Which rule will they/ should they target?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Which rule will they/ should they target?

whilst watching a game from 1998 where the commentors and video clearly displayed a case of bad acting- whiplash evident before bump connected- I was reminded that whilst a couple of players admitted to 'diving/ acting' for frees I have yet to recall anyone being pinged for it, despite there now being alaw against it

should this be one of the areas targetted?
or is there another area of teh game that needs corrcting more urgently.
the AFL are suggesting they willbe looking at off the ball incidents more closely

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 1ol9l.html

BTW the deliberate out of bounds was rampant in the 1998 games I;ve been watching- and players didn't hide their intent.

referances for Rules and player guidelines
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs ... 2011-1.pdf

Tribunal
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs ... 2011-1.pdf

Laws of the Game
http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_doc ... l_2011.pdf

BTW the deliberate out of bounds was rampant in the 1998 games I've been watching- and players didn't hide their intent.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67704

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Which rule will they/ should they target?

If you look at modern soccer, the behaviour FIFA describes as "simulation" - that is, staging for penalties and free kicks - is the greatest blight on that game. I think AFL has been steadily - albeit more slowly - heading in the same direction.

IMO, the way it should be addressed is by the match review panel. They are quite happy to make all sorts of complicated technical assessments about the nature of contacts, so why not look at "non-contacts" in the same way: focusing on the really blatant cases. Obviously, the starting point would be a warning to the players concerned. If they keep doing it after being warned - perhaps on a "three strikes and you're out" system - they they should be suspended for one game.

Everyone hates it, it's systematic cheating akin to deliberately having 19 players on the field or some such, so why wouldn't the AFL want to do something about it?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

personally I was very frustrated last year when kosi was suspended for a "sling" tackle which did not require malice, rather a resultant injury.

To my mind it was a completely fair tackle which resulted in an unfortunate injury. I doubt even the victim would testify to Kosi's intent.

It's worrying in a game which requires the use of force to prohibit movement eg "tackling" which can result in injury without any intent, should begin to prosecute players for that act based on the result of the tackle.

I thought it was really unfair what happened to Koschitzke. I dont think it's in the spirit of fair play!

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
andolater

penalising a player by pinging him for holding the ball when he is the only one who wants to pick it up off the ground. Tough to work out a rule for but it gives me the s***s

hAyES
Club Player

They should definitely do something about staging for free kicks. It's embarrassing to watch.

Their stubbornness to keep the hands in the back rule in is also embarrassing. It's a contact sport and under no circumstances should a player receive a free kick for being touched.

Those two things you could almost say bring the game into disrepute!

PJ
SS Life Member

The biggest problem with the umpiring is the amount of interpretation being asked of our men in white - this is leading to multiple versions and interpretations. You never know what you are going to get from game to game. I wish the umpires would come out and say we are going to keep it simple and not add to the confusion instead of "which rule are we going to over analyse and over penalise".

My favourite rule interpretation last year was Joey's 60 metre kick that rolled out of bounds whilst going into our forward line.

The umps should just watch the play and stop trying to interpret every players intensions and every possible scenario.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Take intent out of it.
If it goes out of bounds free kick against last to touch, if last contact indecisive throw in.
Works for every other ball game.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Superboot
SS Life Member

I think the most irritating is where the player is paid a free for head high contact when he has dived headlong into someone's stationary shins.