Clearance players top 3

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Clearance players top 3

Yes I know rotations mean you need 6-8 blokes who can play midfield and win clearances but who do people think are our best 3?

Bear in mind we finished 14th last year at clearances which is semi disastrous so it is probably the number one issue for us to improve on in 2012.

For me it would Lenny, Steven, Armo.

I'm sure someone can shed some stats on this.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 19 Jan 2012 2:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You need more than 6 in a game and that was our problem last year. We probably only had 6 or 7. With Lenny coming back and Ladger in his second year that will help but again I expect it to be our main issue. BJ isnt a clearance player but Dal did come on last year in that area and Steve really seems to be a great clearance player because he can actually run with the ball when he gets it. Probably need at least 10 players rotating through the middle in games.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clearance players top 3

Con Gorozidis wrote:Yes know rotations mean you need 6 blokes who can play midfield and win clearances but who do people think are our best 3?

Bear in mind we finished 14th last year at clearances which is semi disastrous so it is probably the number one issue for us to improve on in 2012.

For me it would Lenny, Steven, Armo.

I'm sure someone can shed some stats on this.
14th in anything IS disastrous. especially in clearances, tackles and contested footy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:You need more than 6 in a game and that was our problem last year. We probably only had 6 or 7. With Lenny coming back and Ladger in his second year that will help but again I expect it to be our main issue. BJ isnt a clearance player but Dal did come on last year in that area and Steve really seems to be a great clearance player because he can actually run with the ball when he gets it. Probably need at least 10 players rotating through the middle in games.
Armitage will probably be given more opportunites in the middle to improve this part of his game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Gershwin
Club Player

Ruckmen play an important part in clearances too. McEvoy not a good tap ruckman.
Hayes will be a big help - good at blocking for the likes of Dal Santo and Montagna.

summertime and the living is easy ........
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jones worked well in the clearances in 2011 and is less exposed on his disposal when getting it out quickly. He should be used at times also.

I would love Schnieder to be fit enough to get a crack in the midfield, he has the build for it and would be deadly accurate out of the middle.

Saintersss
Club Player

Best 3:

Hayes, Dal and Steven.

But after that it falls away... Armitage, Jones, Ledger?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:Best 3:

Hayes, Dal and Steven.

But after that it falls away... Armitage, Jones, Ledger?
I'm not dissing Armo but he is still an unknown quantity because he never got a real chance to show his wares.

Jones can play as an in and under player so would be ahead at this stage.

I see ledger as a skillful Dal style player long term more outside mid with goal kicking ability.

Dal is so good down back in the absence of gwilt he might get played there.

DWOODROW
Club Player

I would say Armo is up there when he is in the middle, well he was at the start of last year and then he played forward for the rest of the year.

People might say he can win clearances from the forward line and this is true but the amount of clearances will not add up as he did not have the chance to run back into defence to help clear as well and running back into defence isn't/ wasn't apart of the HFF role.

Last year, we saw Steven, emerge as a clearance player to an extent.

This year I think we will have significant contributions from Dave, Lenny, and Steven. Should be quite a team actually.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Lyons' tactics were good at keeping the opposition from getting the ball, but at some stage if you want to win, you need to get the ball yourself and let others do the chasing. Although Armo and Steven are good, they really need to work on pace- I think our midfield has been a bit slow and tend to stop and prop, so I hope we get more run happening in 2012.

Richter
SS Life Member

I see Armo as on the cusp. He performed well out of the middle for the first first 8 games last year, but then with the emergence of Jack, he was moved to the defensive forward role.

Armo gets the ball well, is a strong man in close, but has to develop his ability to clear the ball by the 'run and spread' method - where he is demonstrably poorer than say Jack or Lenny. Whilst he can bulldoze his way through, at times this can lead to him being caught in possesion. His disposal can sometimes be 'iffy' but basically he is a solid kick off the boot, and with a little more composure out of the middle has the potential IMO to be a better kick than either Jack or Lenny (the one less than elite area of Lenny's game). I hope that he and the fitness staff have been working on his acceleration off the mark, as that is the single biggest area he could improve on athletically for mine.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
DWOODROW
Club Player

I agree with the above.

Armo does his best work when he attacks the footy gets the ball and dishes off to those in the clear. His slight lack of pace doesn't really allow him to break free.

Steven on the other hand seems to be able to slip free and clear the pack so to speak which is his attribute.

So if dave wins the hard ball and dishes to Steven we are good to go. :D

Both work well and this year with Lenny to lead the way should help improve both players games immensely.

paddy
Club Player

Love watching Armo lay a big tackle.

He is a pretty big unit, but I think both he and Steven try to run through the pack, which looks great when it works, does lead to alot of holding the ball frees.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:I would say Armo is up there when he is in the middle, well he was at the start of last year and then he played forward for the rest of the year.

People might say he can win clearances from the forward line and this is true but the amount of clearances will not add up as he did not have the chance to run back into defence to help clear as well and running back into defence isn't/ wasn't apart of the HFF role.

This year I think we will have significant contributions from Dave, Lenny, and Steven. Should be quite a team actually.
Dave is capable of being the Luke Ball style player we all thought he could be. Under Lyon he was shuffled around and never got a full time spot.

When they played the B team against the Hawks in Tassie and Dave was given an opportunity, he showed how effective he could be. I think both Armo and Steven are not ridiculously fast but in that role it isn't a prerequisite.

Steven especially can be fast in bursts and should be a very versatile player under a new coach.

As I said I wasn't dissing him, just mean he is behind Jones because of a lack of opportunity not ability.

DWOODROW
Club Player

gringo wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:I would say Armo is up there when he is in the middle, well he was at the start of last year and then he played forward for the rest of the year.

Dave is capable of being the Luke Ball style player we all thought he could be. Under Lyon he was shuffled around and never got a full time spot.

When they played the B team against the Hawks in Tassie and Dave was given an opportunity, he showed how effective he could be. I think both Armo and Steven are not ridiculously fast but in that role it isn't a prerequisite.

Steven especially can be fast in bursts and should be a very versatile player under a new coach.

As I said I wasn't dissing him, just mean he is behind Jones because of a lack of opportunity not ability.
You can say whatever you like about Dave. My head isn't in the sand and I know he has things to work on. His attitude over christmas towards his training and his mental maturity impressed me. I think things are starting to fall into place for him and I think the new coaching staff have a lot to do with it.
He knows what is required of him and I personally think he may surprise a few this year.
Fingers crossed

gringo
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
gringo wrote:

You can say whatever you like about Dave. My head isn't in the sand and I know he has things to work on. His attitude over christmas towards his training and his mental maturity impressed me. I think things are starting to fall into place for him and I think the new coaching staff have a lot to do with it.
He knows what is required of him and I personally think he may surprise a few this year.
Fingers crossed
Hope your right I have been a big fan and have been trying to tell everyone for ages he will be a gun. Opportunities open up under new coaches and Dave is one of a handful of players I can imagine may just fly given the chance.

Others are Stanley, Geary, Simpkin, Cripps and Ledger. All of them are capable and given the chance might jump at the opportunity. Lenny will be limited in output compared to the past so should be a spot for Dave there.

Maybe a swap for the defensive forward role, would love to see Lenny resting forward then Hamilling Harry Obrien or Heath Shaw.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:You need more than 6 in a game and that was our problem last year. We probably only had 6 or 7. With Lenny coming back and Ladger in his second year that will help but again I expect it to be our main issue. BJ isnt a clearance player but Dal did come on last year in that area and Steve really seems to be a great clearance player because he can actually run with the ball when he gets it. Probably need at least 10 players rotating through the middle in games.
All good. But who are top 3? Agree that BJ is rubbish at clearances.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Well Lenny is number one and clearly. Armo gets a lot of clearances but they arent really good clearances for the side so I would have Dal at 2 and Steven at 3.

Saintersss
Club Player

spert wrote:Lyons' tactics were good at keeping the opposition from getting the ball, but at some stage if you want to win, you need to get the ball yourself and let others do the chasing. Although Armo and Steven are good, they really need to work on pace- I think our midfield has been a bit slow and tend to stop and prop, so I hope we get more run happening in 2012.
Steven is not slow. He may run like a duck, but a very quick duck. Very similar to Dane Swan.

sainterjo
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote: His attitude over christmas towards his training and his mental maturity impressed me. I think things are starting to fall into place for him and I think the new coaching staff have a lot to do with it.
=

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Well Lenny is number one and clearly. Armo gets a lot of clearances but they arent really good clearances for the side so I would have Dal at 2 and Steven at 3.
Unless someone gives it to the opposition how can a clearance be bad for the team???? :?:

DWOODROW
Club Player

sainterjo wrote:
DWOODROW wrote: His attitude over christmas towards his training and his mental maturity impressed me. I think things are starting to fall into place for him and I think the new coaching staff have a lot to do with it.
=

hahaha yes. See he looks happier already. :D

DWOODROW
Club Player

What about Ledger?

Does anyone think he could slip in somewhere this year. I have been impressed from what little I have seen of him and think he could end up being a top player in the AFL.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:What about Ledger?

Does anyone think he could slip in somewhere this year. I have been impressed from what little I have seen of him and think he could end up being a top player in the AFL.
will be part of the extra rotations u would think.
i see him coming on as a sub. seems like an "impact player" in the 3rd quarter maybe.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Unless someone gives it to the opposition how can a clearance be bad for the team???? :?:
Sorry I must have missed the post where I said they were bad for the team. I just think Armo's clearance work doesnt help the team a great deal because he doesnt run and carry it much at all. He does get the ball in clearances but it is usually under extreme pressure. I think Armo is a reasonably good player but IMo he isnt in our top 3 at clearances. Surely it isnt a crime to have that opinion.