Paul Roos whacks Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Paul Roos whacks Watters

Was in the other thread, but lost abit amongst everything else.

For those that missed it, Paul Roos (seperate to the Lyon interview) had a go at Watters referring to the club as a basketcase when he took over.

This was the comment he put on screen, from this article....highlighted in red.

Arguably, St Kilda's soul has been scarred during the past 12 months.

"I'm respectful of an organisation where I've only been for two minutes," Watters said.

"But have there been some testing circumstances over the past two or three years? Absolutely.

"And have some of those situations been brought on by our behaviour? Probably. But what a new coach presents is an opportunity to reflect on a few things you want to change and have a big say in how you want to shape things going forward.

"I care about the (past) because we're all shaped by it to a degree and I need to get a feel about what imprint the past has had on this playing group.

"But in the brief period of time I've seen, the players can't help but sense an optimism and engagement to change. You don't have to be defined by your past."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6178908333

He went on to say that he took over from a club that had played in three grand finals, and that Watters should of taken the Chris Scott 'we are going to continue with the already wonderful culture' approach. Mike insinuated that Roos was sensitive, that it's only because it's his friend. That Scott should feel like coming in, he can make his own way and give his own impression.

Now we can honestly analyse if the attack by Paul was fair, or if the above is a perfectly justified comment.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paul Roos whacks Watters

.when your 'love' WALKS out the door ,
most peeps appreciate some emotional commonsense picture painting.

.no time for 'what if's & whys' in the wough and tumble of momentum & modern footy.

.stick head back up orifice roos ,
.finger on pulse watters.

.win , to us.
Last edited by asiu on Tue 21 Feb 2012 10:51am, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Roos stuffed his integrity when he used the "I know what happened, why Rossie left, he was right, St.kilda were wrong, but I won't say what I know" defence of Lyon over his departure. He attempted to judge us as guilty by innuendo, and convey it, and that's always cheap.
It's fine he's loyal to a mate, but keep your own conflicted interests out of the media, I say.
And, who in the hell doesn't believe we were scarred by the end of last year (apart from Roos)? If Roos can't see that conclusion as reasonable then he ain't no analytical commentator. Crikey, even Professor Mad Mick said we needed a hug after 2011.
What Watters said was fine. It was measured and balanced. He acknowledged what had gone and looked forward with optimism. Way better than Roos decidedly one sided contribution.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lyon clearly was offside with a number of younger players away from the core star group.

One can only wonder the effect that had on morale for the WHOLE team not just our superstar elite.

Roos is a turd IMO and should've kept his gob shut on this one.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Roos stuffed his integrity when he used the "I know what happened, why Rossie left, he was right, St.kilda were wrong, but I won't say what I know" defence of Lyon over his departure. He attempted to judge us as guilty by innuendo, and convey it, and that's always cheap.
It's fine he's loyal to a mate, but keep your own conflicted interests out of the media, I say.
And, who in the hell doesn't believe we were scarred by the end of last year (apart from Roos)? If Roos can't see that conclusion as reasonable then he ain't no analytical commentator. Crikey, even Professor Mad Mick said we needed a hug after 2011.
What Watters said was fine. It was measured and balanced. He acknowledged what had gone and looked forward with optimism. Way better than Roos decidedly one sided contribution.

+1
Well put, IMO.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Roos stuffed his integrity when he used the "I know what happened, why Rossie left, he was right, St.kilda were wrong, but I won't say what I know" defence of Lyon over his departure. He attempted to judge us as guilty by innuendo, and convey it, and that's always cheap.
+1
--------------------------

Roos slams Watters becuae he is being honest. Maybe Roos can take a leaf out of Scotts book.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

+1
Well put, IMO.
+ another 1 here.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep well said TOT, nothing wrong with a cuddle ;)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I thought the attack was fair.

I remember that article and I think it was really worded badly by Watters at the time.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Yep well said TOT, nothing wrong with a cuddle ;)
Hubby in business tonight then K? :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Lyon clearly was offside with a number of younger players away from the core star group.

One can only wonder the effect that had on morale for the WHOLE team not just our superstar elite.

Great stuff. Continues a long line of made up rubbish.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
+1
--------------------------

Roos slams Watters becuase Watters is being honest. Maybe Roos can take a leaf out of Scotts book.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Lyon clearly was offside with a number of younger players away from the core star group.

Rubbish eh?

Well according to Armo's brother it was good to see the back of Lyon for one.

What is your take on the situation Mr expert?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Rubbish eh?

Well according to Armo's brother it was good to see the back of Lyon for one.

What is your take on the situation Mr expert?

