Shaun Higgins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Shaun Higgins

Was Dempstered big time

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shaun Higgins

Always been an overated dud.

dcstkfc wrote:Was Dempstered big time
+1 :)

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Soft

And Dempster is a high quality player

quidnunc
Club Player

Whilst listening to Gerard Healy bemoaning Armo's possession rate I could but not wonder why Gerard had no such opinion for Shaun Higgins who did seem to struggle for any sought of possession.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Fazer
Club Player

I think Gerard was actually being genuine in his thoughts about Armo, almost encouraging him to take the next step - as he was of Stanley. It was big fat head Dunstal who was giving me the sh*ts all night. At one point he mentioned how embarrassing it would be if Milne misses the set shot with a snap across the body from 10 metres out instead of going back and kicking the straight drop punt. He also didn't like Stanley turning his back on the play to walk back and take his kick on goal, amongst other things. Pffft.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Fazer wrote:I think Gerard was actually being genuine in his thoughts about Armo, almost encouraging him to take the next step - as he was of Stanley. It was big fat head Dunstal who was giving me the sh*ts all night. At one point he mentioned how embarrassing it would be if Milne misses the set shot with a snap across the body from 10 metres out instead of going back and kicking the straight drop punt. He also didn't like Stanley turning his back on the play to walk back and take his kick on goal, amongst other things. Pffft.

Both those comments sound 100% correct.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Fazer wrote:I think Gerard was actually being genuine in his thoughts about Armo, almost encouraging him to take the next step - as he was of Stanley. It was big fat head Dunstal who was giving me the sh*ts all night. At one point he mentioned how embarrassing it would be if Milne misses the set shot with a snap across the body from 10 metres out instead of going back and kicking the straight drop punt. He also didn't like Stanley turning his back on the play to walk back and take his kick on goal, amongst other things. Pffft.

Don't get all 'logic' on us...

Fazer
Club Player

You need to have heard the context it was said in. Even though I understand not turning your back on the play, one of the commentators remarked Stanley must be confident in making the distance as he walked back from the mark, to which Dunstal mumbled I don't like that. It's ok when Buddy does it though. He had a look and there was nobody in a better position, and furthermore maybe he's been encouraged to have a ping when in distance, especially when earlier in the game he tried to pinpoint a pass inside 50 that was easily chopped out. In fact with the recent articles in the paper about working on his confidence, it wouldn't surprise me if he's been instructed to take a shot unless there's somebody 40 metres in the clear.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Why because you have to do you? I like it when someone has the confidence to go back and slot it not be trying to find team mates to unload it off to. And I will back Milne 9 out of 10 times kicking around the body about 50/50 on the set shot. More embarrassing when Rooey goes back directly in front and f%$#s the kick up - maybe Roo should start running off his line instead.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Fazer wrote:You need to have heard the context it was said in. Even though I understand not turning your back on the play, one of the commentators remarked Stanley must be confident in making the distance as he walked back from the mark, to which Dunstal mumbled I don't like that. It's ok when Buddy does it though. He had a look and there was nobody in a better position, and furthermore maybe he's been encouraged to have a ping when in distance, especially when earlier in the game he tried to pinpoint a pass inside 50 that was easily chopped out. In fact with the recent articles in the paper about working on his confidence, it wouldn't surprise me if he's been instructed to take a shot unless there's somebody 40 metres in the clear.

It was a big part of the Pies style a couple of years ago. If a player had it in range they had a shot on goal and backed themselves to cause a turn over on the ball coming back out. They used to just pepper teams into submission.

westy
Club Player

Sam Newman was right, Dumstall is an ape and a relic from a bygone age!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The disappointing part about that was that a "DEMPSTERED" fan who had her "DEMPSTERED" T Shirt personally delivered by tricycle was NOT wearing said "DEMPSTERED" T Shirt last night :shock: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Who the hell is Shaun Higgins?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Who the hell is Shaun Higgins?

He is an over active thyroid.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I didn't think he played last night.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

The disappointing part about that was that a "DEMPSTERED" fan who had her "DEMPSTERED" T Shirt personally delivered by tricycle was NOT wearing said "DEMPSTERED" T Shirt last night :shock: :wink: !!
I wear mine proudly.

Even though I hesitated, realising the limited quantity lends itself to probably advertising who I am :oops:

However I can't help it, I love the shirt, and it's the perfect accessory to getting up and yelling 'go seany'

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Always been an overated dud.
I concur although i think more accurately Higgins has evolved into a dud..

A dud nonetheless.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
vacuous space
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
I concur..Higgins has evolved into a dud
So he gets a quality defender assigned to him, winds up with 22 possessions playing some forward in a loss where they got smashed and he's a dud? Meh. I'd still happily take him in this team if given the option.

I don't think Dempster was playing tight on anybody. Did a great job on intercept marks and was matched up on talls quite a few times. Watters' defence is even zonier than Lyon's.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree VS

Sean can play really tall, knows just when to launch at a contest on a guy who towers above him.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Sean can play really tall, knows just when to launch at a contest on a guy who towers above him.
I said last night to anybody unfortunate enough to sit near me that he looked like another Sam Fisher. IMO, he was best afield.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
So he gets a quality defender assigned to him, winds up with 22 possessions playing some forward in a loss where they got smashed and he's a dud? Meh. I'd still happily take him in this team if given the option.

I don't think Dempster was playing tight on anybody. Did a great job on intercept marks and was matched up on talls quite a few times. Watters' defence is even zonier than Lyon's.
I don't agree with your opinion, mine is not based on one game but Meh, everyone is entitled to voice their opinion..

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
SainterK wrote:Sean can play really tall, knows just when to launch at a contest on a guy who towers above him.
I said last night to anybody unfortunate enough to sit near me that he looked like another Sam Fisher. IMO, he was best afield.
It's a credit to himself, such an incredibly hard worker, so happy he came from the Swans with Schneider...that really was a good trade for us.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

what does that mean?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Watters' defence is even zonier than Lyon's.
what does that mean?
That Watters defence utitises zones more than Lyon's. Lyon used to pin Dawson and Dempster to dangerous forwards. Last night it didn't look like anybody was tied to a direct opponent.