordinary better to try and get on your right or banana it.

Superstar
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:With his left foot?

It's embarrasing.....

Whilst desirable, players cannot be proficient at literally every facet of the game. Look at you and your work, are you proficient and highly skilled in literally every facet? Probably not, does this impact on your work? Probably not.

Milne has made it work as he is really quick. I hope Saad follows suit if he cannot develop an accurate left-side. Both are quick, slippery and clever, so no reason why they cannot make it work.
rexy wrote:Find some footage of Plugger on the left, nearly as good a set shot with both feet. Still an important thing to teach young kids IMO, still very important in the modern game!
plugger66 wrote:Overated the use of your left unless you are nearly as good as your right. Hird never used his left. He went OK. Obviously if you are like Mitchell or Ablett senior it is great but if you are ordinary better to try and get on your right or banana it.

Don't reckon many blokes can kick both feet these days, even some of the elite players are single sided. How many guys try the impossible right footed bananna on the run instead of getting on the left.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Milney has kicked 512 goals so what's the issue?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Akermanis was probably the most recent player to use both feet well.

A lot of players even opt for the outside of the right foot for field kicking, even if its just a 20m pass. I practiced left foot kicking growing up but never really mastered it before I stopped playing, but then again I was never at a high level.

I actually think players never practice it because until you can make the kick effortlessly and accurately you will make mistakes. If thats in a game it can cost you a lot, players would prefer to make the shot with a banana than spray it with the other. Especially if they are trying to move up the ranks of reserves and once they reach AFL it's not the time or place to start using an unproven method. Basically unless it's learnt from the start or a player spends an entire off season practicing they are not going to use it.

Beekay
SS Life Member

milne has kicked many left foot snap goals at full speed. effortlessly.

even off the mark when on tight angles.

we been watching the same player?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Of the top fifty goal kickers of all time, of which Stephen Milne is number 49, I would say, having watched forty of the rest play, only three players would have a higher percentage of non preferred goals than Stephen. They are, Gary Ablett, Peter Daicos and (perhaps) Leigh Matthews. Stephen's ability to snap from twenty on both feet is one of the main reasons he is in the top 50.

If you want to pick on something that Stephen actually hasn't been able to do, look at his inability to take a speccy from behind. Also, I have never seen him kick a goal from 90 metres out, nor has he ever dodged fifteen players to snap truly. I can't remember him ever kicking in the ball from a point, to himself, and running all the way down the ground to score. Let's face it, he just isn't good enough.

Rosco
Club Player

I think I saw him dodge 15 once. But not all 22.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Overated the use of your left unless you are nearly as good as your right. Hird never used his left. He went OK. Obviously if you are like Mitchell or Ablett senior it is great but if you are ordinary better to try and get on your right or banana it.
This.

Milney is a master of the bender from the boundary - he has kicked so many ridiculous goals like that.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

Tell your grandson to actually watch Milne I'd say at a guess about 150 - 200 of his goals have been in his left foot! He is great on his opposite as is rooey with the left foot snap

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

56 goals last year.

One was on the left foot.

Very unlikely that he has scored 150 - 200 on his left.

Number 13 was on the left foot.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Trixilver
Club Player

Why snap with your left when you can kick'em like this with your right?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6YLGk3doHY

I have seen him snap truley with his left before though.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

you know, to this day i could not tell you if aussie jones was a right or left footer
always thought he was a fantastic kick

cant say ive seen milne on the left too many times (from memory)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:you know, to this day i could not tell you if aussie jones was a right or left footer
always thought he was a fantastic kick..
Gee, don't get me going on that one. He was a right footer who was a very good kick on his left foot. In fact, he could kick 50+ metres with his right foot and 45+ metres with his left foot. So far so good. But, he was a show off. Sometimes, under no pressure, when he could choose either foot, he would go onto his left - and the ball would fall five metres short. The only player I have ever seen kick further on his "non-preferred" was Leon Cameron.

In the "old" days, very few players could kick accurately with both feet. There were two who I saw as a boy, Bob Skilton and Ian Stewart. I was told by my father that Hayden Bunton could also kick accurately with both feet. Of course, those three also have something else in common.