Delahunty quote

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Delahunty quote

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

"This is disappointing because the Wangaratta rural city has gone to an enormous effort for this, so for them not to be here is disappointing," said Delahunty, who played 46 games for Essendon in the 1970s.

"But that's life. It doesn’t take away from St Kilda, they're the guys who have put on the show.

"They've done not only their club proud but football proud by putting in the effort they did."

Pretty high kudos given that it came from Hugh Delahunty, Minister for Sport and Recreation and a former Essendon player.

The way we've conducted ourselves in this unfortunate episode is a bonus, given our current hunt for sponsors and members. Could end up being more beneficial than a NAB cup win anyway, especially given our negative press in the last couple of years...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Re: Delahunty quote

Plus this from Pelchen:
"We remain more concerned for the City of Wangaratta and the disappointment that was experienced by the local community who supported the game despite extreme weather conditions,” said St Kilda’s head of football Chris Pelchen.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... w-20120304

Loving the fall out!

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Another nice PR win for the club, but I'm most disappointed that the players missed out on a proper hit out prior to round 1. Time is running out to get proper game time into the players prior to the Port Adelaide clash.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen is in good form.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Another nice PR win for the club, but I'm most disappointed that the players missed out on a proper hit out prior to round 1. Time is running out to get proper game time into the players prior to the Port Adelaide clash.
Oh God yeah a game would have been far better, without doubt. But lemons, making lemonade etc

yipper
SS Life Member

Don't reckon playing in those conditions would've added much to our preparation in my view. I actuallly think that the shortened intraclub will probably work more to our advantage than having them play a full game under water!!!

Think we may come out of this ok - not only with some excellent PR, but our blokes will have gotten enough work in the shortened game.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
defacto
Club Player

kind of shows where essendon are at.

their performance in perth was laughable. theyre in for a tough year!!!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:kind of shows where essendon are at.

their performance in perth was laughable. theyre in for a tough year!!!
Agree, I reckon they will struggle and the love affair they and the media have with Hird and the baby bummers will start to become strained

I love this club
python
Club Player

[quote="QuestionOfAccuracy"]Another nice PR win for the club, but I'm most disappointed that the players missed out on a proper hit out prior to round 1. Time is running out to get proper game time into the players prior to the Port Adelaide clash.[/quote]

Think about where Essendon are at... There was a quote from Hird on 360 the other saying that he'd been avoiding physical training as much as possible in order to have a full squad for round one, and was subsequently shocked at how advanced WC and Freo were in terms of tackling and pressure... And now they've missed another chance. Seems weird to me

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Don't reckon playing in those conditions would've added much to our preparation in my view. I actuallly think that the shortened intraclub will probably work more to our advantage than having them play a full game under water!!!

Think we may come out of this ok - not only with some excellent PR, but our blokes will have gotten enough work in the shortened game.

Agree

Not much match practise out of chasing around a slippery big cake of soap for 2 hours playing crash and bash footy.

Was a good result

Bring back the Lockett era