Great story on Watters in the HS tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Great story on Watters in the HS tomorrow

Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Great story on Watters in the HS tomorrow

Love to read it, but not enough to 'sign up' to a newspaper like the Herald Sun. That would be like actually buying it, or supporting the Murdoch Mafia.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Love to read it, but not enough to 'sign up' to a newspaper like the Herald Sun. That would be like actually buying it, or supporting the Murdoch Mafia.
didnt know they delivered in france austinn :-) :)

The Jeff
Club Player

Yep. That is a brilliant article.

When you read something like that, you just can't help but feel optimistic.

FQF
saintDal
Club Player

A way to get around having to pay for it is to google the headline.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6310780192

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought it was disrespectful to the previous coaching staff. How quickly everyone forgets that we came within a whisker of winning the flag with inferior teams under Lyon. Yes I know he's not the most popular bloke in the world with saints fans, but we shouldn't rubbish his legacy.

Just maybe it was that maniacal hard work that everyone despised that got the group to where it was?

Watters sounds the part and makes a lot of sense. No doubt we needed a boost in the PR stakes. However so far he has done nothing, and already he has been painted as the Messiah. I'm tipping that if we don't win 4 of our first 6 games, his honeymoon period may well come to an end - and Saintsational will be one of the first places to ruin the party....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Jeff wrote:Yep. That is a brilliant article.

Pretty damming of Lyon. Hardly any days off, closed shop, unhappy players.

Glad the turd has left St. Kilda!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
The Jeff wrote:Yep. That is a brilliant article.

Pretty damming of Lyon. Hardly any days off, closed shop, unhappy players.

Glad the turd has left St. Kilda!

That turd, as you call him, almost got us to not one but two flags.

Hope Watters turns out to be a bigger turd if thats the case.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I actually thought it was disrespectful to the previous coaching staff. How quickly everyone forgets that we came within a whisker of winning the flag with inferior teams under Lyon. Yes I know he's not the most popular bloke in the world with saints fans, but we shouldn't rubbish his legacy.

Just maybe it was that maniacal hard work that everyone despised that got the group to where it was?

Watters sounds the part and makes a lot of sense. No doubt we needed a boost in the PR stakes. However so far he has done nothing, and already he has been painted as the Messiah. I'm tipping that if we don't win 4 of our first 6 games, his honeymoon period may well come to an end - and Saintsational will be one of the first places to ruin the party....
Sure, we came close to a flag a couple of times with Lyon- but ultimately became just another bunch of also-rans, so his methods didn't work. Let's look forward to a healthy future, as I feel there is a lot of building being done to ensure the future of the club, and if there's positivity and good communication around the club, then there is a lot more likelyhood of achieving success.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It's a nice feel good. Agree it was probably time to throw curtains back as Watters is doing... Can he coach? We'll see...

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sure, we came close to a flag a couple of times with Lyon- but ultimately became just another bunch of also-rans, so his methods didn't work. Let's look forward to a healthy future, as I feel there is a lot of building being done to ensure the future of the club, and if there's positivity and good communication around the club, then there is a lot more likelyhood of achieving success.

It's interesting how ppl measure success or should I say, a good coach. Using a flag as the only barometer is fraught with danger I reckon. There is an excellent argument to make that if Lyon was coaching a team with more talent, then he would be a dual premiership coach now. Sure our top 6 was as good as any going around in it's day - BUT our bottom 6 were probably as poor as any in the top 8 in those years. Many of the so-called experts will tell you it's that those bottom 6-8 players that win you a flag. How we managed a draw against a team that had thumped every other team in the comp in the 2nd half of the season in 2010 still amazes me. That's with our best player (and at that time the best player in the comp) missing most of the year as well. Can Lyon Coach? In my eyes, it's not even a question. He's proven it and then some.

To look at Lyon's legacy and say that he was just another coaching failure for our club is looking at things in a very bitter way. He wasn't perfect. But he brought a level of professionalism to the playing group I don't reckon has ever been seen at our club. I prefer to look at the positive things that both GT and Lyon brought to the saints. They have given me some great moments in the past 9 years. To place Watters on some giant pedastal in only setting him up to fail. He may be a very very good coach - but chances are, he won't win a flag for many years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How on earth is it disrespectful?

Goodness, none of the other clubs new coaches have copped this kind of heat on entering the club.

Only at St Kilda will the fans have a go at you no matter what you do.

If he'd left things exactly how they were, then there would be a thread about how he is to much of a coward to change.

Guaranteed.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a terrible article in some ways. The positivity is great but it's just spin and the stuff about the previous coaching regime is pretty bad. Wonder where that all came form?? safe to say it wasn't the coach...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:How on earth is it disrespectful?

Goodness, none of the other clubs new coaches have copped this kind of heat on entering the club.

If he'd left things exactly how they were, then there would be a thread about how he is to much of a coward to change.

Guaranteed.

“C’mon SainterK, of course it’s disrespectful to Rossy. He installed those blinds himself!”

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You always make me smile Spacey.

Speaking of Roos, did anyone see last night on FC when Grant called him the 'minister of my way' :)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Guaranteed.

