We lost the game, but won a future......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We lost the game, but won a future......

Yep. Beaten fair and square. Best team won tonight but gotta love our new game plan.

Great marketing for the Saints and maybe it's the start of something a bit more exciting.

We play the bye next week and will be 5 and 5 before the huge challenge against Adelaide.

Looking forward to the rest of the season if we keep playing this brand of footy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Re: We lost the game, but won a future......

Game of the year no doubt.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I thought we were the bettwr team on the whole. Sure the commentators were convinced that the Tigers were the better side, but they'll never win a premiership the way they played tonight. There was a lot of "kick and hope" in their play and a lot more "handball and hope". They remind me of the way the Crows played 5-6 years back.

If they want to do better than the Crows did, they need to tighten up a fair bit.

But good on them. They are due a win against us. I don't begrudge them, but am frustrated because we did enough to win.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I thought we were the bettwr team on the whole.
Complete nonsense.

Had they taken theior chances qtr 1 we'd have been 5 goals down.

Grow up - we were on the back foot all night. Were smashed out of the middle early and Hayes, Dal Santo, Steven had average games (for Hayes hes allowed to occasionally)

Good news?

Best game from Goddard for a while and Armo has lifted enormously.

“Yeah….nah””
Munga
Saintsational Legend

We fkn lost the plot down back in the last. WTF are all the free tigers doing in their fwd 50??????

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:We fkn lost the plot down back in the last. WTF are all the free tigers doing in their fwd 50??????
yes that was odd..

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Complete nonsense.

Grow up - we were on the back foot all night. Were smashed out of the middle early and Hayes, Dal Santo, Steven had average games (for Hayes hes allowed to occasionally)

Good news?

We kicked 1.8 in the third. What happen if we had taken our chances?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yep. Beaten fair and square. Best team won tonight but gotta love our new game plan.
That's what I thought until tonight. To see most of the guys bust a gut only to get beaten is giving me second thoughts. Too many cheap out the back goals especially to their deadeye d**khead is making me hanker for a 45/43 win a la Ross Lyin. :(

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Yep. Beaten fair and square. Best team won tonight but gotta love our new game plan.

Great marketing for the Saints and maybe it's the start of something a bit more exciting.

We play the bye next week and will be 5 and 5 before the huge challenge against Adelaide.

Looking forward to the rest of the season if we keep playing this brand of footy.
great post feel the same way.... gram came to the party right when we needed it. just one of those, tigers refused to give up.. good on them.

what i will say in our defence was we were out of structure, no fisher or Ben... ruck killed us needed Kosi up front and blake down back. all in all great effort from the whole team, never said die & fought it out. very impressed with amount of goals we kicked. won the clearences 35 34

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

game of the year...

we play with fantastic energy and spirit.

love the way this club plays footy now.

sucks we lost though

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Complete nonsense.

Good news?

We kicked 1.8 in the third. What happen if we had taken our chances?
Id have said we were the best team in the 3rd if we did so.

That doesnt mean the games over and doesnt counter the fact the Tigers were great in first half.

For Mehebabble to suggest we were the better team on the night is cr@p.

“Yeah….nah””
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Munga wrote:We fkn lost the plot down back in the last. WTF are all the free tigers doing in their fwd 50??????
yes that was odd..
The tigers WALKED in at least three goals, I'm fkn fuming! Either our defenders are complete half-wits, or the coaches are.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Complete nonsense.

Good news?

Grow up yourself you rude bastard. I'm entitled to my opinion. We all put up with your moronic man crush on Ross Lyon for the best part of 5 years. You're a fine one to talk.

Yes we lost in the midfield most of the night. But the game is played all over the ground. Richmond were dreadful down back all night and, if they hadn't got some lucky umpiring calls (seriously, how many throws did the umps miss?) and if we hadn't missed some important chances, we would have been 3-4 goals up by the start of the last quarter.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Munga wrote:
Teflon wrote:
yes that was odd..
The tigers WALKED in at least three goals, I'm fkn fuming! Either our defenders are complete half-wits, or the coaches are.
I don't want to blame the three consecutive six day breaks because I think it's a) a copout b) irrelevant and c) untrue BUT we were absolutely exhausted. How we actually managed to contest those last few clearances and give ourselves an outside chance is unbelievable.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:
Teflon wrote:
yes that was odd..
The players were stuffed physically and mentally at the end.

