2 to 3 games in NZ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

2 to 3 games in NZ

So the paper today says we are close to signing up to play 2 to 3 games in NZ and we will get about a million dollars. My opinion is that it is a stupid move. The reason being it will probably get us bugger all supporters as NZ is not a footy place at all. They love their Rugby to much to worry about the game. Yes we get a million but unlike the Hawks or even North we will get bugger all members out of it. I hope it is 2 games at the most and it would have to be against interstate sides so we dont lose games against Victorian sides. This will almost certainly mean at least 7 travels next season as well. It is obvious the club is struggling for money or it wouldnt do this but 2 years ago we made over a million dollars. What has happened since then. Obviously spend has gone up but we need to find other ways of getting revenue other than going overseas to play. For a start if we want to go you need a passport which is a hassle and an expense that some people just will not bother with.

There isnt anything we can do about this and it is a waste of time to whinge but I just felt I needed to get it off my chest. Others will say it is a good move and i hope they prove correct I just cant see it. Can anyone give me other positives apart from a million dollars which is $800000 clear profit as you are guaranteed a $100000 a game at Etihad.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2 to 3 games in NZ

plugger66 wrote:There isnt anything we can do about this and it is a waste of time to whinge but I just felt I needed to get it off my chest. Others will say it is a good move and i hope they prove correct I just cant see it. Can anyone give me other positives apart from a million dollars which is $800000 clear profit as you are guaranteed a $100000 a game at Etihad.
Are those figures correct? I understood we made a loss at Etihad if we had a crowd under 30k.

Lets face it. We have joined the wondering nomads on the bottom tier of Melbourne football teams. Bulldogs, North, Melbourne, all selling their last remaining pieces of their sould for the $. I leave Hawthorn out of this as they seem to have gone from strength to strength.

One thing though. You are correct NZ love Rugby, but the crowds i have seen at the Super Rugby games at the venue mooted have been miniscule, less than 10k. The same venue got nearly 30k for a RL match a few years back.

Two games a year may be OK. The novelty Anzac Day game and one other. Three is overkill.

And considering they are home games, what compensation do we get considering we pay for 11 home games? Some s.hit seats at away games at the G?

The membership is becoming more diluted every single year it seems.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:There isnt anything we can do about this and it is a waste of time to whinge but I just felt I needed to get it off my chest. Others will say it is a good move and i hope they prove correct I just cant see it. Can anyone give me other positives apart from a million dollars which is $800000 clear profit as you are guaranteed a $100000 a game at Etihad.
Are those figures correct? I understood we made a loss at Etihad if we had a crowd under 30k.

Lets face it. We have joined the wondering nomads on the bottom tier of Melbourne football teams. Bulldogs, North, Melbourne, all selling their last remaining pieces of their sould for the $. I leave Hawthorn out of this as they seem to have gone from strength to strength.

One thing though. You are correct NZ love Rugby, but the crowds i have seen at the Super Rugby games at the venue mooted have been miniscule, less than 10k. The same venue got nearly 30k for a RL match a few years back.

Two games a year may be OK. The novelty Anzac Day game and one other. Three is overkill.

And considering they are home games, what compensation do we get considering we pay for 11 home games? Some s.hit seats at away games at the G?

The membership is becoming more diluted every single year it seems.

I beleive last year they changed it that at Etihad you get $100000 a game profit whatever the attendance. Anyway the point you make about the membership is good one. Didnt think of it but if we were to lose 5000 members and get bugger all in NZ then we would actually be worse off. 5000 may seem a lot to some people but we just lost 5000 this year so it can happen. I am sure the club have thought about this but this is the club that was aiming for 45k members this year. They were only 10k out.

james rose
Club Player

KiwiKick (Oz Kick equivalent), started March 2009 with 41 participants, 2010 had 8152, 2011 had 15210, projected for 2012, 24000. By the end 2011 had 309 accredited coaches.

Would indicate there is interest.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Fair points Plugger.

I'm now against home games at the G. It's an
Epic fail on all counts. My reserved seats are crap and I can easily get much better general admin seats believe it or not!

2 games per year max in NZ.

Another option is to sell games to Cairns - they don't seem to play any H&A games.

And getting a passport is a massive pain in the arse, unless you're renewing a recently lapsed one which is easy.

Try getting a new one or if your old one has expired for a few
Years and it's a rather painful process!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
james rose
Club Player

Really simple way for the fans to avoid us selling home games.

