Quickest Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

noob
Club Player

Quickest Team

Quickest team we've had in years! what a zipping forward line we've got now. Not only that you've got milne to do something special Milera and Saad are just as exciting if not more!

battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Quickest Team

And Stanley. That Saad/Stanley goal was awesome to watch.

Farren Ray said as much in the post game interview. Something like, "The Saints have some pace now!".

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
TJMcCarthy
Club Player

WE ARE SPEEDSTERS. We beat a very fast side at their own game tonight ! 13 intercepted Sainter marks to the bluebag 6.

I wonder is there anyone out there in footyland believing that the Saints are slow?
Last edited by TJMcCarthy on Tue 15 May 2012 12:08am, edited 1 time in total.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:And Stanley. That Saad/Stanley goal was awesome to watch.
yeah - that one was built 100% on pace - no skill required, just f***** run as fast as you can. not very st kilda like!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Saad, Steven, Milera, Stanley, if we can move it in quickly other sides we will be seriously worried.

Consistency will be the test, but the potential is great

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Richter
SS Life Member

I think Farren said something like.... "it's good we have pace now to get around the back of teams...."

And that is absolutely right. It means that teams can no longer double or triple team Rooey, because we have so many more avenues to goal now....

- Talls
- Pace
- Crumbers

If Sippos can come on, and we have Schneids still to come back then that adds another dimension of terrific skill going forward too.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:I think Farren said something like.... "it's good we have pace now to get around the back of teams...."

And that is absolutely right. It means that teams can no longer double or triple team Rooey, because we have so many more avenues to goal now....

- Talls
- Pace
- Crumbers

If Sippos can come on, and we have Schneids still to come back then that adds another dimension of terrific skill going forward too.
Great point. We now have a heap of guys capable of kicking say 3 goals. Riewoldt, Milne, Kosi, Stanley, Milera, Saad, Wilkes, Schneider, Siposs. We lose a bit defensively, but that's fine as long as we get more the other way

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

agree with all the posts , we were quick ,
however carltons mid-field pace and ability to spread was still superior !
Our backline held up well and gave them few options .

In red white and black from 73
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:agree with all the posts , we were quick ,
however carltons mid-field pace and ability to spread was still superior !
Our backline held up well and gave them few options .
Yep. Maybe once Schneider comes back Milera and Saad could float around half-back a bit to spread the pace

Richter
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote: Great point. We now have a heap of guys capable of kicking say 3 goals. Riewoldt, Milne, Kosi, Stanley, Milera, Saad, Wilkes, Schneider, Siposs. We lose a bit defensively, but that's fine as long as we get more the other way
And how exciting is it to have a coach whose philosophy is exactly that.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Watters: we don't just play offence. 'We want to play strong, defensive footy but we want to hurt oppo on the other side of the coin too.'

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
dcstkfc wrote: Great point. We now have a heap of guys capable of kicking say 3 goals. Riewoldt, Milne, Kosi, Stanley, Milera, Saad, Wilkes, Schneider, Siposs. We lose a bit defensively, but that's fine as long as we get more the other way
And how exciting is it to have a coach whose philosophy is exactly that.
It is great as long as we're winning :wink:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Ross!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Before the game I thought that Carlton was quick, and at the match you could see it patches, but for change the saints were also quick especially in the forward line. just need a a quick player in the middle.!

Thomas
Club Player

Great to see, not only we had the pace to match and beat them, the commitment of everybody in chasing tackling and smothering for the full four quarters was magnificient.
Thank you Boys

All said and done The blues are still our bitch......

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
oh when the
Club Player

They maybe our bitch - couldn't you just see all the blues supporters at the 20mins of the first qtr thinking they were on top of the ladder -
and then leaving at the 15 min mark of the last qtr - they must have had work the next day - Well done Sainters -

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:Before the game I thought that Carlton was quick, and at the match you could see it patches, but for change the saints were also quick especially in the forward line. just need a a quick player in the middle.!
Jack

It's funny we went nuts at the end of last season bemoaning the lack of dimension in the forward line and most thought it would be 5 years to develop a new batch capable of adding scoring ability. Where the hell do you find 2 fast small goal kickers for loose change with out giving up anything too major?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:Before the game I thought that Carlton was quick, and at the match you could see it patches, but for change the saints were also quick especially in the forward line. just need a a quick player in the middle.!

While we have really improved our pace.....a key to the game was that we as a team played very well in denying their quick players any space, while also ensuring that our quick players had paddocks to run in.

Net result was that on the night we were the quickest team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
TJMcCarthy
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
Jack
Rhys -playing ruck position. Imo not having Benny Mc may have worked v much in our favour against Carlscum. A good coach knows how to play his best hand in the key aspect of team match ups.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Ledger :D

GRAMophone
Club Player

Saad and Milera are not just super fast in a straight line but incredibly agile in their baulking etc - which often sees them getting into the space they need to burn the others off. Loving it!

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

That little highlight reel on the AFL St Kilda site of goals from Milney, Milera Saad and Stanley etc is just a gem...can't wipe the smile off my face. The pace and skill is great and Milnes antics just crack me up.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
spert
Saintsational Legend

It was great to watch us beat Carlton, but let's not get ahead of ourselves- Saad and Milera got under Carlton's radar, but I think WCE will be watching a bit closer. If we beat WCE over there then I would say we are a real chance to get in the top 4 for the season.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:It was great to watch us beat Carlton, but let's not get ahead of ourselves- Saad and Milera got under Carlton's radar, but I think WCE will be watching a bit closer. If we beat WCE over there then I would say we are a real chance to get in the top 4 for the season.
Thing is though, and it's a concept that is unique to us fans in recent years.....if they put the focus into Saad and Milera, perhaps Roo and Kosi will kick more than one?

We are finally like one of those arcade games when you bop something down and something else pops up.