Guess this weeks ins and outs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Guess this weeks ins and outs

I know people havent been able to sleep waiting for this topic. Well i havent look at the time.
So here we go and a bit of a change this year. Reason for the changes but only if you want to. i would never tell people what to do or how they should think. Actually i think I do do that. Anyway back to the topic.

Ins tonight
Ross, Wilkes, Ledger, Simpkin
Out
Polo

Final
in Ross, need another mid. Ledger obviously fit this week or gods knows why he was out

Out
Polo, suspended Ray last in first out after a bad game.

2 mids for 2 older mids. Simpkin unlucky but Blake did well and we cant have 3 young guys all in at once.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Guess this weeks ins and outs

Out: Polo, Armitage, and one of Ray or Peake

In: Simpkin, Ross, Ledger

Wilkes won't replace Blake, and he won't replace Riewoldt or Koschitzke, so I'd be surprised if he was selected. From what I've seen of Ross, he is already a better player than Armitage. I have been very patient with Armitage and willing him to do well, but I have to now admit that he has shortcomings that outweigh his attributes. I admire his aggression and bravery, but being second to the ball most of the time and being unable to spread from a congested area to provide running support are two things that are detrimental to this team.

Three youngsters might be too much, but it will send a message to senior players who might not be completely switched on. And really, are there any seasoned AFL players who are available to replace those who performed poorly last week? I've gone through the list and I can't find any (Schneider, Gwilt, Gram, and Clarke all injured)

Opportunity is definitely knocking for the youngsters.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Intersting to read the comments on Ross, ppl who have seen him play think he is ready now. To those who see Sandy play, how highly do you rate him, could he be an A grader in a few years?

I love this club
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

In Ross Saad Ledger

Out Peake Ray Polo

Didn't see Ross/Saad play but definitely saw Peake and Rays efforts.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In
Ledger
Ross (sub)

Out
Polo
Armitage or Ray

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Out: Polo, Armitage, and one of Ray or Peake

In: Simpkin, Ross, Ledger

Wilkes won't replace Blake, and he won't replace Riewoldt or Koschitzke, so I'd be surprised if he was selected. From what I've seen of Ross, he is already a better player than Armitage. I have been very patient with Armitage and willing him to do well, but I have to now admit that he has shortcomings that outweigh his attributes. I admire his aggression and bravery, but being second to the ball most of the time and being unable to spread from a congested area to provide running support are two things that are detrimental to this team.

Three youngsters might be too much, but it will send a message to senior players who might not be completely switched on. And really, are there any seasoned AFL players who are available to replace those who performed poorly last week? I've gone through the list and I can't find any (Schneider, Gwilt, Gram, and Clarke all injured)

Opportunity is definitely knocking for the youngsters.

I agree except on Armitage. True he hasn't been great but he can win a hard ball and outside Hayes we are struggling here. He's also younger than Ray who is invisible most of time. Keep youth right now IMO

Out polo/ray

In Ross/ledger

Would like to see what Wilkes can offer us up fwd soon also

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I know people havent been able to sleep waiting for this topic. Well i havent look at the time.
So here we go and a bit of a change this year. Reason for the changes but only if you want to. i would never tell people what to do or how they should think. Actually i think I do do that. Anyway back to the topic.

Ins tonight
Out
Polo

Final
in Ross, need another mid. Ledger obviously fit this week or gods knows why he was out

Out

2 mids for 2 older mids. Simpkin unlucky but Blake did well and we cant have 3 young guys all in at once.
I like it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

In : Simpkin, Ledger, Ross

Out : Blake, Ray, Polo

Emergencies : Wilkes, Ray, Winmar

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

In Ledger Saad
Out Polo Ray

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Final

In: Ledger & Ross
Out: Polo & Ray

Cripps sub

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

in; Simpkin, Siposs, Ledger, Wilkes

out; Polo, Ray, Peake, Blake

* I think Ross needs to show more in the VFL first
* use this game to go Riewoldt on the wing - and give Wilkes a bonofide go in the goal square (Kosi at CHF)

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Just a suggestion.

Is the 'or' feature really necessary?

eg. OUT Ray or Armitage.

The whole point is making the tough decision and omitting/elevating a player.

We could all 'or' the whole team in and 'or' the entire team out.... But that wouldnt be much fun would it.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Final

Cripps sub
Give Cripps an extended run starting before relegating him to the subs vest however if he continues to get subbed out then put the vest on him. My point being is that give him a few more weeks.

Where has the love for Saad gone? He was almost first picked in everyones' starting 18 and now he barely gets a mention.

Out: Polo, Ray and Blake

In: Ledger, Ross and Simpkin.

If one of the youngens gets injured or looks way off the pace (bar Simpkin being a key back) then it should be a swap for Saad at the next selection meeting.

Richter
SS Life Member

IN: Ledger, Ross, (Wilkes, Simpkin, Winmar)
OUT: Polo (susp/omitted), Ray (omitted)

(Initially part of extended squad omitted at the end)

SUB: Peake

-----------------

Reasons for choices - must get contested ball winners in to the squad. We were bottom in that stat last week out of all teams. You cannot consistently win games of footy without a stark improvment in this area.