TURN UP!

The numbers we have been getting leave the club with little choice.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This thread is full of s*** as everyone is putting their own interests before the club. I believe within the next 10 years the Bulldogs and North won't exist in Melbourne. Think about it!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintlySaint85
Club Player

james rose wrote:Really simple way for the fans to avoid us selling home games.

TURN UP!

The numbers we have been getting leave the club with little choice.
this guy gets it.
personally i think its a great move. if we can make NZ a fortress like hawthorn have made tassie, i'll be quite happy. thats 3 games with the points in the bag a year - only need another 9 and we're in the 8 year after year.
would love to play freo over there - 12 hours on a plane for them, 4 for us. love it.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Might as well get fair dinkum and take three home games to South Africa or Ireland where there will be some interest in the game.

Have it set up around the bye rounds,so the visiting team get the following week off

Bring back the Lockett era
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I don't think that you need a passport to go to NZ, but who would want to do that in the winter (except for the skiers).

It seems that we are trying to find a spot where the Club can obtain "on-going" and "increasing" revenue. NZ has that potential if we are first in and can generate plenty of local support. The problem is, current Saints members will lose out and our interstate members will have another reason to opt out, if there are fewer games for them.

The longer term problem is that Victoria cannot support the huge sponsorship funds needed to run 8 Clubs (incl. G'long). To date, the Saints do not seem to have any serious "alternative" revenue earning opportunities plans in place.

As the membership falls, the family connections fall away, diminishing further, longer term members. As with most supporters that i know, their allegance was heavily influenced by family.

james rose
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Might as well get fair dinkum and take three home games to South Africa or Ireland where there will be some interest in the game.

Have it set up around the bye rounds,so the visiting team get the following week off
Where does this there is no interest in the game over there thought come from?

Or is it just opinion?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Pros

Significant profit for the club. Could be the difference between an overall profit or loss.

Exposure in an untapped developing market.

Support from the AFL who are keen to develop the game internationally.

Helps sure up the financial future of the club.

Potenial (albeit small) membership gain.

Minimise away games interstate (Hawthorn only play 3 interstate games other than Tasmania).

Maximise away games in Melbourne, as the make up games for members will have to be at Etihad or the MCG.

Maximum exposure on Anzac Day.

The club is proactive about growing and promoting to sure up it's future.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
jonesy wrote:Might as well get fair dinkum and take three home games to South Africa or Ireland where there will be some interest in the game.

Or is it just opinion?
Know plenty of Kiwi's, go over there every second year,and work with about 20. Not one of them have the slightest interest in the game,even the one's living here. As a generalisation they have a chip on there shoulder about Australians and sport, therefore us taking our game over there is just an opportunity for them to mock it. After the first game where 11,000 people turn up on promo tickets,no one will go,or care

james rose
Club Player

jonesy wrote:
james rose wrote:

Or is it just opinion?
Know plenty of Kiwi's, go over there every second year,and work with about 20. Not one of them have the slightest interest in the game,even the one's living here. As a generalisation they have a chip on there shoulder about Australians and sport, therefore us taking our game over there is just an opportunity for them to mock it. After the first game where 11,000 people turn up on promo tickets,no one will go,or care
Interesting.

My equally small sample size of NZ mates are very excited about the prospect of AFL games being played there for points.

Quote from one of them.

"You know what’s funny, if it’s in Wellington it will sell out the ground even though nobody will know the rules! Wellington is sporting mad and when they have one off games there for league (Bulldogs home game) they hit capacity."

However I highly doubt either of our research is sufficient enough to say one way or the other if there is enough interest there.

Pretty confident the clubs will be though.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
Interesting.

My equally small sample size of NZ mates are very excited about the prospect of AFL games being played there for points.

Quote from one of them.

"You know what’s funny, if it’s in Wellington it will sell out the ground even though nobody will know the rules! Wellington is sporting mad and when they have one off games there for league (Bulldogs home game) they hit capacity."

However I highly doubt either of our research is sufficient enough to say one way or the other if there is enough interest there.

Pretty confident the clubs will be though.

If we go ahead with it I hope the club does well out of it if it's only twice a year. At this stage though I'm a skeptic...who knows? I don't have a huge amount of faith in the clubs research. The way they are going the next coach appointed will need to come with H Endorsement and a Heavy Rigid license to drive the team bus

sax
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Fair points Plugger.

