Stanley showing good signs..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stanley showing good signs..

Tonight and his last game, Stanley has shown good signs of developing in a key forward for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley showing good signs..

Worked into the game hasn't he.

Took one thing working out for him, and his confidence was up, so he really seems to need the belief levels up a bit.

I really think Scott is going to persist with all of Roo, Kosi, Ben and Stanley.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Worked into the game hasn't he.

Took one thing working out for him, and his confidence was up, so he really seems to need the belief levels up a bit.

I really think Scott is going to persist with all of Roo, Kosi, Ben and Stanley.
How though?

Kosi is going to place close to goal or as a follower/ruckman.

Roo should play CHF or deep when Kosi is on the ball.

Ben has to ruck most games.

Stanley plays where? We cannot and should not have 3 tall forward in the same forward line when only one has proven he can chase and tackle.

He has had a smother, a cheap sub-Cripps like goal and one mark? Whoop-dee-do?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

How though?

Stanley plays where? We cannot and should not have 3 tall forward in the same forward line when only one has proven he can chase and tackle.

And has not done a lot since....he might make it though...big guys need a long long time to come good...patience required....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

How though?

I dunno.

I just have a feeling they all start Rd 1.

Could be wrong.

defacto
Club Player

I expected him and roo to do better. No glass or hurn for wce

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Rhys is showing some good signs. He's contesting pretty well, and his second-efforts and 1%ers were quite good.

Not sure how well the team will be balance-wise if we stick with such a top-heavy forward line (Roo, Kosi, Rhys).

I know Collingwood have loaded up their forward line in the last couple of seasons at times (Cloke, Dawes, Brown and then Jolly floating down), but the likes of Dawes and Brown were more agile than Kosi and Rhys.

The Bluff
Club Player

I thought he looked pretty good last night, if he keeps building in confidence he could be anything. With his height and speed could be the perfect forward for the modern game.

PJ
SS Life Member

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Rhys is showing some good signs. He's contesting pretty well, and his second-efforts and 1%ers were quite good.

Not sure how well the team will be balance-wise if we stick with such a top-heavy forward line (Roo, Kosi, Rhys).

I know Collingwood have loaded up their forward line in the last couple of seasons at times (Cloke, Dawes, Brown and then Jolly floating down), but the likes of Dawes and Brown were more agile than Kosi and Rhys.
I'm not sure Dawes and Brown were more agile than Stanley. He moved around pretty well yesterday

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Kosi was the big positive for me early, but by the end of it I thought Rhys was the biggest positive (out of not many) for the night. Competed far better than I've ever seen him do before and for much more of the match, and actually looked like he belonged out there. Beat Nic Nat a few times in 50/50 ruck contests ruck as well, which was great to see. Also would have taken a couple more marks on the lead, I expect, if the kicks to him hadn't been so poor. Reckon our coaching staff would have been very happy with his game. Plenty to work on still, but very positive signs.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 11 Mar 2012 2:10pm, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Rhys had a taste and showed a little bit in last night's game. There were a couple of occasions where he could have taken the game on with his pace but tried to do the team thing. I think he will take the game on more and more as he gains confidence and a sense of belonging. At 200cm and with his pace he could develop into a pretty handy "forward-ruck", a similar position to Kosi. Ben McEvoy, on the other hand is a central/back-ruck. I believe that BOTH of these positions will develop further as the game evolves (especially if they bring in the 2-2 sub rule) over the next few years !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:Rhys had a taste and showed a little bit in last night's game. There were a couple of occasions where he could have taken the game on with his pace but tried to do the team thing. I think he will take the game on more and more as he gains confidence and a sense of belonging. At 200cm and with his pace he could develop into a pretty handy "forward-ruck", a similar position to Kosi. Ben McEvoy, on the other hand is a central/back-ruck. I believe that BOTH of these positions will develop further as the game evolves (especially if they bring in the 2-2 sub rule) over the next few years !!
Isn't the team-thing using your talents to best assist the team in winning?

In this example his talent would be pace and size and he had opportunities and used neither.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Promising. Needs to take a leaf from Buddy's book and take the game on more.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
MrCordz
Club Player

Munga wrote:Promising. Needs to take a leaf from Buddy's book and take the game on more.
This - his problem is above the shoulders

Humbly St. Kilda
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Given where the club and list is at I think the Club needs to role the dice and give our most promising developing players a goodly number of games this.

If it all clicks and goes well it could see us in the hunt finals time.
But irrespective of that it should position us better for 2013 and beyond.

Kosi IMO is a known quantity...so if it came to an either or choice at present I would go for Stanley as we need him to develop, and with his pace and agility he has many strings to his bow.

Steven should now be a regular.

Stanley, Cripps, Ledger and Siposs I would all like to see play a lot of football in 2012.
Simpkin probably needs to us well for his development, though he strikes me as only being a steady player.

From the little we have seen Saad probably should too. Milera I do not really know about, but there is a lot to like for with his pace and finishing skills it may assist in what is an area of weakness with our 22 at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Agree with that SR except for the Kosi part. He genuinely looked the best he has in a long time last night, probably since 2009. His marking was very, very impressive and he reckons he's in far better shape than he was last year, when he apparently wasn't even running at this stage. Having a pre-season is vitally important, especially for someone like him, I dare say.
I'd give him first crack, but I wouldn't have a major problem with having both he and Rhys up there, along with Roo. Roo was leading deep up to the wings last night anyway and that left more than enough room for Rhys and Kosi in behind him.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Promising. Needs to take a leaf from Buddy's book and take the game on more.
He certainly has that speed factor......I reckon Stanley needs a bit of a license and backing to get his confidence up.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We need to just persist with Stanley.
I have no problem playing 4 talls and I reckon Stanley is a genuine ruck follower who can go fwd.
Did some great things.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We need to just persist with Stanley.
I have no problem playing 4 talls and I reckon Stanley is a genuine ruck follower who can go fwd.
Did some great things.

Tell me you dont mean 4 talls in the forward line. Sides would rebound silly out of our forward line and then our mids and backs would be under huge pressure. I still reckon 3 talls is one to many. 2 talls and medium marking forward is ideal IMO plus 2 or 3 smaller types.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger has spoken

listen you must

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:plugger has spoken

listen you must

Great post. That is my opinion. I couldn't give a stuff who listens but I do reckon your posts show maturity beyond your ten years of age. Your parents must be so proud. At this rate they let you go straight to high school next year without year 6. Well done.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Did some great things.

Tell me you dont mean 4 talls in the forward line. Sides would rebound silly out of our forward line and then our mids and backs would be under huge pressure. I still reckon 3 talls is one to many. 2 talls and medium marking forward is ideal IMO plus 2 or 3 smaller types.
When we tried to play three talls deep in 2008 when G was still playing, it was a disaster and set us back for the firts half of that year.

Two deep and a lead up further up the ground is ok but you better have a bloody good mid field for it to work properly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Did some great things.

When we tried to play three talls deep in 2008 when G was still playing, it was a disaster and set us back for the firts half of that year.

Two deep and a lead up further up the ground is ok but you better have a bloody good mid field for it to work properly.

St Pav has spoken
Listen you must.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: St Pav has spoken
Listen you must.
If only people listened. You write something, I read then i respond..I thought that's how this thing works.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

From a tactical point of view, do we have a bit of a Pagans Paddock thing going on this year? If so, Saad and Rhys would be the direction to go.

With game time and some good results his confidence will sky rocket. Personally I just dont know but he has the tools...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!