When Simpkin and Newnes are your key defenders because Gilbo does some ruckwork you have a pretty dodgy structure.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

So Richmond are fitter than us? That's unacceptable.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:For Mehebabble to suggest we were the better team on the night is cr@p.
We were smashed 12 - 43 in hitouts, yet had more shots at goal, including a Kosi miss from 10 meters out…
We were in front in the last qtr FFS… It's not unreasonable to think we were better…
If someone was standing beside Jack Riewoldt for the last qtr we probably would have won.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Looked like 2006

No Ruckman, no defence...... Played exciting transition footy and were damaging fwd of the ball

But

We lost.... Which is not a great result is it??

Effort was ok, just
Our structure was poor down back, and composure was shocking...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I seem to recall a former coach who made a similar assessment following a loss to Richmond back in 2003'ish... was howled down and ridiculed mercilessly

turned out he was right.

that being being said, didn't c enough of the game to comment

just thought that was funny

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Looked like 2006

No Ruckman, no defence...... Played exciting transition footy and were damaging fwd of the ball

But

We lost.... Which is not a great result is it??

Effort was ok, just
Our structure was poor down back, and composure was shocking...

Kind of helps if we have both our ruckmen and back men in the game. Ben Rhys Gears and Chips all missing.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Hughjarce
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Complete nonsense.

Good news?

Grow up yourself you rude bastard. I'm entitled to my opinion. We all put up with your moronic man crush on Ross Lyon for the best part of 5 years. You're a fine one to talk.

Yes we lost in the midfield most of the night. But the game is played all over the ground. Richmond were dreadful down back all night and, if they hadn't got some lucky umpiring calls (seriously, how many throws did the umps miss?) and if we hadn't missed some important chances, we would have been 3-4 goals up by the start of the last quarter.
We actually won the free kick count. Yes there were some howlers but on both sides, such as Jake Kings mark in their forward line which was called play on. Richmond was very unlucky not to be up by more at 1/4 time. Their midfield was dominant (check the stats) and their general ball movement (especially fwd) was superior. We were undermanned and missed some easy opportunities but we would have stolen the game rather then won the game.

I am pissed off but proud of the Saints. Simpkin was beaten by Jack but he learnt a lot tonight, Gwilt hopefully will be better for the run, Gram showed us glimpses in the last quarter of how he can be dangerous when he applies himself, Saad was dangerous all night and Sippos deserves a full game.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:The players were stuffed physically and mentally at the end.

When Simpkin and Newnes are your key defenders because Gilbo does some ruckwork you have a pretty dodgy structure.
When Richmond got 20 points up we could have turned up our toes.

On TV (couldn't get to the game) they looked absolutely fked after three consecutive 6 day breaks and a match long end to end shootout. But still they rallied to kick 6 of the last 8 goals.

Still losing suggests we are a couple of KPP's short.

And alway though we were up s.hit creek in Mac got injured. Add that to Fish and we are really undermanned.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Very proud of the boys tonight, we were down by 20 points twice and fought back bravely, if we had taken our chances in the third qtr or if Joey hadnt butchered the kick across to BJ we may have won the game, but they didnt once turn it up right to the final second.
Fantastic effort, fantastic game of footy

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hughjarce wrote:We actually won the free kick count. Yes there were some howlers but on both sides, such as Jake Kings mark in their forward line which was called play on. Richmond was very unlucky not to be up by more at 1/4 time. Their midfield was dominant (check the stats) and their general ball movement (especially fwd) was superior. We were undermanned and missed some easy opportunities but we would have stolen the game rather then won the game.

I am pissed off but proud of the Saints. Simpkin was beaten by Jack but he learnt a lot tonight, Gwilt hopefully will be better for the run, Gram showed us glimpses in the last quarter of how he can be dangerous when he applies himself, Saad was dangerous all night and Sippos deserves a full game.
Hi Hugh, Great summation! I reckon you don't enough.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Complete nonsense.

Good news?

Best game from Goddard for a while and Armo has lifted enormously.[/quote]

Yes we lost in the midfield most of the night. But the game is played all over the ground. Richmond were dreadful down back all night and, if they hadn't got some lucky umpiring calls (seriously, how many throws did the umps miss?) and if we hadn't missed some important chances, we would have been 3-4 goals up by the start of the last quarter.[/quote]

Harsh I only suggested you were a wee bit immature, undecucated and moronic...no need to call me a rude bastard...my dad will have your guts for garters...

That said,you really are an imbecile, to suggest umpiring was pour biggest issue is laughable.

grow up.

“Yeah….nah””