Yes so what is your point? I can probably name others as well just like there were some with GT and will be some with Watters no matter how good or bad of a coach he is but to say that could effect the morale of the whole team to me is just made up rubbish.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Paul Roos is so caught up in the fact of how good a bloke he reckons he is.

saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Was in the other thread, but lost abit amongst everything else.

For those that missed it, Paul Roos (seperate to the Lyon interview) had a go at Watters referring to the club as a basketcase when he took over.

This was the comment he put on screen, from this article....highlighted in red.

Arguably, St Kilda's soul has been scarred during the past 12 months.

"I'm respectful of an organisation where I've only been for two minutes," Watters said.

"But have there been some testing circumstances over the past two or three years? Absolutely.

"And have some of those situations been brought on by our behaviour? Probably. But what a new coach presents is an opportunity to reflect on a few things you want to change and have a big say in how you want to shape things going forward.

"I care about the (past) because we're all shaped by it to a degree and I need to get a feel about what imprint the past has had on this playing group.

"But in the brief period of time I've seen, the players can't help but sense an optimism and engagement to change. You don't have to be defined by your past."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6178908333

He went on to say that he took over from a club that had played in three grand finals, and that Watters should of taken the Chris Scott 'we are going to continue with the already wonderful culture' approach. Mike insinuated that Roos was sensitive, that it's only because it's his friend. That Scott should feel like coming in, he can make his own way and give his own impression.

Now we can honestly analyse if the attack by Paul was fair, or if the above is a perfectly justified comment.
I agree SainterK that this strange snippet got lost in all the detail of the interview that followed, but I did find it weird.

I was a Fitzroy supporter growing up and Paul Roos was my idol which disappoints me even more with what he said.

I think he's possibly too emotionally involved in the issue.

His whack of Watters to me seemed completely unjustified. I don't even think he understood the context of the original quote.

I don't think Watters was having a go at Lyon in that comment in any way.. At the time, and again reading it now, I have no problem with him
saying you don't have to be defined by your past. I saw that more as the scars from losing the three grandfinals and nearly making it and also the
off field stuff.....that those things don't have to define you and you can make your own future. That's how I took it, so I was quite shocked with the
Roos comments last night. I also was surprised with the comparison to Chris Scott. Its a hell of a lot easier to sit back and fit in with the place
when the team have played in three GF's in a row - winning two, and have had very few off field issues. Much easier to stoll in and not say a lot in those circumstances.
When the club has the scars that we have and copped heaps of bad press and had the year from hell off the field, of course you're going to come out spruiking change.. while remaining respectful of what has come before him which he has been from day 1. He's facing facts - there have been issues, we need to change the way we do things. Not a
secret to anyone I wouldn't have thought. Roosy seems to have quite a bee in his bonnet about St Kilda in general now and this seems
to have flowed over into his analysis of the new coach. It will be interesting when Watters has his interview on On the Couch.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Think it's pretty much time to ignore anything Roos has to say about our club for the time being.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St Sizzle

Con has nailed it again,couldn t agree more

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

interesting that they made a point of pointing out that Roosy DID not have contact with Ross during that week- and he didn't know before everyone eles..
at what point last year did Roos start pushing the 'nettlefold Knows why... issue?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Agree the comparison with Scott at Geelong is ridiculous. Their culture over the last few years was making GFs and winning most of them while ours was making GFs and losing them. Why wouldn't our players be looking for change, for optimism?

Really, if Roos wants to make money from being a media commentator then he should have the good sense to disqualify himself from discussing anything regarding Ross Lyon. It's just embarrassing.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

We just had 4 players suspended for mixing medication and alcohol to get a buzz whilst on a work-related trip and the Kim Duthie Affair. Of course we were a bit of a basketcase.

That was not The Bossco's fault and Scott Watters was certainly not inferring anything like that.

It is bizarre Roos would tee off like that.

Fact is we had a bit of a history of off-field garbage and the problems remained for at least a portion of the season thus affecting performance.

Plus the fact that Brendon Goddard put in super-human performances come the finals only to be let down by complete retards like Andrew McQualter and one can see why he was cranky. Hell if it was me I would have beaten the poorer performers in my team if I had put in the efforts similar to Goddard.

We were a fractured team for multiple reasons.

Oh and Zac left. That completely ruined the circle of trust. Cough.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote: Oh and Zac left. That completely ruined the circle of trust. Cough.
anyone note what freo did before their game on Sunday :shock:
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 21 Feb 2012 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
hAyES
Club Player

I agree with what Sheahan said in that he was just being over sensitive because Ross is a good mate of his. There was nothing in what Watters said at all.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"Ross? I love him, I wanna boof him!"

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I also agree with SainterK that there is nothing wrong with a cuddle. Providing it do :roll: 'snt occur out there on the ground, as per soccer! :roll: