Changes v/s the Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

Changes v/s the Tigers

With the milestone game in the bag, lets focus our attention towards Friday night. Another 6 day break but luckily played under the roof as against the Tiges who may have had few heavy legs.

Chips will be in consideration and Geary may be given a break to recover from his hit/fracture eye ball socket?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v/s the Tigers

Chips and McEvoy the only ins if fit. Great effort by the boys.
If Geary concussed it makes it easier, but if not will play - deservedly got huge wraps for his attack on the ball.
Gram out for chips. Any one else dropped will be unlucky.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I seriously can't see why people want Gram dropped, he has been good since coming back. He had a poor year last year but hasn't done anything wrong and heaps right in 2012. Who is knocking down the door to take his spot. Newnes and Cripps are probably his long term replacements but he is better there than either was when they had their chance. We are not far from the top four so playing youth for experience should be minimised to those demanding a spot not charity. Raph could play a running back role but the fans hate him even more than Gram.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

desertsaint wrote:Chips and McEvoy the only ins if fit. Great effort by the boys.
If Geary concussed it makes it easier, but if not will play - deservedly got huge wraps for his attack on the ball.
I'm with you DS!

However I also agree with many of our other esteemed forumites whose footy knowledge I also rate... Grammy will not be dropped next week. :(

I reckon that Cuddles is somewhat following the Ro$$y approach of utilising 'role players'. I've watched Grammy cruise around and I've finally worked out his role... observer. :roll:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Really hard situation. I'm a little stumped to be honest.

Want to give Simpkin, Saad, Milera, Cripps and Siposs every chance.

Gilbert has been subdued but been reasonably solid as a KPP.

Gram had his worst game since coming back but has been pretty solid.

Kosi is battling a bit now but had been good in first six weeks.

Gwilt needs to keep playing.

Geary perhaps due for a spell anyway regardless of injury? Doing little offensively and we have Dempster and Jones to lock-down?

At a stretch:

In: Fisher (if fit), McEvoy (if fit)
Out: 1. Siposs 2. Geary (if not injured anyway)

But if Chips and Macca aren't ready then no change

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bergsone
SS Life Member

If Geary is ok

IN Fisher

Out Gram

trojansaint
Club Player

If injured-

Out: Geary

In: Newnes

He was playing as a bit of a run-with midfielder for Sandy a few weeks ago and did the role extremely well.

defacto
Club Player

trojansaint wrote:If injured-

He was playing as a bit of a run-with midfielder for Sandy a few weeks ago and did the role extremely well.
i like this idea!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Geary perhaps due for a spell anyway regardless of injury?
Don't think so somehow after the coach singled him out for a courageous act. No change unless Fisher is fit, in which case I don't know who to drop after so good a win.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 27 May 2012 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
trojansaint wrote:If injured-

i like this idea!!!
Let him run with Delidio or Cotchin and get some Newned T shirts made up in advance.

PJ
SS Life Member

I'm pretty sure Ben is a way off yet so the only possibly in would be Fisher if fit.

When Steven was hobbling I thought of Ledger straight away but he looked to go pretty well after that.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Chips and McEvoy the only ins if fit. Great effort by the boys.
I don't think McEvoy will be right for this week, i thought he was still a couple of weeks away , at least....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If Geary is out..... Raph Clarke may get a run

Gilbert out...... Fisher in

Siposs, Cripps still going whilst Stanley and schnieder are not ready... McEvoy interesting.

PJ
SS Life Member

Gilbert hasn't been on fire but he gives us height in the backline (194cm) and is starting to impact the contest. I think he's having a crack just is a bit off his usual standards. He's only 3 cms shorter than Kosi.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't reckon Fisher is right.

Watch Watters presser, he says something that alludes to him not being right, but then corrects himself quickly with he may be back next week.

You get the feeling he may of reinjured it like someone mentioned on here recently?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fisher is 192cm half back, so like for like IMO

I know who I'd rather have in the side...
Have a gander at Gilbert's decline in numbers since 2010... They are not pretty reading

Confidence or whatever, don't really care... He is struggling

PJ
SS Life Member

Fisher doesn't play tall. Gilbert has a leap and can impact the marking contest better and we've got some tall opposition over the next couple of weeks. I'd be very surprised if he goes.

To the top
SS Life Member

One of the contributing factors may be that the VFL was in recess for the State game(s).

So those putting pressure on from the VFL, notably Clarke, Newnes and Schnieder did not have the opportunity to impress and will have to rely on training track performances this week.

