How Freo got Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How Freo got Ross Lyon

Doesn't really tell us anything we don't know already.

No reference to what occured that had caused him to be 'emotionally out' the Wednesday following the Sydney elimination.

I'm none the wiser.

Points of interest for mine....

He had been frustrated with how it had taken so long for him to reach an agreement with St Kilda, even though he had contributed to some of the delays.

and

So when a cashed-up Fremantle wheeled out a slick Powerpoint presentation outlining the riches of the club, the resources he would have at his disposal and a $3.2 million, four-year deal, in Lyon's eyes it was an offer too good to refuse for his family.So when a cashed-up Fremantle wheeled out a slick Powerpoint presentation outlining the riches of the club, the resources he would have at his disposal and a $3.2 million, four-year deal, in Lyon's eyes it was an offer too good to refuse for his family.

Which I think is the heart of the matter....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/how-fr ... 6333746492

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: How Freo got Ross Lyon

alternate link
for those of us who are cheapskates

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6333742720

agree nothing that leads to the ' emotionally out'

although I wonder if it was the " offer" $$$$ that came in that morning...
noted that Dal - on his GenY show and yeasterday morning on MMM said he hadn't had any contact with Ross since a dinner with the leaders of the playing grup about a week after the change.
http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/ ... hApril.mp3
well i think it was him on MMM
Triple M's Hot Breakfast with Eddie McGuire Podcast
Triple M's Hot Breakfast With Eddie McGuire - 19th April
1) Carl Williams
2) Darce's Bet
3) Lawrence Mooney
4) Nick Del Santo

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Another one, this one is very pro-freo/ross though

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/ ... 1xa1f.html

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What I would like a reporter to ask Ross Lyon is:

"you said when you left St Kildare that it was the 'end of an era'....were you really saying this groups hit its peak and can't be a contender for some time?"

I think deep down, aside from the coin, Lyon looked at the list and said "rebuild time.... can't be @ssed"
I truly am coming to the view that Lyons a great coach to get success from a side/list that already has that core quality group in it.......I'm not convinced he could build from scratch such a list

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Huge pressure on him to deliver some success...

Look out if they are not making the top 4 in the next couple of years.

Who wouldn't prefer to coach a side that is on the way up rather than on the decline?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I just want a refund on the 70 bucks I paid to see a totally unmotivated Lyon not coach us in the final vs. Sydney.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:What I would like a reporter to ask Ross Lyon is:

"you said when you left St Kildare that it was the 'end of an era'....were you really saying this groups hit its peak and can't be a contender for some time?"

I think deep down, aside from the coin, Lyon looked at the list and said "rebuild time.... can't be @ssed"
I truly am coming to the view that Lyons a great coach to get success from a side/list that already has that core quality group in it.......I'm not convinced he could build from scratch such a list
I agree.

He said that in the weeks leading up to his departure.

Scott appears to have convinced the boys they are still hanging around the top of the mountain somewhat, rather than screaming down the other side?

Maybe we are underating his efforts here, because Ross pretty much told the list they were done, retired players etc...

nobhead
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:What I would like a reporter to ask Ross Lyon is:

I agree.

He said that in the weeks leading up to his departure.

Scott appears to have convinced the boys they are still hanging around the top of the mountain somewhat, rather than screaming down the other side?

Maybe we are underating his efforts here, because Ross pretty much told the list they were done, retired players etc...
ross doesn't seem to want to accept the fact that he was the main reason behind the list being done . when imo all he needed to do was to freshen up the group with young players that we had recruited . and have a little patience with them , instead of toping up the list with recycled players from other clubs . our problem for the last 10 years or so ,is not our top 8-10 players is our 2nd teir players imo . if we can get them up and playing a good, consistant brand of footy we can go all the way no doubt . we have those guys at the club eg sippos,ledger.steven, armo, milera,simpkin just to name a few . lyon left for 1 reason only $$$$$$.

philtee
Club Player

Nothing new in Gullan's article. Where are the "betrayals", "shifting goalposts", "incompetence" etc that many on here have darkly hinted at
when they've wanted to bag the Board?
Or just maybe, Gullan tells it exactly as it was.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that I heard a very different figure.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that according to all and sundry (incl Lyons mgmt) the deal was done just required ink to paper.

That is the issue I have with him...it's not the way to conduct business.

#1 Ryder fan