I'm now against home games at the G. It's an
Epic fail on all counts. My reserved seats are crap and I can easily get much better general admin seats believe it or not!

2 games per year max in NZ.

Another option is to sell games to Cairns - they don't seem to play any H&A games.

And getting a passport is a massive pain in the arse, unless you're renewing a recently lapsed one which is easy.

Try getting a new one or if your old one has expired for a few
Years and it's a rather painful process!

From my understanding it is 3 games.

1 NAB cup game, ANZAC day & 1 other for $1 million.

Not a bad move IMHO!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Don't Hawthorn get extra MCG 'away' games and one less interstate game for playing in Tassie? And The financial benefit will allow more spending on the footy depart. Very good move IMO.

SaintlySaint85
Club Player

jonesy wrote: If we go ahead with it I hope the club does well out of it if it's only twice a year. At this stage though I'm a skeptic...who knows? I don't have a huge amount of faith in the clubs research. The way they are going the next coach appointed will need to come with H Endorsement and a Heavy Rigid license to drive the team bus
jonesy wrote:Know plenty of Kiwi's, go over there every second year,and work with about 20. Not one of them have the slightest interest in the game,even the one's living here. As a generalisation they have a chip on there shoulder about Australians and sport, therefore us taking our game over there is just an opportunity for them to mock it. After the first game where 11,000 people turn up on promo tickets,no one will go,or care
i'm pretty sure their research will amount to more than sweeping generalisations based around 20 blokes they work with once every two years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Stanley and Steven are keen for a few NZ games.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote:I don't think that you need a passport to go to NZ, but who would want to do that in the winter (except for the skiers).

It seems that we are trying to find a spot where the Club can obtain "on-going" and "increasing" revenue. NZ has that potential if we are first in and can generate plenty of local support. The problem is, current Saints members will lose out and our interstate members will have another reason to opt out, if there are fewer games for them.

The longer term problem is that Victoria cannot support the huge sponsorship funds needed to run 8 Clubs (incl. G'long). To date, the Saints do not seem to have any serious "alternative" revenue earning opportunities plans in place.

As the membership falls, the family connections fall away, diminishing further, longer term members. As with most supporters that i know, their allegance was heavily influenced by family.
You do need a passport but not a visa.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If a deal is done then a deal is done.

And if a deal is done then the most important thing the club can do is to ensure the players, members and supporters are brought on board. They must convince them that this is a great opportunity and that it will help to ensure the club survives as a Victorian based entity into the foresabble future. If it can convince the stakeholders that it will help grow the club into a powerhouse then all the better.

I don't care whether or not the club explains to me why Tom Ledger is not currently being selected.

I don't care whether or not the club explains to me why Brendon Goddard has not been re-signed at this stage.

I don't even care whether or not the club explains to me the true nature of Sam Fisher's hamstring injury.

But I do care about knowing the club's vision about NZ and the future in general.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I reckon Stanley and Steven are keen for a few NZ games.
Hillary arse

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It seems some like the move but I think some of the pro's are a bit over the top IMO. A fortress. I doubt that as they will be lucky to get 5k from NZ to go to the games. The rest will be our own supporters and if it was an interstate side in Melbourne we would still have our own fortress at Etihad. As for the profits. yes we make about 400k clear a game if we have 2 games but say we lose members because of it. As it is people hardly go when we dont play at Etihad so with less games there some people will no doubt say bugger it, they can stick their membership. 5000 have done it this year. Obviously the Saints have done their research but if they think this will work long term then I reckon a few are in fantasy land. People say GWS wont work because people in Western Sydney love their League well you can make it tenfold worse in NZ. At least Sydney people know what AFL is. And do people want 7 interstate trips. I doubt it but I hope I am 100% wrong. If it does somehow work it would be great for the club.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Don't Hawthorn get extra MCG 'away' games and one less interstate game for playing in Tassie? And The financial benefit will allow more spending on the footy depart. Very good move IMO.

I think you might be right. If we could get a similar deal from the afl then it might be a good move. If the club decides to go ahead with it then I hope they put an effort in to promotong the club in NZ and make every effort to make it work long term. But at this point I am a bit skeptical about playing games in NZ

I love this club
SideshowMilne
Club Player

Any talk of the Anzac Day game time. Any bets Eddie is behind the scenes ensuring it runs at night as therefore same time (and TV slot) as 'his' game.