Milney surprises Scott- Article /s

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Milney surprises Scott- Article /s

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 1ocnv.html
Asked yesterday if there was a particular player that had surprised him behind closed doors, Watters offered up the man originally unwanted by Essendon in 1999 when he was dropped off its supplementary list.

''It's probably unfair to pull out one or two [players], but I guess, just from an immediate impact, Stephen Milne,'' he said. ''I didn't realise how committed he was to the team. He shows that in his training, his voice, his communication, continually being a really good role model for the other players.''
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Milne said it was a ''massive shock'' when Lyon left for Fremantle but said the Saints' key group of senior players was determined to ensure the good times returned after a tumultuous 2011 campaign.

''There was a lot of talk in trade week that people were going, but all the senior core players are really strong and really a close-knit group,'' he said. ''For no players to stand up except [Zac] Dawson, who was offered a contract but wanted to go to Fremantle, other than that we stuck together and are really looking forward to attacking the new season under a new coach and a new game plan.

''Hopefully, I have two or three years left. Hopefully sneak that premiership in the next couple of years.''

and
Watters has glared at him from the opposition bench, but on watching him at close quarters at St Kilda he has a new respect.

"Steve has made an enormous impact. I did not realise how committed he is to the team. He is a good role model and he has surprised me a little,'' Watters said. Milne said he was excited to have a new coach and a new game plan, despite the loss of mentor and coach of five years Ross Lyon.

"It is like being in school for the first day - everything is new and fresh even though I've been at the club for 10 years,'' Milne said of the five new coaches and draft and rookie player additions.

"I have been lucky with injuries over the years and I reckon I have two or three years left in me, and hopefully we can sneak a premiership in that time.'' Watters also signaled that Koschitzke was another player who could find himself in various roles in 2012.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/c ... 6213084268

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Geez we are in huge trouble if we are thinking about putting a 31 year old who has spent most of his life in a forward pocket into the middle.

If Watters changes the game plan too much then he has no intention of vying for a flag in 2012. It worked at Geelong because the new coach did stuff all except attend press conferences.

A ridiculous idea.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Geez we are in huge trouble if we are thinking about putting a 31 year old who has spent most of his life in a forward pocket into the middle.

If Watters changes the game plan too much then he has no intention of vying for a flag in 2012. It worked at Geelong because the new coach did stuff all except attend press conferences.

A ridiculous idea.
Hed is trying to be more flexible. I dont think Milne would be put in the midfield all the time but a Forward Pocket who then moves into the midfield at times throughout the match.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Geez we are in huge trouble if we are thinking about putting a 31 year old who has spent most of his life in a forward pocket into the middle.

A ridiculous idea.
Your results are back

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think it a good option for when Milne is getting beaten i.e. O'Brien getting on top of him, put him into the centre for five minutes. imo he is pretty clean, explosive and composed in tight, and can tackle.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's just adding "options" to moving players around, changing the set-up for a while during a game.

I can recall Milney having spent time in the middle, plenty of times last year. It's not a major change.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

He had time in the middle over the last two years, even taking hitouts

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:He had time in the middle over the last two years, even taking hitouts
Exactly.

Most likely he will spend the majority of time up fwd though.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

It is about time he was rated for what he has done over a career. Bakes and Milne are the guys in the sporting club that have the guys around them up. Loudest singer after a win the first to congratulate the others well done Milney.

saintDal
Club Player

Was our best player in the first quarter of the final against Geelong last year playing in the middle.

jays
Club Player

well done milne

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

A ridiculous idea.
Your results are back

And you are either a prozac fuelled old woman or just a happy clapper. Maybe even both. But either way you seem fake to me.

Schillaci
Club Player

Nice article. Good to see Milney copping his share of positive press over the last 6 months...he deserves it after all he's been through and all he has done for the saints.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

A ridiculous idea.
He often has a run in the middle and with good results already. His hand and footskills are better than good. He's instinctively creative. There's no mention of anything beyond 'maybe a bit more time'.

Why, in those circumstances, is it ridiculous?

I don't understand you at all.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Too poor defensively....and like Scnhnieder, whilst they have good skills......their running power and tank would be exposed....

Bursts for two minutes....at maximum....if he spent ten minuteds on the ball

his opponent (say, andrew swallow) would touch it ten times

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Too poor defensively....and like Scnhnieder, whilst they have good skills......their running power and tank would be exposed....

Bursts for two minutes....at maximum....if he spent ten minuteds on the ball

his opponent (say, andrew swallow) would touch it ten times
I'm pretty sure, if you read the article, little more than that would be proposed...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:And you are either a prozac fuelled old woman or just a happy clapper. Maybe even both. But either way you seem fake to me.
An anonymous character on a sporting forum? Fake?? It can't be.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

A ridiculous idea.
He often has a run in the middle and with good results already. His hand and footskills are better than good. He's instinctively creative. There's no mention of anything beyond 'maybe a bit more time'.

Why, in those circumstances, is it ridiculous?

I don't understand you at all.
Spot on Thinline.

There’s been a lot of posts in the last few months in regards to players we’ve kept, players we’ve lost, players we’re looking to step up etc.

Invariably there are replies along the lines of:

"If we’re relying on Dawson we’re in big trouble"
"If we’re relying on Walsh we’re in big trouble"
"If we’re relying on Blake we’re in big trouble"
"If we’re relying on Ray we’re in big trouble"

And now

"If we’re relying on Milne in the middle we’re in big trouble"

Yet in the majority of cases the poster is not suggesting we’re relying on that particular player; they’re simply presenting a case in favour of the player in question.

repta
Club Player

Around the ground Milne goes missing too easily. If he isnt getting the ball push him up. Try a pitch hit with him from the middle as a one off. He is hardly and gather and run type player. Far to valuable near the goal. 3 kicks 3 goals. Would think from the center it would be 3 kicks 3 turnovers.
Let the only goal hungry player in StKilda feast in the goal square

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Agree with BigMart.

Hasn't got the tank.

A couple of minutes at a time would be the maximum.

Still, it could be used to good effect, if done prudently.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

take a chill pill.
Coaches say the same things every year. "Oh yeah we are might move milney (schneids) in to the mid field and kosi might get a run down back. gilbo and fisher might run fwd etc etc etc etc.
coaches say all sorts of things in the pre-season. Wont happen.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:take a chill pill.
Coaches say the same things every year. "Oh yeah we are might move milney (schneids) in to the mid field and kosi might get a run down back. gilbo and fisher might run fwd etc etc etc etc.
coaches say all sorts of things in the pre-season. Wont happen.
I tend to agree...how was Gilbert's season in the forward pocket this year?