Malthouse does it again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

God_Nel
Club Player

Malthouse does it again

AS ST Kilda small forward Stephen Milne revelled in his 500-goal milestone yesterday, his reputation as a big-game performer came under fire from Mick Malthouse.

The former Collingwood and West Coast premiership coach said Milne should be congratulated for becoming one of only five non-key forwards to kick 500 goals, but questioned how many of those 500 goals had come against top teams in big games or finals.

Milne has kicked 25 goals in 16 finals appearances, an average of 1.5 goals a final, compared to his overall average of 2.1.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... z1tTuXuNSa
Couldn't resist another jab, eh mick?

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: Malthouse does it again

Real classy as usual Mick.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

25 goals in 15 finals

for a small forward
disgusting lol

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure anyone was saying that Milney was up there with Bartlett or Matthews or Daicos. The bloke is a complete knob. First up all those aforementioned players were midfield guns who became small fwds - much like G. Ablett junior will eventually become I expect in 5 years or so. They are/were established superstars of the game. Milney has and always will be a small fwd. Not many strings to his bow, but does his job bloody well. Why couldn't Malthouse just acknowledge the achievement and move on? Milney was a rookie listed player who scrapped and hung in there. To be named AA last year was an unbelievable achievement for him.

It's like fools comparing Jason Blake's 200 games with Ross Glendenning's. They are both great achievements. In their moment of glory, no need to try and lessen the glory.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If I was Malthouse I'd refrain from commenting on Milne at all.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest though, Milney has gone missing in some big games but Malthouse should have picked a different occasion to make such a comment.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

While there is some truth in what Mick says, he played 2 good finals in 2010 including the drawn GF and kicked a small bag in the 2004 semi final.

Finals are usually man on man heavily contested games and they are very different to home and away and don't usually suit the small forward.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I agree with MM that Milne hasn't performed at a high level in finals, certainly early on in his career however it was poor timing by MM. It's a time for Milne to enjoy and celebrate his achievement not have his career questioned.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:If I was Malthouse I'd refrain from commenting on Milne at all.

This is the same Malthouse who was unwilling or unable to pick up the phone and apologise (as he was directed to by the AFL) to Milney after "that" slur a few years ago. Instead, Eddie got the Collingwood lawyers to draw up an apology that was sent to St Kilda from Gary Pert's email address !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Strange move by MM considering one of his assistants is now our Head Coach. It's obvious that he will draw criticism upon himself and I doubt SW would be happy.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Strange move by MM considering one of his assistants is now our Head Coach. It's obvious that he will draw criticism upon himself and I doubt SW would be happy.
he was just giving an opinion probably based on a question or discussion on 3AW on Sun morning...they have to talk about soemething and if that is the way he feels, that's the way he feels..whether he is right is another matter...reckon SW and Milney won't give a stuff...I would be disappointed if they did, it comes with the territory.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Malthouse has had the luxury of walking into two cashed-up clubs (WCE and Collingwood) and got everything he asked for- for any coach that's a dream run, and a better chance than most to secure a premiership..maybe he just needs to shut up now.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Straight after last years GF (MM's last game), Tim Watson rumoured or suggested on SEN that MM & SM may have caught up for a belated chat at MM's request. I have never heard this mentioned or bought up elsewhere, but would love to know either way. I suppose only by asking 44 personally one would really know.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Strange move by MM considering one of his assistants is now our Head Coach. It's obvious that he will draw criticism upon himself and I doubt SW would be happy.
he was just giving an opinion probably based on a question or discussion on 3AW on Sun morning...they have to talk about soemething and if that is the way he feels, that's the way he feels..whether he is right is another matter...reckon SW and Milney won't give a stuff...I would be disappointed if they did, it comes with the territory.
I didn't hear where he said it but I don't think that means much. MM could have easily just said "Wonderful career by Milney" and left it at that. Like I said poor timing to share such an opinion. Similar to what Aka said about Brad Johnson I think it was.

I'm sure Milne would roll his eyes at the comment....And I'm sure he won't give a stuff or make it known public anyway.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Let's be honest though, Milney has gone missing in some big games but Malthouse should have picked a different occasion to make such a comment.
The irony is that if the ball had bounced in a different direction in the 1st GF in 2010, then Milney's name would be engraved into the history books and he would be lauded a legend of the club. As it was he out positioned a much bigger and stronger opponent in that last 1/4 to mark and kick a crucial goal. Virtually won us that 2010 qualifying final off his own boot with Riewoldt as well.

