Goddard on SEN, what did he say?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Goddard on SEN, what did he say?

Just listening, missed the BJ interview but apparently everyone is saying (inc saints fans) that they reckon he is gone after something he said. Did anyone hear it?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard on SEN, what did he say?

from another topic:

(caught end part of BJ): big money part of AFL environment, part and parcel of game.
Is Contact talk/GWS a Distraction: laughable, no legs to most of it, can't speak for Cloke.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Cheers, i asked the same thing on twitter and seems feedback is that everyone thinks he's going through motions and it stinks like Ablett & Scully.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Hes gone i thimnk hope we get something for him,

Buckets
SS Life Member

It's amazing considering last week on TFS he stated that he wanted to stay a Saint for the rest of his career and now after a 9 minute interview he is gone???

Thought he was just stating that some of the stories that had been written about him were laughable. IMO.

If he does go then we will receive the same compensation as Geelong and Melbourne. 2 First rounders. So if the unthinkable happens there is a silver lining.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
howlinwolf
Club Player

I heard the whole thing and didn't think anything he said pointed to him going or staying for that matter.
Just can't see how anyone would deduce that he is going from that interview ?
He is a serious and intense character. I don't think he'd suffer fools or innuendo well.
He said he thought all the media build up was laughable.
He said his management was in constant talks with StKilda. I would say they are trying to get the best deal for their client wherever that is.
It is all what I'd expect.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Thanks howlinwolf
Blasted early morning meetings

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Could be wrong but from I remember, Ablett, Scully and even Lyon never said they wanted to stay....which means....probably jack.

It was a beat up from SEN becuause it's a much bigger attention grabbing story and headline if he's leaving than staying so expect the truth to get blown all out of proportion. SEN will be running with this all day in their snippets and footy news updates and It enables them to have an ongoing news cycle which enables the station to keep attracting and building it's audience so they can attract advertisers and charge more for advertsing rates. There will be a completley different story tomorrow, and the next day and the day after that. That is the business model...that is what it it is all about...nothing more, nothing less...the truth...lol...it's completley irrelevant.
BJ will do his thing, SEN will do their thing and the supporters will do their thing and probably worry until he signs.
Last edited by SaintPav on Thu 31 May 2012 11:04am, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He will sign, and soon I reckon.

You get the feeling the Saints are working on a few signings at the moment and will announce them perhaps together shortly?

Ross who?
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:He said his management was in constant talks with StKilda. I would say they are trying to get the best deal for their client wherever that is.
It is all what I'd expect.
It would not be an easy negotiation process as BJ is not in career best form ATM. His management are probably asking for top dollar in line with best form. It would be negligent of his management to not allow some innuendo about GWS fester to push up BJ's price. Be patient people. I don't know if he is staying or going, just let the two parties sort it out and everybody stop guessing!

BJ stays: We retain an elite player.
BJ goes: We probably obtain 2 first round draft picks which could potentially yield 2 elite players in the future.

Saints are winners either way IMO, and thats all that matters to me.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:BJ stays: We retain an elite player.
BJ goes: We probably obtain 2 first round draft picks which could potentially yield 2 elite players in the future.

Saints are winners either way IMO, and thats all that matters to me.
Good post, not much point worrying about it, we end up with something great either way. We can't afford to destroy our cap for the next 5 years to keep anyone.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Is there some sort of prize on offer for correctly predicting Goddard's going to GWS?

If not, why do so many people seem so keen to declare it on forums such as this?

He hasn't said he's going. And when he indicates a desire to stay at the Saints that's taken as "he's going." It gets down to Goddard saying he wants to stay but because Gary said he wanted to stay but then left, that means Goddard's going. Aren't they two different people?

He may stay or he may go. What's the big rush to be able to say "I told you so"? :roll:

Legendary
Club Player

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Feel sorry for the bloke. If you were asked the same question 100 times, you would try and find some different words to express the same sentiment ... in BJ's case it doesn't matter what he says, the media and St Kilda supporters pounce on him.

He's a great footballer and has been fantastic for the Saints. We would never have drawn a GF if it wasn't for this bloke. How about his courage in the '09 GF when he got smashed and kept playing?

Bit of respect for the position that he is in would be nice.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Is there some sort of prize on offer for correctly predicting Goddard's going to GWS?
Haven't you heard of the BJ award?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

He spoke the same as he has for the past 6-12 months on this issue. Nothing will change until he has signed on the dotted line. People are jut crystal-ball gazing at the moment. He will be signed for us soon.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It could be that BJ is playing games with the media now. He must be royally sick of all the speculation. The thing with the card and the $1 on TFS gave me the strongest indication yet that he intends to stay

I wouldn't have a clue whether he is staying or going, I hope he stays !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still feel the best signing for output would be Cloke. He is a true power forward compared to handy utility who doesn't play great when heavily tagged. At a team with developing youth he would get extra attention and really struggle. If he went you would think Carlton etc.but they have to sign Gibbs and a few others so may not have room.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Is there some sort of prize on offer for correctly predicting Goddard's going to GWS?
Haven't you heard of the BJ award?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

If Carlton can "afford" him there needs to be a royal commission, honestly…

Do they have any veterans… Waite maybe?

They could only afford Goddard with an under-the-table deal which would be hard in terms of free-agency as the offer which we need to match would all have to be counted in their cap. No chance.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

It will all come down to $$$. The club want to keep Goddard but they dont rate him anywhere near the echelon that some of the media do. Apart from a pocket of brilliant games towards the end of the 2010 season they rate him nowhere near the hysteria some commentators have. So in a nutshell if another club offers him big biccies our club wont match it. He does want to stay however. Dont ask me how I know

MrCordz
Club Player

In any negotiation, you lose if you let your intentions known. Goddards management will be telling him to say nothing regardless of his feelings toward the saints. I hope he stays - I heard the interview and am split in my thughts whether he will stay or go. Either way he's played it well.

Humbly St. Kilda
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Just listened to interview. Not sure why it's getting airtime like it did when I asked initial question.

He says "it's same as for last 6-8 weeks, just playing straight bat".

I'll stand my gut feel for long time that he's gone, it does stink of Ablett, Scully, Lyon, Bomber Thompson etc etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think the reason some think he has gone is for the same reason that some thought RL would go at the end of last year. He said nothing is happening at the moment and didnt say he will be at our club when others like Joey have said it. I wouldnt have a clue if he is staying or going but it is similar to Ward and Ablett before they left.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I doubt whether too many really know what's going on, so let's get on with talking about the footy !

As other posters have said, 2 first draft picks with the way our player list is currently sitting, won't be too bad a deal. Personally, I would likre to keep him, as you never want to lose Club champions.

When I watch him close-up in games, he is still giving 100% to the contest, so keep on going BJ!