etihad a disaster for "battler" clubs, says eddie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

etihad a disaster for "battler" clubs, says eddie

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 6170142737

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has labelled Etihad Stadium "the greatest disaster in football".

The Herald Sun revealed North Melbourne, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs had suffered another year of dismal financial results at the Docklands ground.

North Melbourne's total earnings from 11 home games at Etihad was just $1.2 million.

But $1.1 million, or $100,000 per game, was AFL-guaranteed as part of a deal for all clubs playing home games at Etihad and the MCG. The Roos' net profit from gate takings at Etihad was a paltry $97,540.

St Kilda estimates it would be $2.3 million better off if it played all its home games at the MCG.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

poor you says eddie as he rakes in his millions for his club.
and poor us the AFL didn't give us a hand out..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Trying to look like a man of the people while he sucks caviar through a straw made from endangered white rhino foreskins in his gold plated car. He could just announce that Collingwood is so determined to right it they will sacrifice some of their gate from all games.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So Demetriou is a pimp and our club is a prostitute.

What's new?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

The numbers make a lot of sense and eddie in this one case is right.

the situation is ducklands can charge what it likes because we have no choice.

We can't go back to moorabin or AFL/VFL park where we would make a tonne of money and the MCG doesn't have the capacity for us.

So collo can charge us whatever the fork he likes.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Eddie could volunteer Collingwood to play home games there v Freo, Port, GWS, GC, Bris etc and allow other clubs more access to the MCG. Its the games v the poorer drawing interstate clubs that REALLY HURT !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintus

Collingwood plays 5 games interstate next year. Something we all wanted because they have such a comfy run interstate with 4 games only. That along with their blockbusters etc means that they will prob only play 3 at Etihad cos they have an agreement to play 14 at the MCG their home ground.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintus wrote:Collingwood plays 5 games interstate next year. Something we all wanted because they have such a comfy run interstate with 4 games only. That along with their blockbusters etc means that they will prob only play 3 at Etihad cos they have an agreement to play 14 at the MCG their home ground.
Their arrangement up until this year was 16 games at the MCG, 2 at Etihad & 4 interstate, including the game at ANZ v Sydney. Lets just wait & see if the AFL finally decides to place fairness ahead of $$$$$$$. I doubt it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintus

Eastern wrote:
saintus wrote:Collingwood plays 5 games interstate next year. Something we all wanted because they have such a comfy run interstate with 4 games only. That along with their blockbusters etc means that they will prob only play 3 at Etihad cos they have an agreement to play 14 at the MCG their home ground.
Their arrangement up until this year was 16 games at the MCG, 2 at Etihad & 4 interstate, including the game at ANZ v Sydney. Lets just wait & see if the AFL finally decides to place fairness ahead of $$$$$$$. I doubt it !!
No they played 4 at Etihad 2 away and 2 home games. They only played 14 at the MCG 9 home games and 5 away. Carlton Essendon Geelong Hawthorn and Melbourne.

saintus

The AFL should use the television rights money to Buy back Etihad and get rid of Collins, he is only there to line his own pockets. Carlton and Us both made a mistake by going there. Promised big but delivered very little. Also surface kills us as far as injuries goes.

older saint
SS Life Member

Everyone forgets Eddie was one of the key players behind the push to sell Waverley Park ( the AFL owned venue) to get the money better working for clubs - a large portion of which was dumped in to Docklands with the promise of future ownership .

The AFL have been bent over good and proper as they backed themselves in to a corner with Docklands as they had no alternative due to the ground rationalisation policies of the 90's. Docklands management knows this and holds the AFL to ransom as "where else are they going to play".

The AFL needs to properly compensate clubs for losses suffered. There is no such thing as a home ground for Melbourne clubs, you play where you are fixtured.

Skildir
Club Player

Most outrageous Etihad gouge of recent months: charging 20c for tomato sauce.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

older saint wrote:Everyone forgets Eddie was one of the key players behind the push to sell Waverley Park ( the AFL owned venue) to get the money better working for clubs - a large portion of which was dumped in to Docklands with the promise of future ownership .

The AFL have been bent over good and proper as they backed themselves in to a corner with Docklands as they had no alternative due to the ground rationalisation policies of the 90's. Docklands management knows this and holds the AFL to ransom as "where else are they going to play".

The AFL needs to properly compensate clubs for losses suffered. There is no such thing as a home ground for Melbourne clubs, you play where you are fixtured.
I believe the AFL can go back to the issue of pourage rights if it wants, so it can put pressure back on Collins.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We seriously need to look at playing Freo, Port, Sun. GWS etc at Skilled Stadium.

Even 15k there would give us a better return than Crocklands.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We seriously need to look at playing Freo, Port, Sun. GWpaS etc at Skilled Stadium.

You've got my vote joff.

Ahh, to be able to walk to the footy once more :)

Rosco
Club Player

i'd take that. as long as it's an afternoon game.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Is that you in the new Avater Doc ??

Yes, we would probably make more at Skilled Stadium, but the AFL will not let it happen !

ThePunter
Club Player

As long as the AFL adequately compensates the club, which I believe will begin to happen in 2012, then just ignore the barbs from the MCG clubs' supporters and continue knocking them off at the Dome.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We seriously need to look at playing Freo, Port, Sun. GWS etc at Skilled Stadium.

Great idea agree completely, but the friggin AFL have a 42 game a year contract with Jihad.

They can't help themselves but screw us over.

I'd be happy to drive down to Sleepy Hollow a couple of times a year for a 1 pm start time against low drawing interstate teams. With the 15K crowd at least there would be some decent atmosphere, together with the money we'd make.

This is a better option than Tassie or Canberra IMHFO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
joffaboy wrote:We seriously need to look at playing Freo, Port, Sun. GWS etc at Skilled Stadium.

Great idea agree completely, but the friggin AFL have a 42 game a year contract with Jihad.

They can't help themselves but screw us over.

I'd be happy to drive down to Sleepy Hollow a couple of times a year for a 1 pm start time against low drawing interstate teams. With the 15K crowd at least there would be some decent atmosphere, together with the money we'd make.

This is a better option than Tassie or Canberra IMHFO.
Geelong make money because it is what is known as a clean stadium. If we went there we would be charged rent and I doubt it would be a clean stadium for us. Also we wouldnt be able to arrange all the permanent seat holders tickets and that is again where Geelong make huge money.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

you're kidding - you wouldnt get 15,000 sainters down at sleepy hollow
maybe half that would face the elements in the wind and the rain
a few thousand curious local catters
a handfull of interstaters
its too comfortable at docklands

Seeya
Dave Robicheaux
Club Player

better off at the bayou y'all :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)

Y'all better blow it off now