gilbert injury?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gilbert injury?

Any update as to why he was subbed off?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: gilbert injury?

He kicked the ball with his right foot which in turn tore several million neurons in the area of the brain responsible for co-ordination

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
on the outer
Club Player

Reported as a lower back injury in the age.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:He kicked the ball with his right foot which in turn tore several million neurons in the area of the brain responsible for co-ordination
I rate this guy very highly. What happened? Injury report anyone?
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 15 Apr 2012 9:08am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

on the outer wrote:Reported as a lower back injury in the age.

so possibly a hamstring? that is a blow

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Devilhead wrote:He kicked the ball with his right foot which in turn tore several million neurons in the area of the brain responsible for co-ordination
You may not rate him, but I consider him among our most important players. I wasn't at the game. What happened? Injury report anyone?
True I don't rate his right foot

I read somewhere that it could be nerve related in his back causing pain in his hamstring ie sciatica / trapped nerve

Now get back into bed and this time get out the other side and find your sense of humour

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
You may not rate him, but I consider him among our most important players. I wasn't at the game. What happened? Injury report anyone?
True I don't rate his right foot

I read somewhere that it could be nerve related in his back causing pain in his hamstring ie sciatica / trapped nerve

Now get back into bed and this time get out the other side and find your sense of humour
Ah, okay, I found it :wink:

Hope he's okay. Aside from ocassionally dodgy kicking he's a terrific player. IMO he was key to our 2009-2010 campaigns and we need him at his best to threaten this year.

Plenty on here continually bag him and I thought you were one

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Watching the replay on fox, they worked on him for a good half hour before deciding to sub him off, so maybe it's just a niggle that is not serious.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Having injured my back playing sport it looked the same, sciatic nerve was what they were working on. Deferred pain courses down your legs and it's hard to sit in a chair. He may have just bruised it but it really effects your mobility. I wouldn't think he will get up next week if it is.

jays
Club Player

only down side to game

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I hope that it's a "niggle." We will need his height against Freo - Pavlich?

Megsie
Club Player

Re: gilbert 6 day breainjury?n

3aw reported Sam had no discomfort at all after game.
may have been knock to hip. we have another 6 day break
why risk him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: gilbert 6 day breainjury?n

Megsie wrote:3aw reported Sam had no discomfort at all after game.
may have been knock to hip. we have another 6 day break
why risk him.

If he had no discomfort then he isnt being risked surely.

kp83
Club Player

gringo wrote:Having injured my back playing sport it looked the same, sciatic nerve was what they were working on. Deferred pain courses down your legs and it's hard to sit in a chair. He may have just bruised it but it really effects your mobility. I wouldn't think he will get up next week if it is.

It's referred pain, not "deferred."

Just to clear things up a bit, the physio wasn't working on the sciatic nerve. He was working on opening up the facet joints in his lumbar spine. So he either had a nerve root impingement in the back (which can refer pain down the leg) or he has injured a ligament or capsule in one of his low back joints. Generally this would recover quite well with treatment over the week and he should be right for next week. He definitely hasn't bruised his sciatic nerve as this isn't possible, although if he copped a knock in a structure surrounding the nerve (eg gluteal muscle) then this could also cause some discomfort down the leg (although watching the way they were treating him this is unlikely).

Not having a go at your assessment, just adding my knowledge to the thread. Of course, seeing that I didn't assess or treat him I really could be 100% wrong!!

Cheers.

GO SAINTS!!
Last edited by kp83 on Sun 15 Apr 2012 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

you seem to be very learned KP83... are you in the medical line of work?

kp83
Club Player

yep, i'm a physio

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:yep, i'm a physio
Thanks for your input - very much appreciated :)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Michael Roberts was in the rooms after the game for 3MMM I think it was and said he spoke to Gilbo and he said that Gilbo's back was causing him problems with pain and that it was causing his hammy's to tighten up. Said he was struggling to bend down or stand up straight, etc. so they subbed him off. Said that Gilbo said he will absolutely be right to go next week though, or words to that effect, which is great news, as I've had plenty of back problems over the years and if they're bad they can put you out of action for weeks.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Watching the replay on fox, they worked on him for a good half hour before deciding to sub him off, so maybe it's just a niggle that is not serious.
Collingwood medicos would have sent him back out to battle. :lol: :lol:

8856brother wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Watching the replay on fox, they worked on him for a good half hour before deciding to sub him off, so maybe it's just a niggle that is not serious.
I know your comment is tongue in cheek so this is not aimed at you, but I got really mad at Damien Barret this morning on the footy show questioning the Collingwood medicos. He's an f***ing journo with no medical knowledge at all and he has the nerve to question their professional ability. I have no doubt at all that they made the right call and they just got unlucky that he had another incident in the same game that caused the ACL to pop.
The more and more I'm forced to listen to that flog Barrett the more he ticks me off.
Anyway, rant over.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
I know your comment is tongue in cheek so this is not aimed at you, but I got really mad at Damien Barret this morning on the footy show questioning the Collingwood medicos. He's an f***ing journo with no medical knowledge at all and he has the nerve to question their professional ability. I have no doubt at all that they made the right call and they just got unlucky that he had another incident in the same game that caused the ACL to pop.
The more and more I'm forced to listen to that flog Barrett the more he ticks me off.
Anyway, rant over.
Barrett is a flog...that's why he worked for flog media with the biggest flog of all...like peas in a pod...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
To the top
SS Life Member

Came back out early after half time, walked around the boundary and proceeded to have treatment on his back before standing and shaking his head - which was when Cripps was subbed on.

Stayed on the bench and was walking around the ground after the game bare footed - didn't seem to be in any discomfort.