Wilkes is back-up for talls, Simpkin for defenders, Winmar pressuring outside players (primarily Peake).

Play Cripps as a rebounding half back to provide some run from the back in the absence of Gram and on top of Gilbo and Sam Fish who are having to play more defensively in the absence/loss of Gwilt, Baker, Dawson and because Dempster, Geary and Blake are GOPs at best.
Montagna, Ledger and Steven the 'spreading' clearance mids.
Hayes, Armitage, Ross, Jones the inside mids.
Dal and Goddard do their usual thing.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

Cripps sub
Give Cripps an extended run starting before relegating him to the subs vest however if he continues to get subbed out then put the vest on him. My point being is that give him a few more weeks.

Where has the love for Saad gone? He was almost first picked in everyones' starting 18 and now he barely gets a mention.

If one of the youngens gets injured or looks way off the pace (bar Simpkin being a key back) then it should be a swap for Saad at the next selection meeting.
No shame in wearing the subs vest, look at Rodan last weekend. You can still expect near on 30% game time (35-40 mins). I just hope we get the sub right this week. I don't think Ross or Ledger should start with the vest because they are both contested ball winners. We need them to be there when the game is hot. That leaves Cripps, Peake or Milera as the potential subs. Milera was the best performed so he plays maximum game time, so it's out of Cripps and Peake who both struggled against PA. Barring injuries I would like to see one of Stanley, McEvoy or Kosi subbed off - preferably Kosi who really struggles after half time.

On the point of Saad, the Sandy reports have him as being quite disappointing that's why a lot have fallen off the bandwagon.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Today:
IN: Ledger, Wilkes, Simpkin, Saad
OUT: Polo

Final:
OUT: Ray & Polo
IN: Ledger & Simpkin

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Scott Watters said today in his press confrence that one maybe two players could challenge for selection.
I reckon
IN: Ledger, Newnes
OUT: Polo, Ray

Sainter for life.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

IN: Ledger
OUT: Polo (susp)

Too early to tell Watters' predilection for change so I'm working on the theory that he'll give Ray enough rope to hang himself - when he does get dropped, he won't be back.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

We need to make at least 2 changes to the mid rotations, with Polo out and Ray and Peake not performing last match... IMO all three should make way... Unlikely...

So, out for mine are Polo and Ray, in Ledger and Ross... Peake as the sub...

I'd also like to see Simpkin in for Blake... There is just no use in Blake being in the side... Mixed messages from last weeks match, some thought he was ok... I thought he was deplorable...

If we play finals this year, it's more than likely that Simpkin will have cemented his spot, and if we aren't good enough to make the final 8, then its even more pointless in playing Blake looking to next year, so Simpkin must be given a decent shot...

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Cripps sub

No shame in wearing the subs vest, look at Rodan last weekend. You can still expect near on 30% game time (35-40 mins). I just hope we get the sub right this week. I don't think Ross or Ledger should start with the vest because they are both contested ball winners. We need them to be there when the game is hot. That leaves Cripps, Peake or Milera as the potential subs. Milera was the best performed so he plays maximum game time, so it's out of Cripps and Peake who both struggled against PA. Barring injuries I would like to see one of Stanley, McEvoy or Kosi subbed off - preferably Kosi who really struggles after half time.

On the point of Saad, the Sandy reports have him as being quite disappointing that's why a lot have fallen off the bandwagon.
I would much rather Cripps plays the full game/at least attempts to considering his age and our desire to find out what he does well/if he is up to it rather quickly.

Whilst I agree that there is no shame in wearing the subs vest I believe a player like Brett Peake is best suited due to his pace. His skills are pretty ordinary however someone like him could make an impact against tiring oppositions.

If Cripps struggles in the second half of matches however and his first half form warrants staying in the 22 then he should be made the substitute until he can develop more of an engine.

Milera stays on the park and we should not have a player like Ross or Ledger as a substitute much like Armitage due to the lack of pace and the tough, ball-winning abilities.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Id like to see Ross come in hes a true midfielder not just a bloke that can push through there. Ledger I thinks a must also. Peake- Sub

Polo and Ray --out

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I love you Plugger…
Think you're on the money this time,

More ball winning needed

In

Ledger Ross

Out

Polo Ray (Cripps lucky)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
I would much rather Cripps plays the full game/at least attempts to considering his age and our desire to find out what he does well/if he is up to it rather quickly.

Whilst I agree that there is no shame in wearing the subs vest I believe a player like Brett Peake is best suited due to his pace. His skills are pretty ordinary however someone like him could make an impact against tiring oppositions.

If Cripps struggles in the second half of matches however and his first half form warrants staying in the 22 then he should be made the substitute until he can develop more of an engine.

Milera stays on the park and we should not have a player like Ross or Ledger as a substitute much like Armitage due to the lack of pace and the tough, ball-winning abilities.
I'd prefer Peake to be the sub than Cripps.....Just think Watters will go with a younger player this week. It looks like we're in agreement of what type of player should be sub.....We've really struggled to get it right since it's introduction

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Ins Ledger, Ross and Saad as Sub.
Out Polo (susp), Ray and Peake

shmic_s
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Ins tonight
Out
Polo

Final

Out
What he said.

Would like to see Simpkin get a run soon.