Wilkes was the other emergency (with Clarke and Schnieder) but I do not regard him as banging the door down.

I would now suspect that Wilkes as emergency was cover for an ill Koschitzke - and Newnes would otherwise had been the other emergency meaning the 3 in contention.

So it comes down to Fisher recovering - because neither McEvoy or Stanley will be available.

Geary, for all his courage in doing what needed to be done on one occasion, had just 4 touches of the football and they were not inspiring including an out on the full if my memory serves me correctly.

Gilbert, as our tallest defender is required to be far more accountable and does not currently have the licence to drift across the front of a contest and take off.

I still maintain that with Fisher and Clarke back this will free Gilbert to the 3rd or 4th or 5th attacking option.

I have no problem with either Gilbert or Gram - and in the absence of Gwilt (until last night and a little rusty), Fisher and Clarke they have performed as has been required in slightly different roles.

Gram has played as a defender.

As I put on a thread on here some time ago, the key is Simpkin holding down the former Dawson responsibility (and I feel more comfortable with Simpkin already than I ever did with Dawson).

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:If Geary is out..... Raph Clarke may get a run

Gilbert out...... Fisher in

Siposs, Cripps still going whilst Stanley and schnieder are not ready... McEvoy interesting.
How did Gilbert's opponent go? He was on Sam Reid for much of the game, one of the most hyped players in the AFL

Reid had 7 poss - 2 of which were free kicks.....go figure

Some want Gilbert tipped out, even though Saints have a shortage of tall defenders, and not many talls at all.

Stand your ground :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you reckon Gilbert is playing well?? Who would you pick out of a fit fisher and Gilbert
Or would you drop
Simpkin
Dempster
Gwilt

Who are also tallish defenders

Sam Fisher not playing tall.... Serious... He would be the equal best one on one mark on the list....

Played on Brown, Pavlich, Goodes, Franklin and other and beat them easily.... He a gun, tall or short.... Like Scarlett

PJ
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Do you reckon Gilbert is playing well?? Who would you pick out of a fit fisher and Gilbert
Or would you drop
Simpkin
Dempster
Gwilt

Sam Fisher not playing tall.... Serious... He would be the equal best one on one mark on the list....

Played on Brown, Pavlich, Goodes, Franklin and other and beat them easily.... He a gun, tall or short.... Like Scarlett
Simpkin, Dempster, Gwilt.....tallish?

Most teams (west coast/cox) rest ruckmen as well as have tall forwards. We have a small backline you can't ditch Gilbert he is required.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Do you reckon Gilbert is playing well?? Who would you pick out of a fit fisher and Gilbert
Or would you drop
Simpkin
Dempster
Gwilt

Why does it have to be 'out of Gilbert or Fisher' ? You know the answer. Gilbert is not playing that well - but well enough to hold Sam Reid though. And partly change his running game to a KP type.

They don't need to drop any of the players you mentioned if Fisher is available. Anyway I doubt they will tip Gilbert out.

Don't know who you're responding to for that last part - I never said Fisher doesn't play tall.....

Stand your ground :shock:
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Or would you drop
Simpkin
Dempster
Gwilt

Gwilty, much as I love the 'fro, was pretty close to worst on ground first game back. Kicking was nowhere near his usual standard. Timing in the contest was poor. His in close hands were good though.

Gilbert fought like a dog and frankly slaughtered the dangerous Reid into non-existence did he not?

Not as easy a selection dilemma as you make out. Gilbo, even down on his best, is an extremely awkward, pact, tallish competitor for a Tiger opponent. Could you run him with Dustin Martin?

Perhaps JG's better off finding nick elsewhere for now (mind you do Sandy have a game?)

Fisher (if fit, which I doubt) for Jimmy for now?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
rexy
SS Life Member

Im not sure who you would drop if Fisher is right to go, Dont think it is either Geary or Gilbert. I think they are 2 of our more defensive type of defenders if that makes sense. Maybe Sippos will be the unlucky one or possibly Gram if we want to take a backman out for him.

hard call, I think getting Schneider in is the real hard one, no idea who comes out for him or if he really needs to smash the door down to get a run at all.

Maybe this year?
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

it would probably be Blake if we didn't need his amazing efforts in the ruck so badly, and even then he has been playing well down back.
you have to have Fisher in the team as soon as he is ready to go no one will question that.
feel like I've gone full circle with no answer. likely fitness and match ups will play a bigger part than what we are talking about.
it's nice to have the stocks.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches