If Lyon was our coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If Lyon was our coach

and had chosen the 25 man squad that Watters has, he would have been absolutely crucified by the Lyon haters on here.

Seems very same old same old with maybe Ledger and possibly Stanley in the team.

Obviously Watter cant develop the kids, or give them a go.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Lyon was our coach

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/fresh-s ... 6313350392

interesting first sentence by the journo.................

saint4life
Middo
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:and had chosen the 25 man squad that Watters has, he would have been absolutely crucified by the Lyon haters on here.

Seems very same old same old with maybe Ledger and possibly Stanley in the team.

He's not so who gives a F*** !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Siposs, 19; Cripps, 19; Ledger, 20; Stanley, 21; Steven, 22; McEvoy, 22; Geary, 23; Armitage, 23. A third of the selected squad is younger than Terry Milera. Three of them have played five games or less. Stanley has played less than ten. Lyon may have played a younger, less experienced squad at some point. He wouldn't have done it often.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

Lucky I applied my wait 10 seconds before posting rule :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Siposs, 19; Cripps, 19; Ledger, 20; Stanley, 21; Steven, 22; McEvoy, 22; Geary, 23; Armitage, 23. A third of the selected squad is younger than Terry Milera. Three of them have played five games or less. Stanley has played less than ten. Lyon may have played a younger, less experienced squad at some point. He wouldn't have done it often.
It's imperative that we get away to a good start and we are playing a team that has traditionally caused problems for us, particularly on their own dung hill.

No need for Scott to get too adventurous, too soon.

Let's just try and jag the 4 points.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:Siposs, 19; Cripps, 19; Ledger, 20; Stanley, 21; Steven, 22; McEvoy, 22; Geary, 23; Armitage, 23. A third of the selected squad is younger than Terry Milera. Three of them have played five games or less. Stanley has played less than ten. Lyon may have played a younger, less experienced squad at some point. He wouldn't have done it often.
The point is who Ross would have played this year, not this time last year. With Ledger, Cripps and Siposs now over their injuries and in a position to build on the games they played last year, Ross would have chosen roughly the same team that Watters chose. Nothing new there.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

crippa2sipa wrote:The point is who Ross would have played this year, not this time last year.
The point was Lyon would have been crucified for selecting this team. The reasons offered were that it's too same old, same old and that Watters didn't select enough kids.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Loxton
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Very early days yet joffaboy, lets get the season off to a solid start with the best available proven team available.

Who really knows what Lyon would have picked for round one.

How could you possibly know if Watters cant develop the kids, they have had a taste in the NAB, the ready ones will force their way in and it will not be long before they do.

Ease up old boy

crippa2sipa
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:The point is who Ross would have played this year, not this time last year.
The point was Lyon would have been crucified for selecting this team. The reasons offered were that it's too same old, same old
Agreed. And my point is that it is too same old, same old, given the kids Lyon played last year in Ledger Cripps and Siposs and would have continued playing but for injury.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Kind of dissapointed with a few of the selections for round one thus far. I personally believe that ray and peake should not be in the same side together and that one of them has to miss out for a saad or milera type. We have seen what they offer us over the last couple of season and whilst being serviceable it is time to give someone else a shot with more upside. If the rumours are true i would have liked to see sippos in the 22 against the power.

My team would be something like this:

B: Dempster, Blake , Geary
HB: Goddard, Fisher, Gilbert
C: Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Steven, Riewoldt, Ledger
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Stanley
Foll: McEvoy, Jones, Armitage
Int from: Milera, Cripps, Siposs Sub: Peake Emg: Saad, Wilkes, Ray

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
felix
Club Player

Watching Ross Lyon coaching another team is like your girlfriend dumping you and going out with your best mate.
Hope he doesn't win a game. Did anyone notice Parkin on league teams he was all over
Milera he loved him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

way too early to call jb. lets wait on the 22.

ross 25 often involved youngsters. but they were always emergencies (how many times were walsh, lynch and winmar emergencies?)

fact = st kilda have lowest number of games played by players under 25 in the afl.

this is a fact - not an anti ross lyon conspiracy. its a hard fact.

so yes if blake AND wilkes AND polo all play ill be upset.

re-do your post in 24 hours.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:way too early to call jb. lets wait on the 22.

ross 25 often involved youngsters. but they were always emergencies (how many times were walsh, lynch and winmar emergencies?)

fact = st kilda have lowest number of games played by players under 25 in the afl.

this is a fact - not an anti ross lyon conspiracy. its a hard fact.

so yes if blake AND wilkes AND polo all play ill be upset.

re-do your post in 24 hours.
I think Joff is trying to make a point about Lyon haters.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Steven, McEvoy and Armitage are all certainties. Siposs was given an extended run last year before looking plain tired (which is okay for a first year). Ledger would have played more had he not been injured. Stanley was tried and failed. Geary seems a gop and nothing else. Oh and Cripps was injured too.

From this Lyon would have probably only played Ledger anyway. Considering Siposs is another year in it seems that he has more of a chance/fitness/opportunity to play longer. Cripps played all matches as the sub and then became injured too.

Watters now benefits from our potential good younger players being a year older too and the ones that have played have already shown a bit.

We cannot play a whole bunch of kids at the same time either just for the sake of it. It is a long season and injuries happen to all so they will all get their chances throughout and if fit enough and good enough will stay in the side.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SACK THE BOARD NOW.

FAIR DINKUM Clue-less-sheep-clowns.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix
Saintsational Legend

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

mmm

don't think many people were "Lyon haters" in his first season at the club

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:mmm

Plenty were in his last.

Didn't play the kids in 09 or 10. If he had done so, we could be challenging for a flag in 2012 (just forget that we ACTUALLY challenged for the flag in 09 and 10).

Really, all Watter has shown is that a knowledgable coach will chose the best team available and the one he thinks will win him the game. No hysterical "just play the kids" or "just play Tommy", a considered approach to the available talent, and the fact that there are four competition points available.

Pav was correct, I was pointing out the simplistic thoughtlessness behind the "play the kids" mantra (just like the "man up" mantra, and the "kick it up the guts" mantra you hear from supporters at the game who cant grasp the basics of a zone or a press :D ).

How come nobody is calling out Watters on choosing Blake and Ray and Polo when we have all the "kids" to blood???????

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

You DARE to insert facts into a debate about team selections!

8-)

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

crippa2sipa wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
The point was Lyon would have been crucified for selecting this team. The reasons offered were that it's too same old, same old
Agreed. And my point is that it is too same old, same old, given the kids Lyon played last year in Ledger Cripps and Siposs and would have continued playing but for injury.
+1

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Plenty were in his last.

Didn't play the kids in 09 or 10. If he had done so, we could be challenging for a flag in 2012 (just forget that we ACTUALLY challenged for the flag in 09 and 10).

Really, all Watter has shown is that a knowledgable coach will chose the best team available and the one he thinks will win him the game. No hysterical "just play the kids" or "just play Tommy", a considered approach to the available talent, and the fact that there are four competition points available.

Pav was correct, I was pointing out the simplistic thoughtlessness behind the "play the kids" mantra (just like the "man up" mantra, and the "kick it up the guts" mantra you hear from supporters at the game who cant grasp the basics of a zone or a press :D ).

How come nobody is calling out Watters on choosing Blake and Ray and Polo when we have all the "kids" to blood???????
Because Watters is the greatest thing to happen in this world, because he is currently a saints Coach.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Plenty were in his last.

ur actually misrepresenting the argument though so ur points not valid

the argument amongst some at least was play the kids VS underperforming senior players

nobody was calling for Ray's head or Peakes's head in 09-10 respectively when they were playing pbly their best seasons. nobody wanted Mini dropped from 09 team when he was playing really well...
Mini shouldn't have kept his spot in 2010, Ray could have be rotated a bit in 2010 as well and so forth

Plenty were having a dig at RL in his last year because concerns about his team selection had begun in 2010 and with success deserting us in 11 people began reflecting on his strategy and not seeing it.

Many feel like myself that if he had done a few things differently, that we could not only have won 09-10 but developed some kids along the way as well and not looked like a spent force preseason 2012

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

NAH. You people just don't get it. If Lyon had of got significant game time into Miles, Johnson and Cahill etc in 09-10, the 2008 draft would have been a bonanza and we'd still be challenging for the flag.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.