He definitely has had his low moments in finals but the 500 goals is a testament to his longevity and consistency in the game. That's all Malthouse had to say.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Which could be why Scott has been able 'see' the real Steve and had been at pains to say so each time he is asked, note post game presser , he has seen beyond Mick's view,

Agree with others say nothing, decline to join conversation, it seems that most of the football world know of his bias, but also kmow grumpy Mick will not dissapear over night,

Re Tim suggesting a meeting I think it was put to Stephen that it may happen, Stephen said time had gone on andoved past or simething to that effect,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

God_Nel wrote:
AS ST Kilda small forward Stephen Milne revelled in his 500-goal milestone yesterday, his reputation as a big-game performer came under fire from Mick Malthouse.

The former Collingwood and West Coast premiership coach said Milne should be congratulated for becoming one of only five non-key forwards to kick 500 goals, but questioned how many of those 500 goals had come against top teams in big games or finals.

Milne has kicked 25 goals in 16 finals appearances, an average of 1.5 goals a final, compared to his overall average of 2.1.

"But to honest, I could be wrong, as I really can be a bit of a hot-head a**ewipe, but I do mean well," Malthouse added.
So, Micky Milkshake doesn't consider that match in early 2010 when Rooey, Chips and Lenny went down at various stages, to be a big game nor against top oppositon :?: :?: :?:

Little Milney stood tall and became the go-to forward that night - and provided the 'came of age' James Gwilt with someone to kick his missiles to.

Maybe Micky might want to also give an opinion on how often Donuts Davis delivered in a big final? Hint Micky: his nickname and why he earnt it, equals the answer. :idea: :oops:

Or maybe Micky, we could hear your take on how often the over-hyped he-man Nathan Buckley went and actually won his own footy. Hint Micky: for someone of Nathan's supposed standing, the answer is pretty close to 'not often'. :oops:

But in fairness to to Mr Meltdown, I could be jumping the gun. This week the spotlight should be Milney's, and these topics will be addressed in one of his upcoming opinion pieces? No doubt Eddie will be looking forward to those... :wink:

PS: Has Milney ever been caught out delivering an outright 'untruth' on national telly :?: Maybe Mr Madhouse is planning on addressing the issue of honesty in the media in a future rant? :idea:
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Mon 30 Apr 2012 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure with the right coaching, Milne could perform to the same level in finals as Leon Davis or Alan Didak

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Wait until GT has a go at Milney on footy classifieds tonight !!!
a couple of blowhards who are constantly stealing others limelight .

In red white and black from 73
citywest

God_Nel wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Mich Shithouse is a d**khead but he is right on this one. In the 3 Grand Finals Milney has always let us down.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
God_Nel wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Mich Shithouse is a d**khead but he is right on this one. In the 3 Grand Finals Milney has always let us down.

As opposed to the other small forwards on the opposition side on those days. Pretty hard for small forwards on GF day. Its bloody hard for any forward on GF day especially in close low scorong GF's. Simple statement by you with bugger all thought.

citywest

[/quote]

Couldn't resist another jab, eh mick?[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I reckon Mich Shithouse is a d**khead but he is right on this one. In the 3 Grand Finals Milney has always let us down.[/quote]

As opposed to the other small forwards on the opposition side on those days. Pretty hard for small forwards on GF day. Its bloody hard for any forward on GF day especially in close low scorong GF's. Simple statement by you with bugger all thought.[/quote]
Maybe so but until Milney kicks 3 or more goals in a Grand Final (hopefully he gets another chance in a GF) Mick Shithouse is right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:AS ST Kilda small forward Stephen Milne revelled in his 500-goal milestone yesterday, his reputation as a big-game performer came under fire from Mick Malthouse.

Couldn't resist another jab, eh mick?[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I reckon Mich Shithouse is a d**khead but he is right on this one. In the 3 Grand Finals Milney has always let us down.[/quote]

As opposed to the other small forwards on the opposition side on those days. Pretty hard for small forwards on GF day. Its bloody hard for any forward on GF day especially in close low scorong GF's. Simple statement by you with bugger all thought.[/quote]
Maybe so but until Milney kicks 3 or more goals in a Grand Final (hopefully he gets another chance in a GF) Mick Shithouse is right.[/quote]

Not if others dont either.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I'm sure with the right coaching, Milne could perform to the same level in finals as Leon Davis or Alan Didak
LMFAO

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I didn't hear where he said it but I don't think that means much. MM could have easily just said "Wonderful career by Milney" and left it at that. Like I said poor timing to share such an opinion. Similar to what Aka said about Brad Johnson I think it was.

I'm sure Milne would roll his eyes at the comment....And I'm sure he won't give a stuff or make it known public anyway.
He could have but he's not paid to be nice; he's paid to give an honest opinion and the edgier the better. I actually enjoy listening to him.

Milne can come out this week and kick 15 goals and people will still bag him..