You've misinterpreted what I said SainterK. I agree that so far Scott seems to be going just fine. It wasn't he that I thought I was disrespectful - it was the article and the tone it was written. I agree, things needed a change. But the article was almost derogatory twds Ross and his methods. It's no secret that the media didn't particularly like Ross. RL certainly played a role in that. The club did need to become more open with it's supporters. Let's face it though - we can be as open as we like, but all anyone really cares about is how we go once they run onto the field (well that's all I care about)

I haven't read too many other articles where the new coaches are described as a 'breath of fresh air'either. This implies that the air had become decidedly stale under the old regime. It's curious that the club would allow that type of attitude to permeate to the media, when in fact it was Ross who walked and the club was trying to sign him to a new contract in September last year. If his methods and ways were soo stale and he had lost players, why were tyhey trying to sign him up?

All I'm saying is that a positive article can be written about Watters without putting down the previous coach (especially when you consider that the previous coach had coached the team into 4 finals series, including 3 GF's, and a prelim)

BTW - In what way did I have a go watters?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:I actually thought it was disrespectful to the previous coaching staff. How quickly everyone forgets that we came within a whisker of winning the flag with inferior teams under Lyon. Yes I know he's not the most popular bloke in the world with saints fans, but we shouldn't rubbish his legacy.

I agree. The previous coach nearly won a flag we an almost stupidly unbalanced playing list of the great players and the downright shithouse (not including the draftees/rookies). He must have been doing something right to fill up the team with the shithouse players and get them doing something beneficial at some point.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Really liked what I read. I get the feeling he's exactly what we needed as a club and playing group at this time.
Hearing good things about what's going on at Sandy, as well and it looks to be paying off for them. The 2nd half of this page is worth a read I reckon, from about post 235 onwards, talking about the differences they've observed between Sandy this year and in the past few years. Considering St Kilda and Sandy are much closer aligned this year, it augurs well for us: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... 85&page=20

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

I think it was just a feel good read that all 4 clubs with new coaches will get this week...

A nice fluff piece to get us excited about the new year, but also to come from a higher base to tear us down if the wheels fall off...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

Guaranteed.

You've misinterpreted what I said SainterK. I agree that so far Scott seems to be going just fine. It wasn't he that I thought I was disrespectful - it was the article and the tone it was written. I agree, things needed a change. But the article was almost derogatory twds Ross and his methods. It's no secret that the media didn't particularly like Ross. RL certainly played a role in that. The club did need to become more open with it's supporters. Let's face it though - we can be as open as we like, but all anyone really cares about is how we go once they run onto the field (well that's all I care about)

I haven't read too many other articles where the new coaches are described as a 'breath of fresh air'either. This implies that the air had become decidedly stale under the old regime. It's curious that the club would allow that type of attitude to permeate to the media, when in fact it was Ross who walked and the club was trying to sign him to a new contract in September last year. If his methods and ways were soo stale and he had lost players, why were tyhey trying to sign him up?

All I'm saying is that a positive article can be written about Watters without putting down the previous coach (especially when you consider that the previous coach had coached the team into 4 finals series, including 3 GF's, and a prelim)

BTW - In what way did I have a go watters?
Wasn't really directed at you Moods.

It's the whole vibe.

You know, how Roos said Watters disrespected Lyon and all that.

Dogs players have said they have heaps more meetings now, but nobody seems to be saying that Eade should feel offended that they are implying that had no real strategy.

The fact that Watters had to address the 'disrespecting' subject at the season launch is a real shame IMO

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Personally I don't care if it is just fluff - good feel piece- It's good to be reading that and not some of the alternatives
drink
bad boys
injuries
in juries
bad luck
weekends
horrors
etc etc

for the attraction of the sometime, maybe I will join, sound as if they are ok, what can they offer me type of Supporter then this sort of media can only be good,

for the less addicted, the only read the paper and not online type of supporter then this form of news is good.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Happy enough with positive reporting.
What sort of coach he is, will become apparent in due course.
Contrasts with Lyon fine by me.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:I think it's a terrible article in some ways. The positivity is great but it's just spin and the stuff about the previous coaching regime is pretty bad. Wonder where that all came form?? safe to say it wasn't the coach...
Totally agree.

There was no substance to the article whatsoever. There is a fresh coach at the club, with fresh ideas and a more friendly approach. Great, but we've known about this since November.

Is anyone going to care if Watters has his office door open or shut, come mid-year and we're in a scrap to keep our finals hopes alive? It's just Herald Sun fluff.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I think it's a terrible article in some ways. The positivity is great but it's just spin and the stuff about the previous coaching regime is pretty bad. Wonder where that all came form?? safe to say it wasn't the coach...
Totally agree.

There was no substance to the article whatsoever. There is a fresh coach at the club, with fresh ideas and a more friendly approach. Great, but we've known about this since November.

Is anyone going to care if Watters has his office door open or shut, come mid-year and we're in a scrap to keep our finals hopes alive? It's just Herald Sun fluff.
Its either the Herald Sun are out to get us, and they hate us. But a good feel article gets printed, then that still isint good enough..

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
Totally agree.

Its either the Herald Sun are out to get us, and they hate us. But a good feel article gets printed, then that still isint good enough..
Nothing wrong with a good feel IMHO....